How to install 3 wire LED lights to Aux Switches

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
So I just bought some lights off Amazon, they have a Halo feature on top of fog lighting. I know it is possible to configure it to have halos and fogs on at once. I want to have them separately so I can have either or both on as I choose.

Watching some videos about JL aux light installs didn't go over this. Reading the Q&As in the reviews states the halo needs separate power in order to have it turn on/off independently. I am wondering if I should have it (halos) hooked to my DRLs.

I feel somewhat comfortable with the wiring, since I saw the videos but no clue in three wires.

Little help?

Screenshot_20191031-143446_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Sponsored

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
To have halo and lights separate - the three wires indicate 1 ground (common) and 1 power per light (Halo, driving). So to accomplish what you want (Switched) each power lead could be set up on a diff Aux switch. Or if you want Halo with Driving light - need to find source for power off one of your running lights and let Aux switch power new driving fog light. Personally not clear on tapping into the DRL for power for the Halo so will let someone else chime in on that.

OP
OP
noside85

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I feel like tapping into DRLs would be a bit better since it would take two aux switches for one set of lights. I would like 3 more options instead of 2, but maybe if tapping is too complicated I will double up on aux switches til I can get more use out of them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
noside85

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it installed, just gotta clean up the wires when I get a chance. First project like this, came out well imo

20191102_142400.jpg

20191101_210402.jpg

20191101_210354.jpg

20191101_205027.jpg

20191101_205010.jpg

fonzie

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JT, 1996 Bronco
Pretty cool! What light brackets are those?

Sponsored

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not understanding why you would put fog lights on the cowl unless it's just for looks? Fog lights don't put out enough throw to even get past the hood, so it's not useful in any way.

Fog lights should be mounted on the lower half of your front end. Somewhere on or below the bumper is ideal. They should be around 10 to 24 inches above the ground or at least below your vehicle’s headlights. But with fog lights, lower is better. Since fog usually starts about 2 feet off the ground your fog lights should be below that. If they are higher than the fog the only thing you’ll see when you turn them on is the reflection of your lights in the fog, which is reflected back into your face, making things worse. Kind of like when you hit your high beams in heavy fog. Mount your fog lights under the fog and you’ll be able to see the road ahead.
https://chuxtrux.com/n-19-how-to-aim-fog-lights-driving-lights-the-right-way.html

OP
OP
noside85

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not understanding why you would put fog lights on the cowl unless it's just for looks? Fog lights don't put out enough throw to even get past the hood, so it's not useful in any way.

https://chuxtrux.com/n-19-how-to-aim-fog-lights-driving-lights-the-right-way.html
I really got them for the halos, which look great. I plan on getting some spot or flood lights and mounting a pair or two there on the cowls. Eventually I want those halo fogs on the front bumper, but I haven't gotten the front bumper yet. Wait til xmas.

Last edited:

mike.lindquist03

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Got it installed, just gotta clean up the wires when I get a chance. First project like this, came out well imo

Jeep Gladiator How to install 3 wire LED lights to Aux Switches Screenshot_20191113-092304_Amazon Shoppin

Jeep Gladiator How to install 3 wire LED lights to Aux Switches Screenshot_20191113-092304_Amazon Shoppin

So how did you end up doing this? I just got these lights and brackets and want the halo's as DRL with the brighter light hooked up to an aux switch. I was thinking about hooking the halo's up to a fuse tap.

Also, the bolt holding the light onto the bracket, did you have to cut the bolt after you mounted it? The screw is too long and hits the hood.

OP
OP
noside85

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
to keep it simple for me, i just hooked them to two different aux switches and keep the one with halos on. my skills are very limited so hooking them up to DRLs is a great option but i need to more knowledge on that.

the bolt is pretty long and the clearance is minimal, i either had just enough to fit or found some random bolts around the garage. can't recall but i am leaning on it just barely working.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
See the diagram (below.)
To tap into the existing DRLs, you need to connect to the white w/ yellow stripe wire for the left and the white w/ dark blue wire for the right. I believe there are connectors under the fender liners near the top of the front wheels that go to the fender light assemblies. I'd recommend tapping into the body side of that connector, so you won't run into issues should you ever need to remove the fender.

Jeep Gladiator How to install 3 wire LED lights to Aux Switches DRL

Also, only try this with additional LED DRLs, as otherwise you could overload the lamp driver circuit, and cause problems.

Kevin

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Also, only try this with additional LED DRLs, as otherwise you could overload the lamp driver circuit, and cause problems.
Or, use a relay that only taps into one side and use the output to power both halos. A little more wiring (and skill).

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or, use a relay that only taps into one side and use the output to power both halos. A little more wiring (and skill).
The problem with that is the DRLs switch off with the turn signals, so if you tap only one side, the new DRLs won't switch properly.

Kevin

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
The problem with that is the DRLs switch off with the turn signals, so if you tap only one side, the new DRLs won't switch properly.

Kevin
Ah! good point

Do you subscribe to tech authority, or did you buy the online service manuals to be able to see the wiring diagrams?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)