Sponsored

I need to shoot/kill varmints, critters - seeking advice

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
We live in a rural area, but it's still zoned "residential", even though I'm surrounded by farms (mostly, anyway)
We have just one close neighbor, about 100 yards away.
Deer run and play in our yard, birds of every type come to feed, name a critter in the midwest and it's likely paid us a visit. We once even saw what my son and I swear was a bobcat (not the skid steer loader type).

But as the TV commercials might say - we have a coon problem. They've started visiting in the mid to later afternoon, before the sun is even low. They are tearing things up, ripping up young trees, crapping all over, even up next to the lower level windows we like to open for a cool spring breeze -only to smell the stench of coon poop. It's got my neighbor concerned that they are actually coming up to the house before 4 pm.

I've had to fill holes in the yard, redo landscaping where they have ripped the rocks out and dug through the landscape fabric,
They have hearing like a hawk - I used to see them just a few feet south of the house, come to the house, I'd sneak out the north door, being very quiet, but by the time I got around the house, they had heard me and were running off - until an hour or so later.
So I got the idea of leaving a couple of screens off the sun room, and when they come close, quietly open a window and gun barrel out the window, take my shot. Still didn't kill them but man, did they look surprised, confused, then took off like a rocket. So that isn't working well with this cheaper pellet gun.

In the past I've trapped them, then used my cheap pellet gun to kill them. However, killing a raccoon with a pellet gun, at least mine, isn't easy, and I prefer single shot kills.
And they are often too smart for traps, and get the food out or somehow escape if they do trip the trap. I have about 6 or 7 misses for every success, and they rip live traps to shreds! I mean they are STRONG.
I was looking into a more powerful pellet gun- air rifle. Not cheap, I was talking to my neighbor about my looking into a pellet gun that could kill critters like raccoons, and he suggested a 22 - rifle.
I started looking that direction, the costs aren't that far apart - pellet gun (air rifle) that can kill a raccoon, would be quiet, could be shot from inside our sun room and so on......
or a 22 rifle. That would be similar in cost, but a ton louder, likely not at all smart to aim out the window of a sun room to kill a raccoon coming up to the house.

My experience with rifles and shotguns is decades old. My parents insisted if I was to go hunting or even target practice with friends on their farms where we could openly shoot, I had to go to all the classes for safety and so on. That was over 40 years ago. I'm still a very good shot with a pellet gun or rifle, but haven't owned a gun for decades, and last shot in my late teens, other than my pellet guns for varmints.

Today as I was cleaning up the poo and fixing landscaping - again - up by the house and the windows to her sewing room, she said "why don't you go get a gun, and start trapping them, then kill and bury them like you used to - but get something that will kill with one shot"

So - looking for suggestions or ideas.
Trapping kind of works sometimes, at least then the next morning they can't run and I can deal with them..... would be nice to shoot right out the window of the sun room - but a 22 would negate that. I can't imagine that sound in a 12x14 room!
Last time they visited, a couple of evenings ago, there were 3 of them coming right up to the house, and I found a big hole next to a tree - they dug up the fertilizer spikes I'd driven into the ground.

Use CBs or shorts. They are half the volume of a nail gun used by a roofer. Accurate to about 30~50 yards.

that’s what took care of my squirrel problem.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I'm surprised nobody has suggested it... but bows are excellent in this kinda situation. A compound or traditional bow requires a fair amount of constant training, but crossbows are point and shoot. I find it a great upper body workout. I hate using weights.

We do urban archery around the city out here, and the guys don't/can't spend a lot of time practicing use crossbows. With a broadhead its a cleaner kill than a small guage rifle would be, crossbow arrows are crazy fast, and there is no sound.

You don't have to spend a fortune on ammo either.

I have a pink bow I practice with outside the house with all the time :P It's perfect since it looks non-threatening and my neighbors would be silly complaining about it.

Sponsored

calnca

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Pellet guns and even full power .22 is downright inhumane on a raccoon. I had a good friend trap one in her chicken coop, and needed 9 shots at close range with the 22 rifle, with the coon screaming the entire time. And no, dont even play the gender card. She's a badass with a gun and constantly trains with the best. She had her pick of guns, the local PD suggested the 22 so as not to scare the neighbors.
I'm afraid anything powerful enough to put them down in one shot is probably too much to use with neighbors so close. You also need to consult hunting laws in your area. They can be surprising convoluted, even in rural states. Probably your best bet is to trap them and drown them.
Here in NW Arkansas we have all the various critters. Coons aren't hard to put down with a .22.......a .22 even works with the prehistoric armadillos (thanks Texas)

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, of course you have to train it. Racoons hate dogs.
And raccoons will also attack them and do great harm if cornered. I've seen a dog yelp away needing vet care. (my former B-I-L's hunting dog)

I can't see how just having a dog will help.
Naw, trapping and gun more effective.
Remember, we have 5 cats - and I've never been the type that thought it was ok to have a dog then chain it up in the back yard all the time. Why have the dog?

