Sponsored

How do you know you need a dual battery setup?

mortalsphere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator wannabe
Hey everyone,

I don't have a Gladiator yet. I am doing some planning before I pull the trigger (budgets being what they are...). How can you determine when you need a dual battery setup? Also, how do you know when the 400W inverter is insufficient? If you can't tell already, I'm not familiar with this kind of setup.

Eventually, I would like to hook up some kind of heating system for the bed (for a dog), aux fog lights, and maybe a winch down the road. There's a possibility I would use more power from the bed, but I think it's not likely in the near future. That being said, the Aux Switch Group and Cargo Management Group seem helpful for this.

Is a dual battery setup necessary for the above? The Genesis system, which I discovered on here, looks perfect. But is it overkill?

Thanks for any advice! 👍

P.S. Bonus points for anyone who can talk me out of test driving a Tundra on Friday.
Sponsored

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Hey everyone,

I don't have a Gladiator yet. I am doing some planning before I pull the trigger (budgets being what they are...). How can you determine when you need a dual battery setup? Also, how do you know when the 400W inverter is insufficient? If you can't tell already, I'm not familiar with this kind of setup.

Eventually, I would like to hook up some kind of heating system for the bed (for a dog), aux fog lights, and maybe a winch down the road. There's a possibility I would use more power from the bed, but I think it's not likely in the near future. That being said, the Aux Switch Group and Cargo Management Group seem helpful for this.

Is a dual battery setup necessary for the above? The Genesis system, which I discovered on here, looks perfect. But is it overkill?

Thanks for any advice! 👍

P.S. Bonus points for anyone who can talk me out of test driving a Tundra on Friday.
An all new Tundra is coming out next year. If you want a Tundra I would wait for that announcement. If you don't like the 2022 after it gets announced the 2021's will be on a massive sale.
There, no test drive for you.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Is 400W enough?
What do you plan on using the plug for?
A 400W heater isn't very much, and it'll run the battery dead in short order. You'll be drawing nearly 40A off the battery!

And keep in mind that tundra is just basically frozen grass...

Kevin

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Expect to pay full retail and not pass a gas station if you get the 5.7L.

OP
OP

mortalsphere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator wannabe
An all new Tundra is coming out next year. If you want a Tundra I would wait for that announcement. If you don't like the 2022 after it gets announced the 2021's will be on a massive sale.
There, no test drive for you.
Haha, I did hear about the 2022. Honestly, the only reason I'm considering it is sheer size for a family and a dog.

Is 400W enough?
What do you plan on using the plug for?
A 400W heater isn't very much, and it'll run the battery dead in short order. You'll be drawing nearly 40A off the battery!

And keep in mind that tundra is just basically frozen grass...

Kevin
So, I keep reading that... The battery will be drained in short order if using the factory plug. Why would they even include it then? Just to check a box? I guess a better question is, what CAN you plug into the factory bed outlet without running out the battery quickly?

In keeping with my original post, I would use the plug for heating the bed (with a topper, of course... not just to fart in the wind), and set up aux fog lights and maybe a winch with the Aux Switch Group. I can see myself running more electronics from the bed (such as ground lighting, laptop, radio charging stations, etc.), so having that capability would be nice. As I write that, I suppose it seems rather obvious that I will need another battery, doesn't it... 😬

NEXT QUESTION! Would anyone be willing to share links to get me started on what I will need to do? I will edit the OP so other beginners like me have a one-stop shop.

Expect to pay full retail and not pass a gas station if you get the 5.7L.
Yeah, that's true, especially considering gas mileage.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
So, I keep reading that... The battery will be drained in short order if using the factory plug. Why would they even include it then? Just to check a box? I guess a better question is, what CAN you plug into the factory bed outlet without running out the battery quickly?
As you mentioned, lighting and device chargers will work. Cordless tool battery charging, electronics, other low-wattage toys.
Pretty much anything heating-wise, or something that gets hot, will use too much power for the inverter. The same for most things with motors, like corded power tools.
You could always up-size the inverter, but you’ll still run into battery limitations. My motorhome has a 1200W inverter, and 400Ah of battery (which is 4 golf cart batteries) and it’ll only run an electric heater for 3-4 hours.

Kevin

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I don’t know of anyone who uses an electric heater for sleeping. Resistance heaters just draw too much amperage.
A lot of guys who want to use a heater use a “Little Buddy” propane fired heater in their RTT or similar set up. Check them out.

As for the Tundra goes it’s an apples to oranges comparison. The tundra is larger but the Gladiator will take you places you can’t get to in a tundra....

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I think some of the overland Youtubers do, but they use a big external battery like Jackery, not the truck power.

https://www.jackery.com/products/ex...uE9Tll1p2At5vYkLSwZz9-gXusaG32lIaAlo_EALw_wcB
Unfortunately those Jackery batteries and others like it won’t last very long. Probably not the whole night depending on the temps. Then how are you going to charge it back up?? Jackery’s are good for charging your cell phone and possible a portable fridge but not a heater.

