Sponsored

How much is too much....

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
Hello all!

For lighting I was thinking of the the following lighting (lights will be listed as if you were standing in front of the Gladiator looking toward the driver) not that it really matters anyway... ALL lights are Baja designs

winch guard
LP6 Amber Driving / LP9 Pro / LP9 Pro / LP6 Amber Driving

right mopar A pillar mount
Squadron Pro Amber Driving Combo / LP6 Driving Combo

left mopar A pillar mount
LP6 Driving Combo / Squadron Pro Amber Driving Combo

oem fogs will be replaced with Squadron Pro Amber Driving Combo’s

thoughts, ideas, questions, comments, concerns?

It will be used as an off road camping vehicle and also used for SAR (Search & Rescue)
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Imo too much redundancy of the same light pattern leading to oversaturation Of a single field.

if its gotta be baja designs,

fog replacement in flood
2-4 lp9 pro on the front all in spot
lp6 driving on your a pillars.

apply a light to each purpose....flood/fill; side spill; intermediate; long. The fog replacement floods are plenty bright enough to flood and fill. The lp6 bridges the gap between flood and fill and long spot of the lp9. With lighting dont get wrapped up in lumens. Look for candella and usable distance.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I would not put any lighting above the hood unless it is a very narrow spot. Some folks don't mind light ("glare" is subjective) on the hood. I prefer absolutely no light on the hood...unless from the moon. The only light I've considered for A-pillar mounting is the BD Spot Laser with a 1.5-degree beam. I have the LP6 driving combo coupled with the XL Racer Edition spots on my OEM steel bumper. I just ordered their 10" S8 Work/Scene light to mount facing toward the rear on the chase rack.

OP
OP

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Imo too much redundancy of the same light pattern leading to oversaturation Of a single field.

fog replacement in flood

apply a light to each purpose....flood/fill; side spill; intermediate; long. The fog replacement floods are plenty bright enough to flood and fill. The lp6 bridges the gap between flood and fill and long spot of the lp9. With lighting dont get wrapped up in lumens. Look for candella and usable distance.
Good to know! I will check out YouTube and see what I am looking for. Basically I want to light up the World in front of me. So far I have a perfect score finding everything the SAR reps have hidden. They are SURE I am going to miss something with the Gladiator. There is a $150 bottle of scotch riding on this! lol!

OP
OP

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would not put any lighting above the hood unless it is a very narrow spot. Some folks don't mind light ("glare" is subjective) on the hood. I prefer absolutely no light on the hood...unless from the moon. The only light I've considered for A-pillar mounting is the BD Spot Laser with a 1.5-degree beam. I have the LP6 driving combo coupled with the XL Racer Edition spots on my OEM steel bumper. I just ordered their 10" S8 Work/Scene light to mount facing toward the rear on the chase rack.
Dually Noted. However, I will be able to shut them off. It will be used as a SAR vehicle, so we will also be using it for scene work and a very slim chance, but could be used to mart a helo landing site. But, I will not drive with them on above the hood!

Sponsored

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I've been with one of the busiest SAR groups in the U.S. for over 28 years. I often use the lights driving backcountry roads but have only used vehicle lights for scene lighting once. I ordered the BD work/scene LED bar for when I need to use the bed of the Gladiator as a command post. Helicopter pilots most often have some type of night vision and even regular vehicle headlights are far too bright for LZ use. Your SAR group should have LZ kits consisting of small LED markers.

OP
OP

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've been with one of the busiest SAR groups in the U.S. for over 28 years. I often use the lights driving backcountry roads but have only used vehicle lights for scene lighting once. I ordered the BD work/scene LED bar for when I need to use the bed of the Gladiator as a command post. Helicopter pilots most often have some type of night vision and even regular vehicle headlights are far too bright for LZ use. Your SAR group should have LZ kits consisting of small LED markers.
That we do, we have small amber, white and red alternating led's that we set for the LZ, however, the scene lighting is used for obstruction and blade clearance photo's that are sent to the pilots before approach. Bright lights are shut off when help is approx 5nm out.

OP
OP

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

fog replacement in flood

I think i am going to do exactly what you recommend!

OP
OP

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
cool man. I think it will serve your needs well.
Question for you, Kurt... I will be getting the Fab Four Overland bed rack. 2 Lights for the left, 2 lights for the right and 2 lights for the rear. What lights would you recommend? I prefer Baja Designs, but it's not a must. I want try to light up a 200ft swath around the back of the truck...

