First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
realtor
I've been going through post and Google searches trying to see what components had the most impact on towing capacity. I'm debating on gearing and lockers for an Ouverlander build on my sport s.

I know any mods wont change what the sticker on the truck says for towing capacity. But after looking at a couple of articles, the seem to point to gear ratio as being big part of the differences.

"With curb weight as a constant, other factors play into a vehicle's GVWR and GCWR. Obviously, transmission choice is a big one as the manual transmission doesn't have the gearing needed to achieve the high GCWR of automatic-equipped vehicles. This can have to do with parts strength, as well. Cooling also plays a part, as vehicles with automatic transmission coolers are rated higher. Suspension and tires are also a factor. Big tires with squishy sidewalls and soft flexy suspension systems aren't going to fare as well during SAE J2807 testing, and thus receive a lower rating. And finally, typically trucks with lower (higher numerically) gear ratios are benefited with a higher tow rating, in this case 3.73:1 gears versus 4.10:1."

so if I go with 4.88 gears on my 35's how more towing capacity would I gain without the different axles? Is the gear ratio the biggest factor in the ratings?
Sponsored