First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Came home with a loaded Tacoma TRD Off road for 36k! Couldn’t be happier. :like::rock:

Too many unknowns. Not enough info being put out for a truck supposedly on the cusp of release and I have plans to make. Maybe in a year or two when these things have some mileage on them and we start getting some good reviews and reports I might think about picking one up. For now, I’m going to go enjoy my retirement and my new truck.

I hope you guys get what you want out of this. It just wasn’t worth the wait for me.

See you guys around the river... :like:

084E8852-5062-4E50-8347-41929D047D1D.jpg
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Come back and post some random pics of your fly-fishing endeavors please. Glad you're happy with your purchase even if its worse than a Jeep...... just kidding :CWL::CWL:

You went with Gobi eh?

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Come back and post some random pics of your fly-fishing endeavors please. Glad you're happy with your purchase even if its worse than a Jeep...... just kidding :CWL::CWL:

You went with Gobi eh?
They didn’t have any in gator. :LOL:

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
Came home with a loaded Tacoma TRD Off road for 36k! Couldn’t be happier. :like::rock:

Too many unknowns. Not enough info being put out for a truck supposedly on the cusp of release and I have plans to make. Maybe in a year or two when these things have some mileage on them and we start getting some good reviews and reports I might think about picking one up. For now, I’m going to go enjoy my retirement and my new truck.

I hope you guys get what you want out of this. It just wasn’t worth the wait for me.

Very nice quicksand! I may join you with an Army Green TRD pro. The length of the gladiator is really my only hold up right now. Taco is around 6-8” shorter. Can’t go wrong with a taco.

Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice quicksand! I may join you with an Army Green TRD pro. The length of the gladiator is really my only hold up right now. Taco is around 6-8” shorter. Can’t go wrong with a taco.
Isn't it shorter because the cab isn't as spacious?

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
Isn't it shorter because the cab isn't as spacious?
I believe it’s just the rear cab in the gladiator that is bigger than the taco. I think the taco is wider, and the rear is useless wasted space for me anyway really. I’m just in the front. The tacos rear room is about perfect for what I would need. I wish they would have added 6” to the bed and taken 6” out of the rear cab haha

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN

https://www.riverviewtoyota.com/inv.../3TMCZ5AN3JM182494/2018-Toyota-Tacoma-Mesa-AZ

Here’s some motivation for your TRD off-road build!

Bt_okst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trd pro
Have a trd pro tacoma now. Very good truck. However, yes the shorter length results in zero leg room in the back seat. That and the poor engine/transmission match are definitely knocks. Overall it's very nice and the maneuverability and turning radius of a pro are stellar.

I'm still holding on for a gladiator, but am not opposed to going with a 2020 pro to get power seat and better infotainment system than my 2018 if the gladiator doesnt work out.

I use my truck for work and having a head unit that is like it was from 2005 is not handy. Cant verbally text etc and the jeep uconnect system in my past grand Cherokee was superior even though it was an older vehicle. Will def upgrade to a 20 pro from my 18 if the gladiator winds up being not as I hope or they price it too crazy.

Bt_okst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trd pro
Functionality of the rear seats in the jeep both storage wise and comfort wise and with the additional leg room are a big advantage over the tacoma if you are ever going to haul people or truly utilize the back cab for storage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Most of the time it’s just me and the wife or me and my buddy. No one is going to be back there so it’s a none issue for me. Plenty of room back there for my gear. And I got the locking tonneau cover as well.

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
Most of the time it’s just me and the wife or me and my buddy. No one is going to be back there so it’s a none issue for me. Plenty of room back there for my gear. And I got the locking tonneau cover as well.
How did the shifting and power feel to you? Feel sluggish at all?

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Exactly. I need the functionality in a 7/16 size truck. Don’t want 1/2 (too wide and too long to only get 5.5 bed) and 1/4 being midsize (too small rear legroom). I needed something in the middle size wise. The gladiator with 38.3 rear inches of legroom and the fold up rear seat and fold down without moving the headrest is superior to the 32.9 Tacoma for those that need it. Otherwise a fine truck. Additionally, the 6’ bed option on the Taco is handy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
From everything I’ve read I was worried that that was going to be an issue. When Intook the intital test drive I went expecting it but quickly found the truck shifting smoothly and with plenty of power. We went from a pretty congested, stop and go area where there was road work to get onto the highway. As I was getting on the on-ramp I punched it and within a few seconds was surprised to see Inwas already doing 80 mph.

I think this truck will suit me nicely for what I intend to do. Reliability wise I don’t think any other manufacturer can touch it. And really that is my main concern above all. And like I said, in a year or two, if the Gladiator is getting good reviews and they price it reasonably maybe I’ll trade in the taco. It’s paid for so I don’t have to worry about taking it in the shorts on financing and all that junk.

Good luck to all you Jeepers. I’m still a Toyota guy at heart....
Sponsored

Last edited: