I Keep Hearing Water Sloshing Around In The Back Seat Area & Can't Find It

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/Max Tow
The back window of my hardtop leaks in multiple spots at the top of the window (have it scheduled to be fixed in a couple of weeks). And last week we got a TON of rain, with multiple flash flood warnings.

So now when I drive my Jeep I keep hearing water sloshing around in the back seat area, and I can't find the source of it...

You can see in this pic the water was dripping down here into that little storage compartment (this is the right side) -

Jeep Gladiator I Keep Hearing Water Sloshing Around In The Back Seat Area & Can't Find It 20200817_211554523_iOS

The compartment on the left side had a little water in it too, so I dried both of those.

There was no water in the rear under the seat storage bin, or the rear passenger floorboards.

Despite that, I still hear water sloshing around, and it's driving me nuts! :)

I do have the Alpine upgrade, so I'm concerned there could be water in the subwoofer compartment, but not sure how to open it up to check.

Any other ideas of things I should check?

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

wyodirt

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Secret stuff in secret locations
hmm, have you pulled up your carpet? could it be sloshing in the tub itself? check in a few places, there are a few hills and valleys that water could be puddled up. Likely a drain plug that can be pulled if this is the case.

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm, have you pulled up your carpet? could it be sloshing in the tub itself? check in a few places, there are a few hills and valleys that water could be puddled up. Likely a drain plug that can be pulled if this is the case.
@wyodirt - The carpet is totally dry at the passenger floorboards. I drove it around this morning and still hear the water moving around. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I popped open this cover and took a peek in there and didn't see any water-

Jeep Gladiator I Keep Hearing Water Sloshing Around In The Back Seat Area & Can't Find It 20200817_211554523_iOS

It just sounds like the water is in the back somewhere.

Hopefully someone who has had a similar issue with water in the back will see this and save the day. :)

My OCD kicks in when I hear that water sloshing around. :)

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem two weeks ago - a couple of rainy days preceded. Sounded like water sloshing around INSIDE the hardtop - it sound like a half filled gallon jug sloshing. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from - wish I had someone with me on the trip to listen as I drove. It went away after a couple of sunny days.

Last edited:

ExitLeft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I had the same problem two weeks ago - a couple of rainy days preceded. Sounded like water sloshing around INSIDE the hardtop - the sound a half filled gallon jug would make. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from - wish I had someone with me on the trip to listen as I drove. It went away after a couple of sunny days.
There's been some instances where the Freedom Panels have somehow gotten water in them. maybe take them off and give them a jiggle next time you hear the water

Sponsored

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same problem two weeks ago - a couple of rainy days preceded. Sounded like water sloshing around INSIDE the hardtop - it sound like a half filled gallon jug sloshing. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from - wish I had someone with me on the trip to listen as I drove. It went away after a couple of sunny days.
@robinja Hmmmm... never thought about water being in the hardtop itself. thanks for sharing!

Yea it's just been me with my 2 year old & 6 year old in the back while driving. They haven't been much help though in finding the water. I'll have to get my wife to drive with me in the back with them.

There's been some instances where the Freedom Panels have somehow gotten water in them. maybe take them off and give them a jiggle next time you hear the water
@ExitLeft - Great info, thank you! I'll try taking them off this afternoon to see there's water in them.

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FOUND THE WATER! :)

The water was trapped in the hardtop itself (in the area below the back window). The solution to getting rid of it was taking the hardtop off, and flipping it upside to let the water drain out.

Letting the hardtop sit upside down got most of the water out... but we did have to pick it up, and while holding it in the air we shook it around a bit and that seemed to get the remaining water out.

Hopefully that solution will help anyone else who has a leaky back window get the water out of the the hardtop.

Thanks so much for all the help, really appreciate it!!!

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know. Thanks for the info but I am still curious how the water got into the hardtop to begin with. Is it because of the back window issue?

Sponsored

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. Thanks for the info but I am still curious how the water got into the hardtop to begin with. Is it because of the back window issue?
@Shootist - When it rains, I've been getting water leaking in at the top of the back window in multiple places as seen here-

Jeep Gladiator I Keep Hearing Water Sloshing Around In The Back Seat Area & Can't Find It 20200821_171420614_iOS

We had a ton of rain so it dripped down and somehow found it's way inside the hard top below the window.

I have an appointment with the glass people at the dealership to fix it on Sept 1st. Evidently it's a common issue so you may want to keep an eye on yours when you get a hard downpour of rain...

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I will definitely be keeping an eye out for that. I havenā€™t noticed it so far but I also switched to the soft top for the summer season. Does it also leak like at a touch free car wash? I would like to maybe go check it out without having to wait for a hard rain.

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will definitely be keeping an eye out for that. I havenā€™t noticed it so far but I also switched to the soft top for the summer season. Does it also leak like at a touch free car wash? I would like to maybe go check it out without having to wait for a hard rain.
Honestly, not sure as far as the touch free car wash. I did take my Jeep through a touchless car wash a few times, but I hadn't noticed the leak at that point (but it very well could have been leaking).

Might be worth a try when the Jeep is dirty and you have the hardtop back on since they do spray it down pretty good.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The back window of my hardtop leaks...
Confirmed. I have the same issue with my JT. Back window leaking water and filling the void in the hardtop. Water eventually begins to leak from the hardtop mounting holes and into the cab. Going into shop tomorrow for repair.
Sponsored