Sponsored

How many law breakers are there in New Jersey? Or, are you curious if your non-NJ JT is illegal someone other than where you live?

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Just ran across this:
Subchapter 37 - STANDARDS FOR MOTOR VEHICLES WITH ELEVATED CHASSIS HEIGHT | State Regulations | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

TLDR:
1. NJ has a special inspection for lifted vehicles. This includes ANY body lift, or tire size gains over 4 inches from the maximum factory available tire size (never seen this sticker ever, and I've seen tons of lifted trucks) Therefore all you guys running 36.5 k02s on unlifted mojaves don't need special inspections. Anything bigger than 36.7 or even the tiniest .75inch leveling kit needs a special sticker.

2. While NJ has no restrictions for stubby bumpers on un-lifted vehicle, lifted vehicles cannot have stubby bumpers

3. 40s are illegal in NJ on gladiators (but legal on wranglers manufactured recently, due to the xtreme recon package). True 39s are also illegal, but 38.5 39s are fine

4. Poke is okay on un-lifted. Illegal on lifted trucks. Unless you have good mudflaps (i'm pretty sure pro-poke people are anti-mudflap people 99% of the time)

5. Might have to skid plate your fuel tank, and potentially your exhaust.

6. Caster must remain (but not required to be at factory levels)

7. No wheel spacers on lifted vehicles

8. Gladiator maximum lift is 9 inches. A 285/70r17 to a 39.5 with a 4.5 inch lift is 7.895 inches, so pretty much everyone is safe here.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Believe me, I have bigger things to worry about than being legal in NJ. :rock:
As does every single lifted truck I've ever seen in NJ. I'm guessing 99% of them don't even know they should have a lifted vehicle inspection

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
On the plus side, you're allowed 9 inches of total lift once you get that special inspection. So 40s and a 5.5 inch lift are ok. Doesn't sound like it's hard to get approval, you're just supposed to get inspected.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Interesting. In Pa. bumper height goes by GVW.

Car or an SUV, the maximum bumper height is 22 inches for the front and rear.

If your truck is less than 5001 lbs. then it's 24 inches in the front and 26 inches in the rear. From 5001 to 7000 the height is limited to 27 inches in the front and 29 in the rear. If the weight is 7001 to 9000 then the height is limited to 28 inches in the front and 30 inches in the rear.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. In Pa. bumper height goes by GVW.

Car or an SUV, the maximum bumper height is 22 inches for the front and rear.

If your truck is less than 5001 lbs. then it's 24 inches in the front and 26 inches in the rear. From 5001 to 7000 the height is limited to 27 inches in the front and 29 in the rear. If the weight is 7001 to 9000 then the height is limited to 28 inches in the front and 30 inches in the rear.
The rear would definitely be our limiting factor. My rear bumper is at 23.5", no lift, on 35s. If it's based on GVWR, gladiators should all be allowed 27" front, 29" rear. My GVWR is 6250. I have to measure my wife's JKU when she gets home. But I think it might be very close to illegal straight from the factory, no mods at all.

WoolyKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
Most states that have safety inspection will have a height law on the books. In most cases unless you have something unsafe no one will check/enforce it. If you live in a rural area register as farm vehicle than no rules whatsoever.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
The rear would definitely be our limiting factor. My rear bumper is at 23.5", no lift, on 35s. I have to measure my wife's JKU when she gets home. But I think it might be very close to illegal straight from the factory, no mods at all.
My stock JTRD GVWR is 6450lbs. Bottom of front bumper is 19", rear is 20.5". I can go to 27" in the front and 29" in the rear. I can lift it 8".

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
My stock JTRD GVWR is 6450lbs. Bottom of front bumper is 19", rear is 20.5". I can go to 27" in the front and 29" in the rear. I can lift it 8".
And if you want more than that, just hit up a custom fabrication shop and get a tallboy bumper

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same limit for my gasser. I'll never come close though. My real limit is my garage door and my wife's ability to climb in. But I bet a lot of Wranglers are illegal. 22" seems low. I know they have less rake, but still.

Ps: why is your rear bumper so much lower than mine? I know you're diesel, but still? Did you measure from the hitch? I measured from the bottom below the license plate, which seems like the lowest point. But the bumper skid plates are close to the same height. Does the hitch count?

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
What nannystate nonsense is this?

My whole Jeep is illegal in NJ. Good

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
I had one years ago when one inspection station insisted my YJ with a 1 1/2" lift and 32s needed it. The lifted inspection can only be done by appointment at two special inspection stations. The additional sticker on the windshield states the tire size on it, and any changes to tire size requires reinspection.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Same limit for my gasser. I'll never come close though. My real limit is my garage door and my wife's ability to climb in. But I bet a lot of Wranglers are illegal. 22" seems low. I know they have less rake, but still.

Ps: why is your rear bumper so much lower than mine? I know you're diesel, but still? Did you measure from the hitch? I measured from the bottom below the license plate, which seems like the lowest point. But the bumper skid plates are close to the same height. Does the hitch count?
I measured the bottom of the bumper next to the hitch. My Power Wagon was low when compared to other PW's too.

My limit is the wife too. LOL She is also my speed limiter.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
You'd be surprised how many states have laws like this. I mean even Utah and Arizona have laws that require bumpers and fenders (or mudflaps) to cover the entire track width.

I mean it's no different than tint laws. If you mind your own business you're typically fine but this is NJ we're talking about. Also Pennsylvania. Fuck Pennsylvania.
Sponsored