Sponsored

How does the oil life meter work, when to do first oil change?

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I've read some conflicting things about when to change the oil in this engine. Some have said 5,000 miles, some have said 10,000 miles. My last car was a modified turbo car, so I had to change that one out every 3500 miles or so. What is your opinion on when I should change the oil on this truck?

I was also wondering how the oil life indicator determines the percentage of the oil life. Is it actually measuring something, or is it just estimating based on driving? I was kind of surprised when I looked at it today and it said the oil life is at 11%, there is only 4,000 miles on the truck, so if it is supposed to be able to go 10k between changes as some people have said, it wouldn't really make sense.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
From what I understand, the brain box analyzes your driving habits, temperatures, RPM, what brand of underwear you use, and it calculates oil degradation.

First oil change, I always do it early, 2000 - 3000 miles. I look for metal in the oil, I cut apart the oil filter (not needed on the Gladiator) and look through the pleats for metal.

Then I go to full synthetic oil, personal choice, seems to make a vehicle run cooler.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I've read some conflicting things about when to change the oil in this engine. Some have said 5,000 miles, some have said 10,000 miles. My last car was a modified turbo car, so I had to change that one out every 3500 miles or so. What is your opinion on when I should change the oil on this truck?

I was also wondering how the oil life indicator determines the percentage of the oil life. Is it actually measuring something, or is it just estimating based on driving? I was kind of surprised when I looked at it today and it said the oil life is at 11%, there is only 4,000 miles on the truck, so if it is supposed to be able to go 10k between changes as some people have said, it wouldn't really make sense.
The Jeep wave program gives you 4 free oil changes that have to be used prior to 2 years from your date of delivery. I wouldn't go past 6 months on an oil change regardless of your mileage or you'll lose your 4th freebie. The dealership should be putting synthetic in it.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
OLM is generally pretty good but it is not always perfect. Owners manual says to never exceed 10K miles between changes regardless. Severe service (dusty, high idle time) is 4K miles. My OLM for the most part ticks off to roughly go to a 10K mile interval. I have watched it lag though for a long time and them jump quite a few percentage to almost catch up.

Like others mentioned, you get 4 free oil changes and tire rotations (2 per year, 2 years) from the automatically enrolled "Jeep Wave" program. You can use them at any mileage you want. Everybody has their own method but nothing wrong following the owners manual 10K mile OCI if not severe service.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
The Jeep wave program gives you 4 free oil changes that have to be used prior to 2 years from your date of delivery. I wouldn't go past 6 months on an oil change regardless of your mileage or you'll lose your 4th freebie. The dealership should be putting synthetic in it.
^^^
THIS!
Seeing that you have 4 free oil changes to use in 24 months it only makes sense to get your oil changed at the 6 month interval provided the Jeep doesn’t say to do it earlier.

After that the oil minder will tell you when to do it. On “average” it will be about 7500 miles but that could be highly variable.

BTW, the 0W-20 oil that is called for IS synthetic.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
From what I understand, the brain box analyzes your driving habits, temperatures, RPM, what brand of underwear you use, and it calculates oil degradation
HA! brain box, thanks for the chuckle :LOL:

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
can't answer for the jeep specifically but kevman is correct that the computer is using some algorithms and can be based on several things. Only the software engineers could explain what all.
Most of the engines I have dealt with calculate off pounds of fuel burnt. Makes sense, higher loading..more fuel. I am sure that somehow they are figuring engine temp into the equation.

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver

I’m going do do first change @ 1000 because several youtube videos have shown an alarming amount of metal imbedded in the oil filter. Also, don’t know if I like any oil beginning with “0”. Might get a zinc additive...

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
At the minimum, I'd replace the filter at 1k because it's right on top and that will get some of the stuff out of the engine. Personally, I'll be doing a full service as soon as the supplies get here (around 1k right now) because mine sat on the lot for 6 months before I bought it. Synthetic or not, I generally change mine at 5k/6mo regardless of what the life indicator says unless much of the mileage is accrued in a short period - then I'll go for the standard mileage interval.

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
I think it is more opinion than anything else as to when to do your first oil change. I just did mine this weekend at 1500 miles. Even running full synthetic on all my vehicles I still do all my oil changes every 3-4K miles. Some say it is over kill and a waste of money but I have a 3.8L in my JKU with 200K on it and here is what the heads looked like when I did new valve covers and gaskets about 3 months ago. These are just the drivers side but the passenger side was just as clean.

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

Sponsored

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
HA! brain box, thanks for the chuckle :LOL:
Damn, gotta change my underwear more often. Otherwise the G brainbox might tell me to do the oil change in 2 years. Hahaha.
Anyway, sure I'd like get the freebies! My driving habits(short drives to work and towing 1-2 times/month at least) call for frequent oil change. I'm at 3k miles and the minder says 52%. Hopefully I can get a dealer appt for the free oc and tire rotations. My last warranty work appt was around 5 weeks wait.

20210507_151526.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette

I think engine revolutions has more to do with it than anything else. Starts/stops might, too.

Mine winds up not varying too much, whether I've mostly done my commute or if on a long highway trip. I'd say it would be around 7500 to 8500 at the extremes when it hits zero.

Capricorn

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave 2021 - Sarge Green
Occupation
Network Architect

Oil change is not to exceed 10K miles. Ideally to do the first oil change around 4-5K miles.
From the owner's manual:

Jeep Gladiator How does the oil life meter work, when to do first oil change? 1620620878062

Capricorn

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave 2021 - Sarge Green
Occupation
Network Architect
They changed it to 3 free Jeep Wave oil changes now since a few months.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, gotta change my underwear more often. Otherwise the G brainbox might tell me to do the oil change in 2 years. Hahaha.
Anyway, sure I'd like get the freebies! My driving habits(short drives to work and towing 1-2 times/month at least) call for frequent oil change. I'm at 3k miles and the minder says 52%. Hopefully I can get a dealer appt for the free oc and tire rotations. My last warranty work appt was around 5 weeks wait.

Jeep Gladiator How does the oil life meter work, when to do first oil change? 1620620878062
Dang that was milage of my first month and half of ownership, 4 oil changes down in 14 months of having mine. 😲 I've got about the rest of this month to decide on getting the extended warranty before I hit the base milage warranty.😣
Now back to the subject, the vehicle computer probably tracks miles, duty cycle, driving habits temperature and start stop cycling. From the oil testing on mine it tracks with the oil life monitor built-in. I'll probably be pulling a sample to get tested on mine again it cost about $30 but it's interesting to monitor and see if anything changes, I've been getting it tested at about half way point of oil life by "OLM"
I typically drive to push for best MPG AKA" driving Ms. Dasiy" but if you drive over hundred miles to commute to and from work you might do that too.
Sponsored