Sponsored

"I", am an ANALOG man, trapped in a DIGITAL age.............Uconnect and navigation?

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2021, Gladiator, Rubicon, Snazzberry, MANY others
Occupation
retired
Howdy All,

Sorry for the long post, if you manage to read the whole thing any help you can give will most appreciated, THANK YOU.

"I", am a self confessed computer and all things electronic IDIOT. I am way to darn dumb to have a cell phone but I carry one. Having just bought the Gladiator, I am bewildered by all the electronics, I have used Garmin GPS units for over 25 years but really don't have a clue on how to use whatever it is this new Jeep has for navigation.

I read the owners manual, it talks about "Uconnect" but to "ME" it has no meaning. I plugged my iPhone, into one of the usb ports and pushed the "APP" button on the 7 inch screen, one of the icons displayed looked like the google maps icon on my phone so I pushed that icon on the 7 inch screen and what looked like google maps came up and worked much better then it does on my phone.

Anyway finally to my question, from what I can gather this Uconnect thing is a TRIAL and it will have to be paid for if you want to keep it, WHEN the Uconnect trial ends, do I lose navigation on the 7 inch screen even if I have my IPhone, plugged into a usb port?

What really frosts my nether regions is that to have the factory trailer brake controller installed it replaces the 12 volt power outlet that I had planed to use to power my Garmin GPS. I can't find a power cable that will plug into the Garmin Montana base that plugs into a usb port as power source. So if I don't subscribe to Uconnect, it looks like I am going to be without a navigational aid until I can figure out how to get power to my Garmin.

This old dog is trying hard to learn new tricks but right now I am swamped with information overload.

Dave
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Think of UConnect as just the name of the system that runs the display. Like saying it's a PC or Mac or Linux. It itself is not a subscription. There's add on features you can subscribe to as an option.

You are seeing Google maps through Apple Car Play, which is exactly what you think it is, it's Google maps from your phone instead of the onboard navigation. Android Auto, the Android version, is even better.

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Hey Dave,
The Term Uconnect is just what the Unit is called in my opinion. There are Live services that are a subscription.
We have an android and we downloaded Android Auto App onto our phone. Needs to be plugged into usb in our case.

They explain it well I think. Should be the same with Iphone

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Think of UConnect as just the name of the system that runs the display. Like saying it's a PC or Mac or Linux. It itself is not a subscription. There's add on features you can subscribe to as an option.

You are seeing Google maps through Apple Car Play, which is exactly what you think it is, it's Google maps from your phone instead of the onboard navigation. Android Auto, the Android version, is even better.
Howdy j.o,y.ride,

If "I" understand you correctly, even after the Uconnect trail expires, google maps will still show up on my 7 inch screen SO LONG AS, I have my iPhone plugged into a usb port. If that is true then I don't have a problem, still need to figure out how to power the Garmin, which has years worth of waypoints, tracks and routes stored on it. THANK YOU for your help.

Dave

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Howdy j.o,y.ride,

If "I" understand you correctly, even after the Uconnect trail expires, google maps will still show up on my 7 inch screen SO LONG AS, I have my iPhone plugged into a usb port. If that is true then I don't have a problem, still need to figure out how to power the Garmin, which has years worth of waypoints, tracks and routes stored on it. THANK YOU for your help.

Dave
What is going to expire is some add on feature they gave you for free that you clearly aren't using or maybe even aware you have. But the unit you have will function exactly the same when it expires. Both Car Play and Android Auto are far better navigations than the factory.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Hey Dave,
The Term Uconnect is just what the Unit is called in my opinion. There are Live services that are a subscription.
We have an android and we downloaded Android Auto App onto our phone. Needs to be plugged into usb in our case.

They explain it well I think. Should be the same with Iphone

Howdy PlayfulBird,

Again if "I" understand what your saying and what the video is saying even with out Uconnect I should still be able to use the hands free phone, map apps that are in my phone, music apps that are in my phone and voice command or push buttons on the steering wheel to control those apps.

THANKS for your help, I had better plan to spend a few hours in the driveway learning how to use all this stuff.

Dave

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Howdy PlayfulBird,

Again if "I" understand what your saying and what the video is saying even with out Uconnect I should still be able to use the hands free phone, map apps that are in my phone, music apps that are in my phone and voice command or push buttons on the steering wheel to control those apps.

THANKS for your help, I had better plan to spend a few hours in the driveway learning how to use all this stuff.

Dave
It is a little playing around but you will see much easier than one expects. Great piece of kit and allows many other mapping apps which can be nice to have.

