Sponsored

Hum when letting off the gas normal with this truck?

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have a new jt with only 1200 miles on it. After the first week of driving I started to notice a hum(a little bit higher pitched) when letting off the gas. It's most noticeable when coming down for 45-35. It doesn't sound too harmful but I've also never heard this on any other vehicle.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
What engine, What transmission, what trim, and what tires?

Tornado_6

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Did you ever get this resolved? My 2021 Overland that makes a similar noise, but it doesn't go away when I shift to neutral. I also get emails from Jeep Service stating I have a Malfunction Indicator Light for Powertrain malfunction, but there are no lights on the dashboard.

Sponsored

chr15m

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
I may have noticed what youre asking about. However, where you havent heard noises like this in other vehicles, I've experienced the opposite. Have had enough vehicles that change noises once I'm off the gas. I'm not worried about the sound my JT makes.

I had a S2000 that would ring when you let the gas off, at first I suspected the diff but traced the noise to the trans, then finally it was the shifter. Its a direct mount and the vibration of the trans would oscillate thru the shifter and make a ringing noise. Replaced the knob with a Delrin one and the noise went away.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R and 2017 Chevrolet Bolt
Occupation
Business Owner
By “hum” do you mean gear whine? Mine hums quite a bit since my re-gear (I’d call it a hollow whine without the high pitched end). It hasn’t gotten worse at all but does it in those exact ranges of speed when letting off the gas and coasting for a bit. It’s not annoying but is the prominent engine noise when letting off the gas. I always assumed it was gear whine but I know very little about this.

wakeup2river

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
Mine had a deep hum. It turned out it was the geared collar in the front axle disconnect ( FAD) that bridges the 2 right axle shafts together. Doesn’t matter if it’s in 2wd or 4. Dealer said the collar gear was machined too small on some JTs and it would begin to wobble in the housing. It would go away when I stopped then reappear at speed when I hit a bump in the road.

The best way to describe it was almost like a huge sucking intake noise or a wheel well plastic buffering in the wind. Totally got me off guard when I found out it was coming from the axle. $2500 repair under warranty at 3,500 miles. Jeep thinks it’s all good they fixed it under warranty, but I was stranded out on the Navajo Indian rez during Covid with zero assistance miles from anywhere. I have zero faith in these trucks as far as going into the back country.

FAD axle ….freaking brilliant, hope it saves 2 ounces of gas per tank and saves us from climate change. With the auto stop-start it saves another 2 ounces of gas. Hang on polar bears, we are trying the best we can down here to stop the warming .

🤡🤡🤡🤡
Sponsored