Humor Me...Could it be Less?

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I got to thinking... they keep mentioning best in class and always put it in the Compact Truck Class. Yes a fully loaded Colorado or Tacoma can get up to $50k+ but very well equip new compact trucks are going for $30-40K. Best way for them to alienate a whole class of trucks is to price it well above the average. Just my thoughts.
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I am not trying to be confrontational but we do not know the price. How can we have an intelligent discussion about price when price doesn’t exist?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Just saw the post about the Hercules which suggests to me that they "might" have a new ultra-premium tier allowing the current confirmed models to be more standard to the industry in price. Everyone was saying "Fully Equipped Rubicon = Raptor" for price, now they can say "Hercules = Raptor" for price instead.

Sponsored

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I got to thinking... they keep mentioning best in class and always put it in the Compact Truck Class. Yes a fully loaded Colorado or Tacoma can get up to $50k+ but very well equip new compact trucks are going for $30-40K. Best way for them to alienate a whole class of trucks is to price it well above the average. Just my thoughts.
Makes sense. I think people also need to realize that, as far as I can tell, the numbers aren't other-worldly compared to the competition. Ranger probably wins in towing with the exception of max tow, ranger and Colorado diesel win in MPG and torque, etc. But lots of people that will buy this put other things above that and won't really care. So Jeep can play off of that, but they don't have too much room to price gouge when it comes to numbers. I think most people realize this.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Just saw the post about the Hercules which suggests to me that they "might" have a new ultra-premium tier allowing the current confirmed models to be more standard to the industry in price. Everyone was saying "Fully Equipped Rubicon = Raptor" for price, now they can say "Hercules = Raptor" for price instead.
Buuuut. It would be really odd for the JT pricing to be much different from the JL pricing. Will be very interesting to see how this unfolds

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Buuuut. It would be really odd for the JT pricing to be much different from the JL pricing. Will be very interesting to see how this unfolds
SUVs are usually more than their pickup counterparts. However, I could see some JL owners being upset if the pricing for the JT was less. Also the rumors months ago was that the pickup would have a $2,500 premium, but that was the same time the "intentionally expensive" comment was said by the past CEO of FCA and with the Sport and Sport S models that no longer seems to be the case.

Lots of mixed info going around right now.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
While there are going to be some jeep owners who want a truck so they'll care, but for a LOT of people... the JL and the JT are different beasts with different uses. There will be plenty of JL people that switch, but there will probably be even more people who come to the JT because they wanted a Jeep but needed a truck.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
I think pricing you need to compare pricing to a TRD Pro or ZR2. It’s not just a midsize truck. It’s an off-road oriented midsize truck. Those trucks have a premium.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
As others said, suvs often are more expensive. If the JT was made before the jl, people would expect the shorter more "fun" and capable off road vehicle to be more expensive. Except the wrangler has been around for decades.

Will surely be interesting to see.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I'm learning way more than I want to. On this whole cannibalism thing, loyal Jeep customers are serial purchasers. So a JK buyer might be a JT buyer now or later. And some will just add JT to the family. So maybe the pricing issue isn't JT vs JK. And the Grand Cherokee starts at 31K ( the ONLY Jeep starting in the 30's). Now I'm almost thinking JT Sport might come in the 20's. I am humoring the OP, in all seriousness.
Sponsored