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There are other options for Trailer Brake controllers. You don't have to give up the 12v power port. The Mopar controller offers nothing special over the other units available.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If "I" understand you correctly, even after the Uconnect trail expires,
UCONNECT never expires.
SiriusXM radio is a trial and expires.
Sirius Guardian - which allows some control over locks, remote starting (if equipped) and reports and so on through your phone (similar to the Buick ads where people are skydiving and locking their Buick using their phone)
UCONNECT is the radio and radio system. It never expires. CarPlay, Android Auto, that sort of thing are there forever and are apps that are part of UCONNECT.

If you want to keep satellite radio after that expires, you pay
If you want to keep Sirius Guardian after that expires, you pay.
All of that info is online - there are documents and good explanations. You can go online and see the status of your Jeep and see how long you have before the satellite radio trial expires, for example.

But uconnect does not expire, it never will.

Jeep Gladiator "I", am an ANALOG man, trapped in a DIGITAL age.............Uconnect and navigation? 1652468141687

Jeep Gladiator "I", am an ANALOG man, trapped in a DIGITAL age.............Uconnect and navigation? 1652468213610

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
There are other options for Trailer Brake controllers. You don't have to give up the 12v power port. The Mopar controller offers nothing special over the other units available.
Howdy Mr._Bill,

I have had after market brake controllers before, I just thought it would be nice to have the factory one and eliminate ANY possible problems with warranty. If Jeep sells it and installs it and it screws up that's on them not me. I learned many decades ago it's way cheaper for me to pay someone who knows what their doing then to repair the mess and fire I started.

If I can weld it, machine it, hammer on it, blow it up or shoot it, I am highly qualified, if it has wires or in any way uses electricity it's enough to make me cry little a little girl.

Dave

Sponsored

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
UCONNECT never expires.
Sirius Guardian - which allows some control over locks, remote starting (if equipped) and reports and so on through your phone (similar to the Buick ads where people are skydiving and locking their Buick using their phone)
UCONNECT is the radio and radio system. It never expires. CarPlay, Android Auto, that sort of thing are there forever and are apps that are part of UCONNECT.

All of that info is online - there are documents and good explanations. You can go online and see the status of your Jeep and see how long you have before the satellite radio trial expires, for example.

Jeep Gladiator "I", am an ANALOG man, trapped in a DIGITAL age.............Uconnect and navigation? 1652468213610

Howdy Bill,

Thanks for your reply and very informative post.

Dave

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
I'm certainly no expert, but I think I can help shed a little light for you.

I read the owners manual, it talks about "Uconnect" but to "ME" it has no meaning. I plugged my iPhone, into one of the usb ports and pushed the "APP" button on the 7 inch screen, one of the icons displayed looked like the google maps icon on my phone so I pushed that icon on the 7 inch screen and what looked like google maps came up and worked much better then it does on my phone.
As a previous poster said, UConnect is just the name of the system that Jeep uses in their infotainment. It's analogous to Windows on a computer. UConnect is not a subscription; it's just the system you have in your Jeep.

However, this generation of vehicles also comes with Apple Carplay (what you'd use) and Android Auto. These activate automatically when you connect an Apple or Android device to your vehicle via USB. Their purpose is to take some of your phone's most important features (messaging, navigation, etc) and make them available via your vehicle touchscreen so you don't have to fiddle with your phone while driving.

Said another way:
  1. Plug your phone into a USB.
  2. UConnect recognizes that you have an iPhone, and goes, "Hey Dave, want to do some cool iPhone stuff up here instead of on your phone?"
  3. You put your phone away, and drive.
There will be a configuration/setup that you'll have to do the first time you connect it, which it sounds like you already did. But, from then on, Apple Carplay should just start automatically. Look for a blue arrow icon pointing up on your touchscreen. That will take you to your Apple Carplay home screen where you can see all of the apps it gives you access to.

Anyway finally to my question, from what I can gather this Uconnect thing is a TRIAL and it will have to be paid for if you want to keep it, WHEN the Uconnect trial ends, do I lose navigation on the 7 inch screen even if I have my IPhone, plugged into a usb port?
The only trials I had with my truck were Sirius XM Radio and Sirius Guardian. Both of them offer services THROUGH UConnect, but they're not the same AS UConnect. The Sirius XM Radio station part should be obvious, but the Guardian is a GPS and remote control feature (that is quite pricey) that allows you to check on your vehicle through the UConnect app on your phone and some other stuff I've never used. It's like $20 a month, and I have no intention of renewing it.

