Sponsored

I have no idea why I'm compelled to consider this... but I am!

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Tuner Teases 1980s YJ Wrangler Front End Kit for 2021 Model (msn.com)

Jeep Gladiator I have no idea why I'm compelled to consider this... but I am! SQUARE

While I owned two YJs and ranted about Chrysler changing the headlights to square at the time, I find myself now compelled to consider this cool upgrade from Quadratec for my JT... AND I HAVE KNOW IDEA WHY I'M COMPELLED TO CONSIDER THIS WHEN I RANTED ABOUT THE HEADLIGHTS NOT BEING ROUND BACK THEN! Must be the fond memories of the YJ.
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
If it gave more grill opening and cooling than I would consider. I had a YJ as my first and I think it looks great. Hell of a lot better than the "angry bird" grills.... I would also love to have a steel bumper instead of this plastic crape. I tried to mount some lights and there is nothing firm to attach too. SMH

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
I hear ya....my first ever Jeep was a 1987 Brown Wrangler (no one called it a YJ back then), so I’m very fond of the square lights. I remember being angry they went back to round.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Never liked the square lights.

Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
While we should all be jumping at collecting YJs over the next 2 - 3 years, if you can find a very good one, there is a reason why the did away with the rectangles. To each their own but I think it would age the appearance of the front end, back the 80s. I do celebrate with Quadratec their 30 years of business and service, but I can't help but wonder if their may be another true jeep heritage option they could have come up with. How about half hard doors with removable canvas uppers? How about that body kit?

Looking again at OPs PIC. I would take flat steel bumper with hooks and 5 inch lights over the plastic one my Sport came with. If Quadratec offered that bumper alone with hooks and lights and perhaps their 30 year small emblem, I would. Come tho think i it, maybe I need to look at building it.

To each their own, have fun!!

Jeep Gladiator I have no idea why I'm compelled to consider this... but I am! 1611618882524

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I had a yj too. Thats kinda cool.

i wont do it, though. Has to move forward.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Kinda has the same issue the round headlight conversions for YJ's have - the hoodline doesn't match the shape of the headlights.

Square hood + round headlights = no Bueno
Round hood + square headlights = no Bueno

Of course I can always go out and pet my YJ if I start to miss square lights.

Jeep Gladiator I have no idea why I'm compelled to consider this... but I am! 1611618882524

While I owned two YJs and ranted about Chrysler changing the headlights to square at the time, I find myself now compelled to consider this cool upgrade from Quadratec for my JT... AND I HAVE KNOW IDEA WHY I'M COMPELLED TO CONSIDER THIS WHEN I RANTED ABOUT THE HEADLIGHTS NOT BEING ROUND BACK THEN! Must be the fond memories of the YJ.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Love the YJ. My first Jeep was a 93. I think that grille would look good in Firecracker Red!

Sponsored

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
I wouldn't buy it, but I like it. My first Jeep was a 1995 YJ...it had no radio, no a/c, no power steering, no carpet in the back, but it was more fun than any vehicle I've ever owned. I like the homage to the YJ!

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
While the square headlights and grill did not appeal to me, I watched the YouTube of the whole retro JL fro Quadratec this AM. Very nice. Lot of bolt on sales pitches but some real nice custom one offs.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

They were changed for the 87 model year - likely a change AMC made since they were still built by AMC in their plants through 88. (but my 87 had both AMC and MOPAR decals under the hood, weird)
The last AMC car was rolled off the line December 1987 as a 1988 model. (it was an Eagle wagon)
Not sure about the Jeep side of things......... but as an 87 model year, it would have been AMC's doing as far as the headlights.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Does it come with crank windows, a carburetor and leaf springs...?