OP
OP

mortalsphere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator wannabe
As you mentioned, lighting and device chargers will work. Cordless tool battery charging, electronics, other low-wattage toys.
Pretty much anything heating-wise, or something that gets hot, will use too much power for the inverter. The same for most things with motors, like corded power tools.
You could always up-size the inverter, but you’ll still run into battery limitations. My motorhome has a 1200W inverter, and 400Ah of battery (which is 4 golf cart batteries) and it’ll only run an electric heater for 3-4 hours.

Kevin
Wow, that puts it in perspective. Along with what smlobx said, I see that it's not really a viable solution.

I don’t know of anyone who uses an electric heater for sleeping. Resistance heaters just draw too much amperage.
A lot of guys who want to use a heater use a “Little Buddy” propane fired heater in their RTT or similar set up. Check them out.

As for the Tundra goes it’s an apples to oranges comparison. The tundra is larger but the Gladiator will take you places you can’t get to in a tundra....
I've seen the Little Buddy heaters, and I'm sure they work well. Of course, it worries me about carbon monoxide build up and the inefficiency of having to open windows, cost of propane, etc. A dog can't really say "Uh, I don't feel so good." But, if that's what I have to do, alrighty then.

I think some of the overland Youtubers do, but they use a big external battery like Jackery, not the truck power.

https://www.jackery.com/products/ex...uE9Tll1p2At5vYkLSwZz9-gXusaG32lIaAlo_EALw_wcB
Unfortunately those Jackery batteries and others like it won’t last very long. Probably not the whole night depending on the temps. Then how are you going to charge it back up?? Jackery’s are good for charging your cell phone and possible a portable fridge but not a heater.
The Jackery looks interesting, but I agree with smlobx. Unless you hook up their $300 solar panel, I see it running out quickly and it is still limited to 500W. Plus, I'm concerned about cold weather heating and snow, and that weather usually doesn't come with a lot of sunshine...

Looks like a propane heater will be the way to go. Dogs are more hardy so the bed won't have to be 70 or something anyways, and with insulation and a heated blanket or two it should work just fine.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
A lot of people who use the little buddy warm up their tent when they go to bed then shut it off during the night. Whomever wakes up first then cranks it up so that you can get out of your sleeping bag without freezing your cajones off !

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, the guys I've seen going this method are primarily using heated blankets, not full on heaters. The jackery site says a heated blanket could go like 22 hours. And I've always seen them putting out the solar chargers. As I understand it, they have it plugged in the back seat charger when moving from site to site to help out as well.

Additionally, when thinking about a heater, remember that you probably don't want or need it to run all night non-stop anyway. I live in an old drafty house in the mountains, and we usually cut off the heat when we go to bed (technically I set it to 50, but it usually doesn't run until early morning). I wouldn't want to be in a tent with a heater blasting all night except in bitter cold (single digits or lower). And yes, If that's the case, go with propane.

Having said all this, I'm not all that interested in these, just considering them an option for OP.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP

mortalsphere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator wannabe
A lot of people who use the little buddy warm up their tent when they go to bed then shut it off during the night. Whomever wakes up first then cranks it up so that you can get out of your sleeping bag without freezing your cajones off !
Ha! I'm familiar with that one, just not with a Little Buddy.

Yeah, the guys I've seen going this method are primarily using heated blankets, not full on heaters. The jackery site says a heated blanket could go like 22 hours. And I've always seen them putting out the solar chargers. As I understand it, they have it plugged in the back seat charger when moving from site to site to help out as well.

Additionally, when thinking about a heater, remember that you probably don't want or need it to run all night non-stop anyway. I live in an old drafty house in the mountains, and we usually cut off the heat when we go to bed (technically I set it to 50, but it usually doesn't run until early morning). I wouldn't want to be in a tent with a heater blasting all night except in bitter cold (single digits or lower). And yes, If that's the case, go with propane.

Having said all this, I'm not all that interested in these, just considering them an option for OP.
Yeah, very true. I'm likely to encounter single digits or lower a lot, but I'm not planning on camping in or out of the bed during that weather. Just transporting the dog around to hike or for day trips, etc. And when it's warmer, it's a moot point like you said. Now, heated blankets for 22 hours? That's not bad. Question is, how will the Jackery perform when it's been sitting in the bed and is also freezing?

Jackery does make a 1500W version now. To no surprise, it will cost ya $1500 though lol.

https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-1500-portable-power-station
Haha, a dollar a watt!

Thanks for everyone's replies. I definitely will go with a dual battery setup of some kind, whether it's a Jackery (unlikely) or something like a Genesis system. Would appreciate any recommendations!

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Yeah anyone trying to run an electric heater from a battery is going to be disappointed. I recently talked my dad out of something similar in his greenhouse.

As for what 400 watts will get you in an inverter...

It could charge most devices, run most lights, fill up an air mattress, power a most household electronics (TVs, laptops, etc). I wouldn’t use it without running the engine, though.
Sponsored