Sponsored

I accidentally put my jack on the drive shaft

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
wasnt paying attention when I went to set my pinion angle and put my jack where the picture shows. Now i have a slight squeak every revolution or so. Not sure what I messed up or what need to be replaced now...

20200806_184252.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Aberk

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like the noise is gone after a bit of driving. Still a bit concerned

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Whew - I thought you meant you put it on the shaft. The joint - unlikely you hurt anything.
I'll bet supporting it there made it harder to set the pinion angle since you had it jacked by the pinion in a sense, raising the pinion, tipping it up.

Did you set/change the angle ok?

OP
OP
Aberk

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whew - I thought you meant you put it on the shaft. The joint - unlikely you hurt anything.
I'll bet supporting it there made it harder to set the pinion angle since you had it jacked by the pinion in a sense, raising the pinion, tipping it up.

Did you set/change the angle ok?
Yeah, the angle is much better now. I was able to get my upper control arms set to the lift manufacturers recommended length.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the angle is much better now. I was able to get my upper control arms set to the lift manufacturers recommended length.
Good. Vehicles with short drive shafts are pretty sensitive to pinion angle or too much front vs rear joint angle differences.
Frankly, I'd just keep an eye on the joint. Driveshaft sounds will be a lot "faster" than wheel sounds so you should know if it's coming from the drive shaft area or axle/brake/wheel. (disk brakes can squeak if the vehicle sits and the rotors got wet and any rust formed on them - I've had that happen on 3 Jeeps)

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
All of a sudden, I started getting an intermittent brake squeak when I was slow rolling with the brakes off. Check your inside lower disc brake spring on both your rear calipers. Somehow when I was putting my rear control arm skids and shock skids, I broke, or maybe it was already broken, one of the rear lower disc brake springs on the drivers side. This spring keeps the pad from squeaking on the caliper when the brakes are released. Easy fix, $15 for the spring kit, but, the dealer had to order it. Here you can see the broken spring on the inside which keeps the pad from making noise.

Jeep Gladiator I accidentally put my jack on the drive shaft ZRI6ma

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is nothing to retract the caliper piston(s) when the brakes are released. The pads on most systems clear due to the normal very very slight runout of the rotor that moves the pads back, and the shape of the piston seal helps retract it an amount measured in the ten thousandths of an inch. Springs help keep the pads solid against the caliper and not against the rotor. The normal clearance of pad to rotor on disk brakes is so minute, that even a bit of dirt or rust build-up causes the pads to touch - and squeak.
So any broken anti-rattle or anti-squeak springs allow the pad to touch - and make noise.

Drum brakes have springs to retract shoes from the drum surface - disk brakes have only the piston seal, and the natural lateral movement of the imperfect rotor surface to cause the pads to not drag.
Those springs may seem silly - but one being broken or missing can lead to rattle or squeak as pointed out here.
If it's rust - drive it and make a few stops. If there's a broken or missing spring - fix it.
Sponsored