Sponsored

Hummer Electric Pickup first look. Are we missing an electric Gladiator?

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
As a former owner of a Hummer H3, glad to see its resurrection. But reserve judgement until I see execution of this new vehicle...

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
It seems to me FCA is really lagging in the electric vehicle department. Ford is way ahead. You can currently go to a Ford lot and buy an electric SUV (very stupid that it's called a "Mustang", but an electric SUV it is.) I've heard rumblings of GM diving head-first into the electric pool and there it is, an electric pickup. Haven't heard anything about electrics from FCA. (??)

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
First look at the Hummer electric pickup:

https://www.hummerevclub.com/forum/index.php?threads/torque-gmc-hummer-ev-superbowl-ad-teaser.1/

Tons of electric pickups coming from GM, Tesla, Ford, Rivian, Lordstown, Karma, etc.

Are we missing out?
For me, not really..... These electric pickups will continue to get better... So, being an early adopter will not be advantageous.... On the other hand, having the last gas, manual transmission, Jeep pickup ever designed and built is kind of cool, I'm digging it.

Sometimes having the last/best of the last generation of technology is better than having the first of the next generation technology....

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Here we are in 2020. So, where are the electrics from FCA?
Dude, it's January 30th...still a lot of 2020 to go. And you can already get the Wrangler with the eTorque as noted above.

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Isn't that actually a hybrid?
Yes, but my point is that the above article said the eTorque would be available in 2019 and it was. Fully electric is in the works, and we're supposed to hear more details sometime this year. Is FCA behind some of the other manufacturers? Yes, but it is coming. It will likely be in the form of an electric Renegade or Compass first, then move up the line to include other models including, eventually, the Wrangler and Gladiator.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
i'm still thinking having their plug in hybrid gladiator will be the best of both words for a bit until mr. fusion is readily available.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Electric cars are really cool but being a Tesla owner for the last decade there is one thing always on your mind your next charge. Driving on trips on more than one occasion i`ve had to wait several hours just to get plugged in then wait several hours for a full charge, it`s a dynamic that has to be factored in while traveling in an electric car. Second, using for example air conditioning, radio and other electrical devices cuts into the advertised mileage range of the car. Third, charging at home one better have solar panels, if you use the car daily there will be a big jump in the electric bill, every Tesla owner i know has installed solar panels. All of the above is from experience, i have owned five Teslas in the last ten years and will continue to do so, they are great you just have to know what your getting into there is no free ride.
Sponsored