Sponsored

I have to ask…

Is it a truck thing paying to have a lift installed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I just did a rubicon spring and shock swap. I hadn’t done it before, but I had a mechanic friend help me and we knocked it out quick. I did one again recently helping out a friend. I had done it before so was able to do it quickly in the garage with fairly basic tools. If it was a more involved install, I might have had to pay someone. I like at least helping so I know how to do it in the future. I change my own oil, cut my own grass, fix my stuff when it breaks and detail my own cars. I pay people occasionally to do stuff when I don’t have time but things like oil changes are ridiculously easy on the JT and it’s easier to do it than wait to have it done at the dealership. I did take it in for the Jeep Wave oil changes and tire rotations because it was free and they gave me a loaner car and I picked it up after work. I’ve never paid for a brake job because it’s so easy to do and I can buy the parts so much cheaper online. When I had to do brakes on my fiancées Nissan, I really didn’t have the time so I was going to have the dealership do it when it was in for a recall, but they quoted $600. I did it for about $90. New pads and was able to have the rotors turned and they work better than new. Super smooth and quiet and very little brake dust. That was worth making the time for.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RCKLNDR

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I just did a rubicon spring and shock swap. I hadn’t done it before, but I had a mechanic friend help me and we knocked it out quick. I did one again recently helping out a friend. I had done it before so was able to do it quickly in the garage with fairly basic tools. If it was a more involved install, I might have had to pay someone. I like at least helping so I know how to do it in the future. I change my own oil, cut my own grass, fix my stuff when it breaks and detail my own cars. I pay people occasionally to do stuff when I don’t have time but things like oil changes are ridiculously easy on the JT and it’s easier to do it than wait to have it done at the dealership. I did take it in for the Jeep Wave oil changes and tire rotations because it was free and they gave me a loaner car and I picked it up after work. I’ve never paid for a brake job because it’s so easy to do and I can buy the parts so much cheaper online. When I had to do brakes on my fiancées Nissan, I really didn’t have the time so I was going to have the dealership do it when it was in for a recall, but they quoted $600. I did it for about $90. New pads and was able to have the rotors turned and they work better than new. Super smooth and quiet and very little brake dust. That was worth making the time for.
You’re so right about the oil changes. It’s so easy on these thingsthat it’s not worth the time spent at a dealer having it done (especially with instances of tech over torquing the oil fill cap).

My philosophy on most things jeep related is; if you do it yourself, you’re going to have a better understanding of how to troubleshoot and fix issues Should they arise.

I’m a bit of an odd duck because I read the install instructions before I purchase a jeep part. I just feel like knowing how things are done and getting an idea of the engineering makes you a more informed consumer.

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
I don't pay for any work on any vehicle since I am a technician in a dealership. So I do understand the pride of accomplishment that goes with completing any work on a vehicle. But I realize that some people value their time enough to find it worthwhile to pay a shop to do work on their vehicle. I find suspension work to be pretty straightforward, so I see some people choosing to do it themselves. As long as proper care is taken in reassembly, (and handling springs) the results are usually good.

OP
OP
RCKLNDR

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't pay for any work on any vehicle since I am a technician in a dealership. So I do understand the pride of accomplishment that goes with completing any work on a vehicle. But I realize that some people value their time enough to find it worthwhile to pay a shop to do work on their vehicle. I find suspension work to be pretty straightforward, so I see some people choosing to do it themselves. As long as proper care is taken in reassembly, (and handling springs) the results are usually good.
i absolutely get that sense of accomplishment as well.

The valuing time one is hard for me to grasp. My daughter does track, cheer, and gymnastics. My son does football, basketball, and flag football (which I coach the latter two). I never miss any activities, work 40+ hours, and can still easily fit in 6 hours to throw on a lift.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I remember putting a Rusty's Offroad 3" lift in my '96 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Took me all weekend to do it by myself in my driveway. Lost a 10mm socket inside the frame rail to boot. I could occasionally hear it roll back and forth if it was orientated the right way in there :LOL::LOL::LOL:

It was actually a lot of fun plus I did invent new curse words in the process and scandalized the neighbors 7 year old daughter (neighbor was not happy but understood).

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Lol, if you like and enjoy something do it. If you dont, pay someone. Money or how much you make an hr and vs paying someone to do should have nothing to do with it. People actually pay to do something because it makes them happy and to some they wouldnt do it even if you paid them to. JUST DO WHAT YOU ENJOY AND MAKES YOU HAPPY.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.