Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
https://aceengineeringandfab.com/products/ace-jt-gladiator-rock-sliders

After consideration, research, and reading around this forum, I ordered a set of the ACE Engineering sliders. It was very attractive to me the design incorporated the stock JTR rock rails. Feedback on this forum that they served as effective steps for those of modest stature was equally attractive.

The video from ACE with Adam gave me the "get a longer breaker bar" data point, cheap Harbor Freight item to the rescue:

I waited for a free shipping offer from ACE and waited again for delivery, well within their promised window. Packaging was solid and it's a damned good thing there is a 20 yard dumpster at work I can do a midnight run to.

Lots of folks posted good installation information here, @Bbannongmu had a great YouTube video posted as well. The horror stories about broken bolts really pushed it down on the install list. Getting down Christmas decorations with an 8' tall shipping box leaned against shelves in the garage reset my priorities yesterday. Once it warmed up to 55 deg today I kicked on the compressor and got to work.

It was shockingly quick to complete this task. I looked at my watch at 945 and though "gee 15 minutes in, two hours to go!" I used the long cheap breaker bar and 18mm socket starting at the driver side forward bolt. Worked my way back, using the breaker bar and then switching to an impact wrench. then felt confident enough to move to the passenger side. Loosening/tightening with the breaker bar that was all that was needed, but the impact wrench needed the help FOR SURE.

I followed Adam's lead and just hucked the rails up to the center body mount, got the thread started from my back, then ran a couple of revolutions up with the impact gun. You DEFINITELY need an extension for the gun, the thick long ears running down (especially from the rear) make a 4" or longer extension mandatory. I swapped it back and forth between the breaker bar and gun, with a bare hand to get the threads started. The rails are so rigid, it only took three shots at each bolt to finish it up. I'd previously bought a Tekton 3/4" torque wrench for suspension work, and 85 ft/lb was trivial. My old shorter torque wrench doesn't get much love any longer.

At 10:31 I hailed my wife from the garage and asked her to try the steps out - BIG SMILE!! At this point, she doesn't feel the need for skateboard tape, even. The downside is I don't get to be handsy helping her get in the truck, but she feels a lot more comfortable hopping in and out. It will make things easier for our passengers as well, my parents as an example (4 x fake knees between them).

The sturdiness and strength are very apparent in these sliders. With my wife in the driver's seat, I hopped up on the rear door space and rocked the whole Jeep hopping up and down. No deflection, and dammit those Rubicon Fox shocks are toooooo SOFT!

The curvature of the factory rails to give a bit of a waist to the truck are apparent when you look at the straight ACE rails, but it's not an issue for me. My wife noticed immediately and dismissed it. Two big thumbs up from me, and two big thumbs up and a big smile from my wife!

Curvature:
Jeep Gladiator How to make your wife smile, or ACE Engineering Rock Sliders PXL_20201122_183131085 - Copy

Step space:
Jeep Gladiator How to make your wife smile, or ACE Engineering Rock Sliders PXL_20201122_183137464 - Copy
Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Looking great! Thanks for the shoutout !

Red-DSL

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 DSL Gladiator
Occupation
Engineering
Hey contemplating getting these for that extra step for me and the wife. Right now we jump in and slide out, do you find that now with these installed you can’t jump in and slide out (since you might hit your legs) and must use them to get in and out? Does it improve the use, or is it more of a pain now to have to use the steps?

I like the extra protection and ability now to reach the top if needed.

OP
OP
brianinca

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
With a stock suspension and 35's, I still don't use the sliders getting in or out. There is only enough contact to get dirt on my pants if we've been fooling around off pavement, and no shins damaged getting in.

It makes a BIG difference for my wife, even with heels she has no issue using the step as intended. My parents do use the hand grabs on the roll bar and seat headrest but they SAY it's comfortable.

Difference between 6'1" and 5'3", you know?

If/when I pull the trigger on a Clayton 2.5" lift, it may change, but for now the ACE rails don't impede or improve how I get in and out.

Hey contemplating getting these for that extra step for me and the wife. Right now we jump in and slide out, do you find that now with these installed you can’t jump in and slide out (since you might hit your legs) and must use them to get in and out? Does it improve the use, or is it more of a pain now to have to use the steps?

I like the extra protection and ability now to reach the top if needed.

msrebel

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5; 2021 Sarge Green JT Rubicon Diesel
Great write-up. My holdup has been the body bolts - just like you described.
Sponsored