How long will you wait!

lipsterc8

First Name
Michael Lipschu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda crv
In the summer of 2018 i traded in my 2015 fully loaded rubicon unlimited for a new honda pilot for the wife. We had our second kid and her CRV was just getting a little to small for everday use. I'm a practical guy I knew my Jeep was worth more, knew the Gladiator was a year away, so why not suck it up for a year or two and drive a paid off CRV.

But the itch of getting a gladiator is getting to strong. I want to pull the trigger but i find myself thinking i have waited this long i should wait for the diesel. Lets be honest the diesel is going to be the best buy. Sure it will be more expensive but it will hold its value so much stronger than the gas, at least that is my theory. I see the cult following for the Ram diesels, they still bring over 20k with good knows how many miles on them. It makes sense to me, a diesel should last longer and provide more fun over the life of the vehicle.

I saw some posts about the Moab Wrangler diesel spotted but havent heard one grumbling about the gladiator. does anyone have a feeling we will be buying 2020 gladiators with the diesel or will we be waiting for the 2021 model?
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I will wait ~60,000 miles max. That sounds like a lot but we roll up the miles pretty quick.

I think the Ram will get the Ecodiesel V2.0 first, probably first of next year at the latest, Wrangler & JT a couple months later.

skycripp

First Name
Sky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator(soon)
The issue with the diesel is that it will likely be a $2500-$4500 option, and will require a marriage to the 8 speed transmission (another $2k option). After you add in those costs, I don't think it's the best buy at all. It would take years to pay off the difference in fuel economy and difference in maintenance costs. I was planning on waiting for the diesel, but did the math and decided it wasn't worth it.

OP
OP

lipsterc8

First Name
Michael Lipschu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda crv
i have done the math, i don't think financially its worth it at all. having said that im still leaning towards waiting.

positives
will be easier to get 1% to 3% below invoice pricing by waiting till diesel arrives
might be a 2021 model
resell value should hold up a ton better
should feel a little more pep
and most of all its a diesel

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... having said that im still leaning towards waiting.

positives:
will be easier to get 1% to 3% below invoice pricing by waiting till diesel arrives
might be a 2021 model
resell value should hold up a ton better
should feel a little more pep (+~40% MORE TORQUE :devil:)
and most of all its a diesel
Agree many benefits from waiting for sure -
More (arguably better) colors
Initial hype overpricing fades
Further refinement of JT's (working out bugs like the 'loose steering')
More aftermarket goodies will be out
Possibly more/better packages available (interior details, options, graphics etc - 'Throwback Edition' Please)
Save up more $$$ towards purchase
See more JT's with upgrades to decide what you like & don't like

Sponsored

OP
OP

lipsterc8

First Name
Michael Lipschu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda crv
Agree many benefits from waiting for sure -
More (arguably better) colors
Initial hype overpricing fades
Further refinement of JT's (working out bugs like the 'loose steering')
More aftermarket goodies will be out
Possibly more/better packages available (interior details, options, graphics etc - 'Throwback Edition' Please)
Save up more $$$ towards purchase
See more JT's with upgrades to decide what you like & don't like
The only problem is im driving a CRV instead of a wrangler while i wait...............

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I'll probably wait for the 2021s to come out and then pick up a late build 2020 at a discount. I'm very interested in how the Gladiator will handle in the snow. My Ridgeline handles great in the snow, so long as it's less than 6" deep. My wife and I travel to Colorado several times a year to visit family and I'd love a vehicle that can handle the deep snow and the off-road trails there.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
I'll wait till an extended cab ecodiesel becomes available. So possibly forever.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
The issue with the diesel is that it will likely be a $2500-$4500 option, and will require a marriage to the 8 speed transmission (another $2k option). After you add in those costs, I don't think it's the best buy at all. It would take years to pay off the difference in fuel economy and difference in maintenance costs. I was planning on waiting for the diesel, but did the math and decided it wasn't worth it.
No I don't see that at all. The diesel upgrade in my F 350 is a bit over $9k for 935 lbs of torque 6.7 L V8. Betting the D option on the JT is more like $2k total.

Sponsored

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
While I'm still on the fence as to which engine I'm getting, I'm going to wait until the diesel comes out so I can do a fair comparison before deciding. Since it's now showing up in the JL, I'm hoping for early 2020 for the JT.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Betting the D option on the JT is more like $2k total.
I’ll take that bet - the 3.0L won’t be a dime less than $3,500 up-charge.
Hopefully won’t have to wait long to see.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I’ll take that bet - the 3.0L won’t be a dime less than $3,500 up-charge.
Hopefully won’t have to wait long to see.
OK, you are on...I live in S Tx, you get this way win or lose first beer or coffee is on me!
Sponsored