Sponsored

Hydro Blue Rubicon arrived, 900 miles later

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
Tomorrow will be one week with my new Blue Rubicon. Ordered Dec 6th, flew in to Boise on the 9th of January, despite two holidays and the weather!

Major shout out to Kent at Peterson’s. I started shopping locally in Washington and nobody wanted to talk discounts, fewer had hydro blue Rubicons. Then the half truths and full blown distortions came and I started to get a bit frustrated with the process. Got word of Kent from the forum and same day I had an offer of almost 7% below invoice, zero negotiation. I’ll refinance in 6 months, completely worth it. I was out of the dealership in an hour and drove home through Oregon, Columbia Gorge and then North, avoiding most of the snow. Of course, it snowed at home and I live on a hill. I’ve been pretty impressed with the Gladiator on black ice this week.

I’m over 900 miles this last week. So far this truck is everything I had hoped it would be. I really like my heated leather seats and yeah, the steering wheel too. I’m familiar with the “interesting” artifacts of adaptive cruise from my wife’s Cadillac, so actually like how Jeep implemented it here as almost two separate cruise control systems. You can better choose when you want that behavior. I used it a few times on two lane mountain passes in Oregon and actually got myself behind a truck and just let the adaptive cruise take me down the mountain, braking and all. Bit of a respite on a long day of driving! The steering is mostly well behaved on good highway, but felt I was wanting maybe one shade more toe in on one particular stretch of less than stellar roadway. It was not a deal breaker, but I could see what some folks are dealing with on vehicles that were unlucky with a bit more play. Most of the time, I really like how it drives, though there is an artifact here that is not just a fact of life with a Jeep.

I liked the 8.4 Uconnect and having my phone, music integrated in a Jeep with front and rear cameras, well let’s just say it’s a very different experience than my CJ. I felt like the general cockpit, everything was easily reached, where it was supposed to be. The three extra large knobs, thank you Jeep. Can’t beat an analog knob for ease of use and I can find them without looking. Only once did I have to manually crank the heater fan, but the outside temp was in the 20’s and that one leg glued to the door needed some assistance. The atmosphere was decent sound wise, I Sprung for the insulating panels on the hard top and while I can’t compare without them, the road noise was not unpleasant.

I flew out with a freshly fractured toe and a bit of spasm in my back from a rather inconvenient bone spur from the decisions of days gone by. All in all, the Jeep was very comfortable, even with a few extra challenges thrown in. The seat and the ride made for a comfortable experience, not just something to be endured. I had room to stretch my feet and my back had a good angle and did not get tired. Not my wife’s Cadillac, but something a little more active and present and still fun to drive. Oh....and those LED lights on a dark twisting deer strewn highway with no street lights. YESSSS. Compared to the JW Speakers in my CJ, which were previously the LED sort of benchmark, well these are at least as good and in peripheral maybe a shade better.

Next up, probably some rock slide steps and a winch.

63DD1589-CDDF-4823-9EA6-39618EEE579E.jpeg

F8D4ABD9-074F-407E-A81F-B24ADCBF6A97.jpeg

F0EBDE7F-2F28-40AB-8F0D-CFE4590BC9FA.jpeg
Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Congrats and thanks for an excellent write up. A good read.