Sponsored

How hard have you pushed your stock Gladiator?

DCPHOENIX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Dad
We plan on taking the Gladiator all over the western US in the next 12 months.

Big Bend, several Utah national parks, lots of Arizona parks and forests, California deserts, Nevada deserts. You get the idea.

The wife is of the opinion that we just dropped a load of money on buying it, so no more spending. Which I get. 35s will be bought come time to replace the stock wildpeaks.

Curious to see how many of you have run a stock suspension/wheel set up on big trips and how it’s held up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DCPHOENIX

DCPHOENIX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Dad
You won't get better drivability than stock, but the lower ground clearance might let you down.
That’s my concern. We’re not going to be rock crawling, mainly dirt roads with rougher sections and I suppose occasional steep ups and downs. The extra 1” or so lift that tires would get me would be nice

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
That’s my concern. We’re not going to be rock crawling, mainly dirt roads with rougher sections and I suppose occasional steep ups and downs. The extra 1” or so lift that tires would get me would be nice
I've only ran into issues on seriously rocky trails where the lca mounts & rear diff drags if you pick the wrong line. Other than that, it's been very impressive pulling a m416 trailer off road.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Been wheeling my stock JTR some lately. It flexes a great deal, but the long wheelbase is a bear in certain situations (other times it helps). I have LCA skids, and a hitch skid (a must, IMO). I've come to differentiate between 'Overlanding' and 'Wheeling'. :)

I've slid in some mud (KY) making it difficult to hold a line, but traction has never been an issue (stock mud terrains). I have yet to air down, except for a trip to the beach.

I'm anxious to add a Mopar lift and 35s . . . I hate scraping! If you're taking 'Overland' type trails you should be fine, I would think.

Sponsored

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
Why not an inexpensive (bust still quality) spacer lift? If you've got some tools (or a buddy) easy enough to do in an afternoon and gets you some extra height. If you're just doing lighter trails that'd be some good piece of mind. Obviously won't help the diffs, etc. Could get some nice diff covers too for relatively heap insurance.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The bottom of mine scrapes a good bit. And I've scraped up the skid plates (no problem) and banged up the LCA brackets (problem) and the diff covers. Based on this, at minimum, I'd add LCA skids and diff skids.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bottom of mine scrapes a good bit. And I've banged up the skid plates (no problem) and the LCAs (problem) and the diff skid plate. Based on this, at minimum, I'd add LCA skids and diff skids.
Can you share what you've done for diff skids? I need to address this. Seems like a general choice between a skid or a stronger cover?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you share what you've done for diff skids? I need to address this. Seems like a general choice between a skid or a stronger cover?
I actually haven't gotten one yet. I just found the need after my most recent outing. I'm doing diff skid plates, rather than a cover, personally. They are next on my list.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DCPHOENIX

DCPHOENIX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Dad
Man, I never even thought about armoring the underside! Totally makes sense though.

Here in southern AZ dirt roads are rocky. Mud isn’t something you deal with haha. Got some front mudflaps on the way to keep the rock from destroying the doors and rear fender flares

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually haven't gotten one yet. I just found the need after my most recent outing. I'm doing diff skid plates, rather than a cover, personally. They are next on my list.
My preference as well. I've misplaced my notes on which one I was leaning toward. Started reading about covers and got the 'paralysis through analysis' thing . . .

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My preference as well. I've misplaced my notes on which one I was leaning toward. Started reading about covers and got the 'paralysis through analysis' thing . . .
Same thing happens to me haha. I spent months analyzing tires.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing happens to me haha. I spent months analyzing tires.
Well, I want a 35 mud terrain in a 11.5; there seems to be one choice, so I have no excuse there!
I appreciate your input on that, btw . . .

Apologies to the OP! Carry on . . . :)

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, I never even thought about armoring the underside! Totally makes sense though.

Here in southern AZ dirt roads are rocky. Mud isn’t something you deal with haha. Got some front mudflaps on the way to keep the rock from destroying the doors and rear fender flares
Which mudflaps did you order? I have the Weathertech's (front and rear) and really like them.
Sponsored