Sponsored

How hard is it to install Rubi springs/shocks?

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I got a quote from my mechanic to install a lift for $600. And by install a lift, I mean upgrade my Sport S with Rubicon springs and shocks. I’m adding levelers in the front and back which come with instructions.

I haven’t shopped around but I suspect that’s fair. But I’m trying to save money. Is this something I could do myself?

I have no prior experience or specialty tools, but I do have a pretty complete wrench set. And I’m not a total idiot.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read through general instructions online and it doesn’t seem particularly complicated. I’d just need some jack stands and a torque wrench. That’s $100 and I get to keep the tools. Is there level of skill involved that I’m missing or is it mostly a matter of tools and time?

MainePure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Water Boss
I did the Rubicon spring and shock swap in 3hrs with a floor jack and a jack stand. It's very easy. My dealership quoted 6.5hrs @$740. Sure glad I did it myself.

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did the Rubicon spring and shock swap in 3hrs with a floor jack and a jack stand. It's very easy. My dealership quoted 6.5hrs @$740. Sure glad I did it myself.
What’s your prior experience level?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Did mine in the driveway, took about a hour and a half with two floor jacks. It's pretty easy to do, was my first time attempting to install springs. Since then I've helped my brother in law do his jeep and another guy do his.

The only experience I had prior was watching my buddy install my lift on my JKU back a few years ago. If I knew it was as easy as it was I would of installed my 2.5" ReadyLift spacer lift as well. A shop did that and only charged me $801 and that included them buying the lift kit and alignment, I figured it's was worth letting them tackle it for that price.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I have a max tow... I’m a pretty handy guy but no mechanic by any means. I initially just put on the shocks, then came back 6 months later and added a two inch spacer lift with front rubicon springs. The shocks took me a little over an hour and the springs and spacers took close to 3. I did it all with jacks and jack stands. All things together it would have been left because I jacked each axel up twice and took the wheels off twice as well.

If you don’t have a bunch of professional tools that’s ok, I would invest in an impact driver (I used a dewalt 20) with wench socket adapter. Huge savings in time... putti no things on and off. Would have been another (frustrating) 2 hours without it !

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since I’ll be addding the Teraflex leveler, I went ahead and read their instructions and watched some videos. Since it involves removing the springs anyway, I figure since it covers my whole installation process. This seems very doable.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Very easy. I've had my springs out twice so far. Two jack stands and two floor jacks works great. An extra set of hands is a very big help also.
Installing the Teraflex bump stops was the hardest part tightening the nut and bolt at the lower spring perch. But, the little special wrench they give you comes in very handy. I used it on my next set of bumpstops.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Very easy. I've had my springs out twice so far. Two jack stands and two floor jacks works great. An extra set of hands is a very big help also.
Installing the Teraflex bump stops was the hardest part tightening the nut and bolt at the lower spring perch. But, the little special wrench they give you comes in very handy. I used it on my next set of bumpstops.
X2 on the extra set of hands, makes a world of difference

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I just did spacers front and rear and changed to Rubicon shocks. It took me 3 hours, I have put lifts on several Jeeps and a Tundra before. One thing I did this time I have not done before which I found worked well was doing one corner at a time leaving the other 3 wheels on the ground with one jack stand under the frame nearest the corner I am working on and using the jack to control the axle. Saw this method on YouTube, it worked well I would it the same way next time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did spacers front and rear and changed to Rubicon shocks. It took me 3 hours, I have put lifts on several Jeeps and a Tundra before. One thing I did this time I have not done before which I found worked well was doing one corner at a time leaving the other 3 wheels on the ground with one jack stand under the frame nearest the corner I am working on and using the jack to control the axle. Saw this method on YouTube, it worked well I would it the same way next time.
I saw a demo like this online. Was thinking of doing the same.

Bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Outback
I did mine with no experience and my son in law as my helper. We installed the Rubi suspension, leveler and JKS quick disconnects in about 4 hours. We had no previous experience. Watch JK Gear and Gadgets on YouTube as Ben has a good video on leveling his JT while changing the shocks. I always refer to it when I am doing something similar. I will be doing it again with my wife's Sport shortly.

Reactions: Mac

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's how Daystar suggests installing their spacer. Makes sense. I did an axle at a time but I did have to move a jack back and forth. Next time will use their method.

Biggest thing is watch those brake lines - and ABS sensor wires, etc.
Other than that, other than yourself, you can't hurt a whole lot.

As always, when changing height or replacing parts with bushings, tighten/torque with the truck resting on the ground. DO NOT tighten things with wheels hanging in the air.
Tighten when all 4 are down and the truck lowered.

STL Gladiator

First Name
Horace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow - traded, 2021 JT Rubicon
I read through general instructions online and it doesn’t seem particularly complicated. I’d just need some jack stands and a torque wrench. That’s $100 and I get to keep the tools. Is there level of skill involved that I’m missing or is it mostly a matter of tools and time?
Go on you tube watch a couple vids...then do it yourself. Just make sure any wires or fluid/brake lines don't over extend. Disconnect or unbolt where possible even if you think you don't need to. You will need a tq-wrench for sure...and some help tightening bolts to 190-200 ft lbs. Also need a little help with track bar install and then center the steering wheel at the end. Take your time its worth the coin saved to put toward better hardware and a comparable wheel alignment.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you have any mechanical ability and common sense, this is an easy afternoon job.

If you lack either, spend the money, it's cheaper than ER visit and still having to take it to a garage.

Really, if you have WiFi, a laptop or tablet, set it up on a table in garage and have the install videos already called up before you ever lift a tool.
Sponsored