What really frosts my nether regions is that to have the factory trailer brake controller installed it replaces the 12 volt power outlet that I had planed to use to power my Garmin GPS. I can't find a power cable that will plug into the Garmin Montana base that plugs into a usb port as power source. So if I don't subscribe to Uconnect, it looks like I am going to be without a navigational aid until I can figure out how to get power to my Garmin.
Can you provide a little more info on which outlet is being replaced? Trailer brake makes me think it's towards the rear of the bed, but 12v makes me think it's the cigarette lighter in your center stack.

There are a ton of options to get power where you need it. Let us know exactly what the connector is on the end of your Garmin, and we can find a way to get power to it for you.

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I'm certainly no expert, but I think I can help shed a little light for you.

As a previous poster said, UConnect is just the name of the system that Jeep uses in their infotainment. It's analogous to Windows on a computer. UConnect is not a subscription; it's just the system you have in your Jeep.

However, this generation of vehicles also comes with Apple Carplay (what you'd use) and Android Auto. These activate automatically when you connect an Apple or Android device to your vehicle via USB. Their purpose is to take some of your phone's most important features (messaging, navigation, etc) and make them available via your vehicle touchscreen so you don't have to fiddle with your phone while driving.

Said another way:
  1. Plug your phone into a USB.
  2. UConnect recognizes that you have an iPhone, and goes, "Hey Dave, want to do some cool iPhone stuff up here instead of on your phone?"
  3. You put your phone away, and drive.
There will be a configuration/setup that you'll have to do the first time you connect it, which it sounds like you already did. But, from then on, Apple Carplay should just start automatically. Look for a blue arrow icon pointing up on your touchscreen. That will take you to your Apple Carplay home screen where you can see all of the apps it gives you access to.

The only trials I had with my truck were Sirius XM Radio and Sirius Guardian. Both of them offer services THROUGH UConnect, but they're not the same AS UConnect. The Sirius XM Radio station part should be obvious, but the Guardian is a GPS and remote control feature (that is quite pricey) that allows you to check on your vehicle through the UConnect app on your phone and some other stuff I've never used. It's like $20 a month, and I have no intention of renewing it.

Can you provide a little more info on which outlet is being replaced? Trailer brake makes me think it's towards the rear of the bed, but 12v makes me think it's the cigarette lighter in your center stack.

There are a ton of options to get power where you need it. Let us know exactly what the connector is on the end of your Garmin, and we can find a way to get power to it for you.
Howdy Lucas,

Thanks so much for putting your information in language a troglodyte/Luddite, like me can understand. I think with the help of the folks on this list I have a pretty good handle on what this Uconnect stuff is, what it does and what I need. Can't even imagine trying to figure all this stuff out without the internet.

On my Gladiator, the only 12 volt cigarette type power receptacle is located on the far left, bottom of the main dash panel. To have the factory brake controller installed they use that location to get power and to install the controller operating knob. My Garmin, has a male cigarette lighter plug on the end of it. "IF" I had electrical knowledge I am sure that a usb type male plug could be installed on the end of the Garmin power cord, as I DON'T have such knowledge I'll do some research and see if some local electrical repair shop might be able to install the proper end on the Garmin power cord. I checked with Garmin, they do not sell such a power cord for my GPS.

Dave

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
UCONNECT never expires.

Does not work for us, site just keeps loading :/
Our Jeep is turning out weird though, the vin lookup window sticker gives us a french (so Canada) Vehicle with no color and I think some mismatching in the options, but I don't seem to be able to link the vehicle. Mopar US just keeps loading and Mopar EU does not recognize the vin.
I was trying to figure out the Go and Live services, but the dealer here is also a bit confused.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
To have the factory brake controller installed they use that location to get power and to install the controller operating knob. My Garmin, has a male cigarette lighter plug on the end of it. "IF" I had electrical knowledge I am sure that a usb type male plug could be installed on the end of the Garmin power cord, as I DON'T have such knowledge I'll do some research and see if some local electrical repair shop might be able to install the proper end on the Garmin power cord. I checked with Garmin, they do not sell such a power cord for my GPS.
Hmm, well, I've not done this myself, but I have seen a lot of posters here use something like this to "tap" into that 12v connection:

12 Volt Power Adapter for 1999-2018 Jeep Wrangler JK JKU TJ Unlimited & for 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT : Electronics (amazon.com)

If you're comfortable doing some minor disassembly, it's a pretty easy install. You just plug that in between the source wire and the brake controller that they'll be putting in. Then, assuming you can find a cable that can connect to this adapter (not the cigarette lighter), your Garmin should be good to go.

Is the end of the cable that goes into your Garmin just a small round connector, about 1/4" or so in diameter?
Sponsored