Sponsored

How to determine if batteries are about needing replacement?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
What are the signs that one or both batteries will soon need replacing? If one goes bad then both should be replaced, I have read.

I dont recall the display ever showing below 14V, now it is at 13, goes up to 13.8 briefly during downhill coasting.

At just under 60k miles, late 2019 build date
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That has nothing to do with our trucks.
They are referring to added batteries for camping gear, coolers, refrigerators and so on.
Our aux batteries are charged exactly the same at the same rate as the main/crank battery.
Check out their quote - leisure battery, not the "aux" battery the factory has in these trucks. They charge fine.
>> For those of us wanting to charge a second (auxiliary or leisure) battery whilst driving this presents a problem <<

What they are saying is that you need a system like REDARC sells for charging an added battery that's not stock.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
So your batteries are 12 volt. They need that extra charge up to 14 volts to make sure your battery is charging. Anything bellow 11 volts and your gonna have issues or a battery that doesn’t work.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Jesus, what did sass JT do to get banned?

Like 1990's Sarajevo around here with members getting sniped.

Sponsored

BajaTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave - 2003 TJ Rubicon -2008 JKU Rubicon

Now you’ve gone and done it! 😂

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
My 2019 Wrangler Batteries died this summer. We had warning signs. Occasional the jeep would not start. I thought it was because she wasn't stepping on the brake hard enough. This issue never happened to me. This summer it was completely dead and both batteries needed to be replaced. Of course only a few months out of the battery warranty. The batteries were swapped out and the Jeep has no issues. FYI, Conway Jeep did the service and only charged me $60 more than it would have cost me to buy both batteries off of amazon. The $60 was worth it since it is a pain in the ass to get to the aux battery.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
My 2019 Wrangler Batteries died this summer. We had warning signs. Occasional the jeep would not start. I thought it was because she wasn't stepping on the brake hard enough. This issue never happened to me. This summer it was completely dead and both batteries needed to be replaced. Of course only a few months out of the battery warranty. The batteries were swapped out and the Jeep has no issues. FYI, Conway Jeep did the service and only charged me $60 more than it would have cost me to buy both batteries off of amazon. The $60 was worth it since it is a pain in the ass to get to the aux battery.
Thanks. Yes it will be a bother to get, and replace the aux battery.

For those who may be interested. Still have not replaced the main battery and still no issues. I have not reached a spot where I will be without any cell/data signal so will update as I can. No ESS error messages, the system is working just fine. But as discussed, it can work even with the aux battery disconnected. Dash voltage showing movement between 13.6 and 14.2 V as normal. When the ESS kicked in and turned the engine off it read 12.4 but went up when engine kicked back on. So perhaps my concerns on the voltage going to 13V and essentially staying there were not a sign of pending battery failure.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Does anyone actually know? I wanted to pm him about a trail ride and now can’t.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I had my batteries replaced a couple weeks ago. Here were my warning signs...

ESS stopped engaging. Whenever I'd check the status, it told me "battery charging." That went on for several months.

A few weeks before replacement, i started getting a warning ding and message at start-up that said "aux switches not available" and i think it mentioned battery charging as well.

Finally, i went to start up and it wouldn't crank. Radio and everything worked, no warning lights, just not enough juice to turn over.

I checked the voltage several time over the months and it was always 14ish. Next time around, I'm going to ignore that voltage and replace* the aux once the ESS starts acting up. That thing killed my main battery.

*- Or do the bypass.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I had my batteries replaced a couple weeks ago. Here were my warning signs...

ESS stopped engaging. Whenever I'd check the status, it told me "battery charging." That went on for several months.

A few weeks before replacement, i started getting a warning ding and message at start-up that said "aux switches not available" and i think it mentioned battery charging as well.

Finally, i went to start up and it wouldn't crank. Radio and everything worked, no warning lights, just not enough juice to turn over.

I checked the voltage several time over the months and it was always 14ish. Next time around, I'm going to ignore that voltage and replace* the aux once the ESS starts acting up. That thing killed my main battery.

*- Or do the bypass.
Wondering if anyone knows if doing the bypass at the first signs of the ESS not working would prolong the life of the crank battery with the aux battery disconnected.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
Wondering if anyone knows if doing the bypass at the first signs of the ESS not working would prolong the life of the crank battery with the aux battery disconnected.
I'm pretty sure the aux cannobalizes the main as it dies and i think a bypass would help, but that's just a guess on my part.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Was told by a tech at a dealership I was visiting, the aux battery powers the modules before the crank battery turns the engine over.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The two batteries are paralleled together all the time, except during startup when the Aux battery is tested, and during ESS events when the engine is off. The primary purpose of the Aux battery is to keep the computers from crashing due to low voltage. When one of the batteries starts to fail, it puts a strain on the other one as they try to keep the voltage equal between them. If it is caught soon enough, only the failing battery needs replaced.

We got my truck and the Compass just a couple months apart, three years ago. I'm still running the original set of batteries in the truck. I had to replace the primary battery in the Compass a few months ago. The ESS battery would still take and hold a charge, so I haven't replaced it yet.
Sponsored