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Question for you, Kurt... I will be getting the Fab Four Overland bed rack. 2 Lights for the left, 2 lights for the right and 2 lights for the rear. What lights would you recommend? I prefer Baja Designs, but it's not a must. I want try to light up a 200ft swath around the back of the truck...
I'll try to help...couple q's

-what have you bought from the top list so far?
-why is Baja Designs the preference?
-what are you looking to accomplish with the rack mounted lights?
-does having all your lights from one brand matter to you?

Id say generally, just go with a flood pattern. Usually around the sides of the vehicle is just obstacle clearance and work space, so a wide beam pattern best suits the purpose. Consider if "scene lighting" might be the way to go. I'd personally also go with amber all around over white, since it makes the work space a bit more friendly and adds the contrast without as much shadowing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'll try to help...couple q's

-what have you bought from the top list so far?
-why is Baja Designs the preference?
-what are you looking to accomplish with the rack mounted lights?
-does having all your lights from one brand matter to you?

Id say generally, just go with a flood pattern. Usually around the sides of the vehicle is just obstacle clearance and work space, so a wide beam pattern best suits the purpose. Consider if "scene lighting" might be the way to go. I'd personally also go with amber all around over white, since it makes the work space a bit more friendly and adds the contrast without as much shadowing.
- What have I bought...Nothing yet.
- I have heard that Baja Designs is an incredible product, lifetime warranty and they a blindingly bright
- I want to be able to make it look like daylight from the mirrors forward. I will be able to control each light group separately using a switch bros 12. I also live in the eastern maritimes, lots of fog and lots of snow..so I will also need ambers.
- no it doesn't have to be from one brand, but I do want the best, or not not the best, damn close to it!

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Dually Noted. However, I will be able to shut them off. It will be used as a SAR vehicle, so we will also be using it for scene work and a very slim chance, but could be used to mart a helo landing site. But, I will not drive with them on above the hood!
If your helo pilots are on NVGs, they won't want all of that light (I have 3500 hours in a Coast Guard helicopter) you're better off with some chem sticks (IR if you can get them). If a helicopter is SAR capable, it's going to have all the lighting it needs to finding a landing site in my experience.

OP
OP

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If your helo pilots are on NVGs, they won't want all of that light (I have 3500 hours in a Coast Guard helicopter) you're better off with some chem sticks (IR if you can get them). If a helicopter is SAR capable, it's going to have all the lighting it needs to finding a landing site in my experience.
Light are used before the approach. we take pics for rotor clearance as well as obstacle clearance. then send them to the pilots enroute. all lights are extinguished when helo is approx 5NM out.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
- What have I bought...Nothing yet.
- I have heard that Baja Designs is an incredible product, lifetime warranty and they a blindingly bright
- I want to be able to make it look like daylight from the mirrors forward. I will be able to control each light group separately using a switch bros 12. I also live in the eastern maritimes, lots of fog and lots of snow..so I will also need ambers.
- no it doesn't have to be from one brand, but I do want the best, or not not the best, damn close to it!
Then there is a couple ways to go about doing it. Nothing wrong with Baja Designs, ive just used others.

Way I see it, you could do your BD set up as described, and then just do squadron floods around the sides with amber and youd be all set.

Personally, I really like Clear Water lights. They are PHENOMINAL lights. Easily best quality I've ever personally used. I'd leave your factory fogs alone for legal road use. On the bumper mount 2 Dixi's or Super Sevina's and 2 Sevina Floods in yellow. That gives you independent control over your long spot and flood lights, and sets you up with dimmer control so you dont have a choice of 0 or full power...you can adjust as needed to cut splash back.....and at full power, you wont need anything else. From there, Id just do Heretic Studio amber quad lights around the sides and rear.

I ran the Dixi's on my R1200GSA traveling bike. They are bright as F. Mixing Dixi's with Sevina Flood pattern would be a killer total beam pattern, and I like having dimmer control.

I currently run Heretic Studio amber quad pods and a 6" light bar on my KTM Super Adventure and I am really happy with the quality and pattern.

When AEV releases their bumper and I do my lighting, I'm going to run dual Dixi's on the bumper and a Heretic amber bar in Flood down low on the bumper. Might do a set of Heretic pods for ditch lights off the apillar. Both ClearWater and Heretic Studio are made in the USA if that matters to you. I actively try to avoid lights made in china. Simply seen too many fail in bad weather. (looking at you, Rigid....)

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/pages/virtual_clearwater_lights_simulator

https://www.hereticstudio.com/collections/light-bars/products/heretic-6-series-quattro-light-amber
Sponsored