Sponsored

How To Remove Gauge Cluster Fine Scratches

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
Has anyone removed any scratches from their gauge cluster? I have a few fine ones I'd like to remove. Thinking of trying PlastiX.

Whats the best way to clean them without scratching them? They seem to scratch insanely easily.
Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I always wondered why this wasn’t made of glass… how much more expensive could it be? These are always made w cheaper plastic and eventually get scratches.. frustrating !

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
I would think best way would be to disassemble it and use one of those headlight restorer kits maybe?

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve always wondered how those even get there.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
The plastic is incredibly soft and you cannot "wipe" it. I clean mine by taking a dry microfiber towel and doing a light mist of quick detail spray so that you can hardly tell anything is on there - definitely not damp. Fold it a few times so that it fits inside of a gauge bezel. Lightly "dab" the gauge plastic ONCE and pick back up off of the surface straight. Do not move the microfiber any direction. The dust, etc will lift off. Unfold the microfiber and re-fold to a new lightly misted section EVERY time you dab. Dab as needed to clean. Presto, no scratches.

i was wheeling with the top down in the dust and my gauges had dust all in them. Used that method, and they're crystal clear with no scratches.

Sponsored

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
There's a product called Polywatch used for polishing plastic watch crystals. It's a very fine polishing compound specifically made for plastics (obviously) that will give you the sort of result people expect on nice watches where you're really going to see it. What is a watch but another instrument after all? Less than $7 to your door from Amazon, and it even comes with a polishing cloth.

Not saying it's the best option on the planet, but I imagine it's a good one. It'd be my go-to since I have it on hand in my watchmaking bench..

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
use a light car polish, not a compound but some thing for light work

i also forgot I have sone of this I use on my pinball machine

BB709599-16EF-4C33-A0F0-25FE2199A6B9.jpeg