Sponsored

How long do you guys think android auto will be compatible?

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I opted for the 7 inch to upgrade to the 8.4 later. That was before I knew you cannot update the connect software after upgrading. This has me wondering how long android auto would remain compatible before I’d lose it if I upgraded. Any tech buffs Out there?
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
They're redoing Android auto right now, getting rid of the phone version of the app and investing a lot more in it in general. That said if you really want to make it work you could probably do one of the side load apks that get you to a specific version and have it stay compatible.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
im sorta just hoping to find take out radios from 2021/2022/2023 crashed JTs when that time comes

OP
OP
glassjawkid32

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
They're redoing Android auto right now, getting rid of the phone version of the app and investing a lot more in it in general. That said if you really want to make it work you could probably do one of the side load apks that get you to a specific version and have it stay compatible.
Hmmm just looked into that. It sounds like my use of it will be mostly unaffected. but I still wonder how many versions of android it will take before it makes The connect obsolete in that regard.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
No phone version? So only option is built into the head unit directly?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
No phone version? So only option is built into the head unit directly?
The current android auto allows you to use it solely on your phone as in no head unit, they're getting rid of that which to me would indicate a major update is most likely being pushed with it. I also know they've been fixing bugs and pushing out a. lot more patches recently but that could be in prep for android 12's GA.

As for how long til it wont work with connect, i'd be shocked if it doesnt last at least 3-5 years given that head unit's not made by tesla dont get a ton of updates and android auto probably still has to support units that are no longer receiving updates like old ford syncs