www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
I should have done this the day I brought it home. This is the one thing, more than anything, that I hated about my Jeep. This little fix took minutes to do but I put it off thinking I could throw Sector Shaft Braces Track Bars, controls arms, and Steering Stabilizers at it. Do this first.

Read disclaimer below before attempting this fix.

Supplement: Jun 18 2020
Watch the video again.

Once you initially loosen the nut with a large 15mm socket. The center set screw, and the nut are a very tight tolerance. Move them apart in opposite directions using the box wrench and allen wrench 30 - 45 degree separation. Once done torque it into place. You should end up like this. If your steering is tight with the truck off. Go back and undo what you did. You must leave a degree in the steering. It will go away once the truck is on. If the steering wheel is tight with the truck off you screwed up your box. Back it off till there is 1 degree of slop.

If this is not making sense please read the disclaimer.

20200615_165549.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
I am going to beat this to the punch.
*Disclaimer, if you change this, there will be many telling you its a warranty item. They are not wrong. The box is preloaded such as are gears to a backlash. I describe this in my video. If you over tighten this it can chew the gears up. So leave a light amount of play in the steering, as I describe in my video. If you follow my video to the T. you will be fine. Also there are reasons so many all over the board are having steering issues. Its in how they set the box up before they install it. This is why one guy has tight steering and its good, while another does not. You need to know how much play to put in before you ruin the box. Jeep will not allow a tech to fix this, only the vendor to work on the box and replace the part. This is a procedure for knowledgable people and that will be my final say on it. Do this at your own risk.
Bigger tires and wheels = risk
Lift kits = risk
gears = risk
adjusting a steering box = risk

In the end its worth it, I would do it even if it voided the warranty, which in my case I am not concerned about. This is not for those that need the dealer for all their work. Not a knock against anyone. Just make sure you know what you are doing.

Enjoy the steering you should have had in the first place.

*end disclaimer

Last edited:

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney
This is interesting. I can't quite tell what you did with the Allen wrench and how far I would need to turn that inside nut.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
This is interesting. I can't quite tell what you did with the Allen wrench and how far I would need to turn that inside nut.
No disrespect but don't touch it, if you have any question to the placement of that set screw.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
Read the disclaimer again.

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
Wasn't there a photo in the video that showed his adjustment

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Brandon, Great video- that photo at the end is clear and concise. I don't have any issue with my steering, but so many people do. Keep up the good work!

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Brandon, Great video- that photo at the end is clear and concise. I don't have any issue with my steering, but so many people do. Keep up the good work!
same, no steering issues either, but nice to know folks are working on ideas to fix problems :like:

Sponsored

JPARK60

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi JTR, 17 KTM 690 Enduro, 12 Grand Cherokee, 05 Cooper S, 03 Super Glide,
Occupation
Helo Maint.
I should have done this the day I brought it home. This is the one thing, more than anything, that I hated about my Jeep. This little fix took minutes to do but I put it off thinking I could throw Sector Shaft Braces Track Bars, controls arms, and Steering Stabilizers at it. Do this first

Very informative, I read about the adjustment somewhere else and your video shows everything needed for the adjustment. Hopefully this will take care of my 3 degrees of dead zone I'm experiencing.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Great video. I posted in the other warranty thread, I had steering like your "before" setting, but the culprit was me not tightening the upper track bar bolt to spec. Whoops. Now my steering is much like your "after" with the same amount of play. So, it appears that mine was correctly set from the factory. OP, might I suggest moving the disclaimer to post 1? Over the years as people search this online, they might just stop at post 1 and not read the following discussion.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
Great video. I posted in the other warranty thread, I had steering like your "before" setting, but the culprit was me not tightening the upper track bar bolt to spec. Whoops. Now my steering is much like your "after" with the same amount of play. So, it appears that mine was correctly set from the factory. OP, might I suggest moving the disclaimer to post 1? Over the years as people search this online, they might just stop at post 1 and not read the following discussion.
Done. Thank you.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I should have done this the day I brought it home. This is the one thing, more than anything, that I hated about my Jeep. This little fix took minutes to do but I put it off thinking I could throw Sector Shaft Braces Track Bars, controls arms, and Steering Stabilizers at it. Do this first.

Read disclaimer below before attempting this fix.

That's a great video and good find and hopefully it will help some of these people complaining about their loose steering. Mine's pretty dialed in.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Measured my steering wheel play last night. I'm seeing 3-3.5 degrees of steering wheel movement with no associated pitman arm movement, as measured with my digital level app on my phone. I'm going to leave mine alone for now as the "wondering" is slight. For comparison, my wife's Ford Edge ST has around 0.5 degrees (or less) of play. Appreciate the video.
Sponsored