Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
No active regen yet at 7600. This system works passively quite well from what I can tell.
My zr2 did it one active regen every tank of fuel for the most part. ..

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
My OBD Fusion shows about 600 miles in between regens on average. I would have thought it would be less ofen with the loads it has been put under though.

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've found that the underhood temps of the JT allow passive regen to happen more often than it does on the DT. So I don't see the Scan Guage kick over into regen status "ON" very often at all in the JT. I'm at 4,699 miles and I don't think I've seen it "ON" at all yet.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Drive stile will determine if an active regen will be needed. I'm 95 % highway at 70+ so the passive regen always has time to complete. My zr2 didn't have a passive system at all. It would get to x% then go active. However it would not tell you so. It would just happen. Only way I knew it was to watch the current fuel consumption. It would drop 4mpg for a half hr... great for the environment.... burn fuel to reduce emissions really????

Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
My driving has been mostly short trips and in town driving where I rarely get up above 55mph, my OBD Fusion app shows less than 600 miles between regens and I have nearly 11k so that's a lot of regens!

I try to keep an eye on the soot level when I'm driving mostly in town so I don't shut her down in the middle or an AR.

I know this is going to take a toll on the DPF with so many AR's but there's not much I can do about it.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
As @Glad_he_ate_her said, it is all about driving style. Driving hard and reaching the right temp for a sustained time is the key. If you know it is in a re-gen, don't shut it off. Let it idle until complete then cool down a bit. Not sure how the ESS works during a re-gen cycle. I can tell you that ESS is bad for the DPF and not good for a hot turbo. (It's always a good idea to idle-down a hot turbo.)
There are decent 'systems cleaners' out there to help clean the DPF but again, on a long hot run. Change your air filter often, like 10-15,000 miles and keep up with your oil changes. Use good oil!

and......hot DPF + fording water = bad things
(hot like normal driving is okay, hot during a re-gen @ 1,200°F can be ugly)

Does the Jeep tell you when it is in re-gen?

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Per the manual the gladiator will notify you if in an ACTIVE REGEN the passive happens without notification like when your driving at 75 on the highway. I have not noticed an active one yet.

OP
OP
Phil3333

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
As @Glad_he_ate_her said, it is all about driving style. Driving hard and reaching the right temp for a sustained time is the key. If you know it is in a re-gen, don't shut it off. Let it idle until complete then cool down a bit. Not sure how the ESS works during a re-gen cycle. I can tell you that ESS is bad for the DPF and not good for a hot turbo. (It's always a good idea to idle-down a hot turbo.)
There are decent 'systems cleaners' out there to help clean the DPF but again, on a long hot run. Change your air filter often, like 10-15,000 miles and keep up with your oil changes. Use good oil!

and......hot DPF + fording water = bad things
(hot like normal driving is okay, hot during a re-gen @ 1,200°F can be ugly)

Ya the dashboard tells you to not stop driving until the Regen is done

Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
... If you know it is in a re-gen, don't shut it off. Let it idle until complete then cool down a bit. Not sure how the ESS works during a re-gen cycle.
Letting the engine simply idle during an active regen did not work when it happened to me ... I was making the short drive to my son's baseball practice of which I help coach and checked regen status just as I was pulling up and noticed it was in Active Regen, I told my son to grab his stuff quickly so I could go drive for 10 minutes or so. It took him a minute or so while I was parked (idling) and all of a sudden the regen turned off but it stayed at 100% soot level as per OBD Fusion app. It stayed at 100% for probably another 250 miles and 8 or 10 starts until it went into AR again.

So the moral of the story is, if you know it's in AR you need to keep driving!

I have never seen anything on the dash to indicate an Active Regen is in process, I only know because I'm running a gauge cluster on my OBD Fusion App that connects to the OBD II port via bluetooth. I can see when it's in Passive Regen (DPF regen status = 0; DPF regen type = 1) or Active Regen (DPF regen status = 1; DPF regen type = 1).

If you see something on your dash that says you need to drive at highway speed for xx minutes that means that an Active Regen has been started (possibly several times) and never completed and the DPF is literally approaching 100%, if you don't finish that specific regen the engine will go into limp mode and require the dealer to perform a forced AR.

This is why I made sure I had gauges that could accurately show when the regens were happening and I didn't shut off the engine or park idle while it was in AR.

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Not one yet at 5500 miles.
I do mostly long drives.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
Not one yet at 5500 miles.
I do mostly long drives.
If you hooked up a gauge to show what the computer has actually recorded I think you will be unpleasantly surprised to see how many times you have done an Active regen.

You haven't noticed one on the dash EVIC because you did not shut down during an Active Regen multiple times.

There's a few good threads on the Wrangler EcoDiesel forum that go over this as they've had this engine up to a year longer than any Gladiator.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/exhaust-system-regeneration-message.59142/

Barbarian

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jtur diesel 21
Occupation
Business
14,000 miles and so far only passive regens. Hardly know its there

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
14,000 miles and so far only passive regens. Hardly know its there
Have you verified this with any gauges?

I think anyone without gauges would be quite surprised how often an active regen actually happens unless you have very short drives to the highway and drive 99% highway miles.
Sponsored