It's also a lot more expensive and complex "solution" (while not really a solution unless you had 10 dogs here)

I'm surprised nobody has suggested it... but bows are excellent in this kinda situation. A compound or traditional bow requires a fair amount of constant training, but crossbows are point and shoot. I find it a great upper body workout. I hate using weights.

We do urban archery around the city out here, and the guys don't/can't spend a lot of time practicing use crossbows. With a broadhead its a cleaner kill than a small guage rifle would be, crossbow arrows are crazy fast, and there is no sound.

You don't have to spend a fortune on ammo either.

I have a pink bow I practice with outside the house with all the time :P It's perfect since it looks non-threatening and my neighbors would be silly complaining about it.
I've never used a crossbow - but as a teen I used to used just a basic bow and cheap arrows for bunny hunting.
I wasn't terrible, but not great, either.
I was far far better with a rifle. Some say having only one good working eye helped me there. When I farmed, I planted straighter rows than many of my neighbors (OCD may have had a role in that, too, though LOL)
I know I would have been better if I'd had any formal training with the bow - but no one around here used them except my family and we were "self taught" - not always a good thing. Learning from someone who knows their stuff would have been much better. But I was more into fast and loud cars than anything else back then. (and had the tickets to prove it)
The problem with a bow of any sort - not easy to open a window 3" and get a good shot - or, maybe it is??????? With a rifle of any sort, if you have room for the barrel through the open window, and can take aim, you have a chance.
But a few decent arrows could be recovered, cleaned up and used again.
Last night I find evidence they visited again, but after dark, and in areas where shooting would have been impractical even if I had seen them, so in any case, traps will need to be involved.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I guess it depends on your opening. Vertical or horizontal?

If you are opening the windows sideways, horizontal, you can shoot through that opening all day. Still, that’s way more of a problem with your traditional bow.

Modern crossbows are basically rifles. I have a rifle, but it hardly ever leaves the safe. At 2.50 a bullet, it brings as much stress as joy.

My bow gets used daily though.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Meh, if you are going to kill something it is incumbent on you to do so efficiently and humanely.Shot placement is key.

Subsonic .22L / LR will kill a coon handily if you shoot him in the grape. Body shots not so much.

If "hit the coon" is the best you can do expect some degree of drama, follow up shots and the feeling that you have failed to dispatch him in a manner that you should have.

I live in the woods and have all manner of critter in close proximity including coons,hogs,coyote,deer,etc. In the event I have to kill something (grudgingly) I error to the side of overkill.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Meh, if you are going to kill something it is incumbent on you to do so efficiently and humanely.Shot placement is key.

Subsonic .22L / LR will kill a coon handily if you shoot him in the grape. Body shots not so much.

If "hit the coon" is the best you can do expect some degree of drama, follow up shots and the feeling that you have failed to dispatch him in a manner that you should have.

I live in the woods and have all manner of critter in close proximity including coons,hogs,coyote,deer,etc. In the event I have to kill something (grudgingly) I error to the side of overkill.
Absolutely agree. I have even found myself apologizing to them.
Last night I had to "remove" a chipmunk - a few years ago they had literally undermined retaining walls and back under my shop, they had dug so much they removed enough fill from under the floor it cost me plenty to have a company come in and bring the concrete floor back up. They moved not only gravel in their digging, but the river rock I had put all around my shop building to discourage their digging. Didn't work - they played baseball with the rocks.
But the more than 10 grand to re-do a retaining wall was the final straw. I read and found that many others had things worse than that happen - one woman had to have her basement wall and floor repaired as they had undermined things so badly. When the crew came in to remove the old retaining walls here, it was like a big city in there - many rooms and hallways, tunnel, even pantries loaded with food. Even the crew doing the work was amazed. One year I took care of over 30 of the cute little critters. Hate to, they are cute, but they are very destructive. Anyway, another one today was found digging, or trying to, under the south end of the garage and I found fill from under the floor out onto the gravel drive back there.
The internet says there will only be something like 2 to 4 chipmunks per acre, can be as high as 10 if there's a lot of food and shelter. I have news for the internet - not even close.

On raccoons - the ones that visited last night need to eat more fiber. Sometimes you can pick the poo off the landscaping rock with a shovel - uh, not what they left last night, and the smell around the house, ugh. Come raspberry season, them and me are going to do more than have words.
Marshmallows, eh? Maybe I'll just make 'em some s'mores as their final meal.

I guess it depends on your opening. Vertical or horizontal?

If you are opening the windows sideways, horizontal, you can shoot through that opening all day. Still, that’s way more of a problem with your traditional bow.

Modern crossbows are basically rifles. I have a rifle, but it hardly ever leaves the safe. At 2.50 a bullet, it brings as much stress as joy.

My bow gets used daily though.
Vertical in that sun room. Actually, most of the windows are sliders, some are casement, but all have vertical openings when open. (except the big front walk-in bay window area, but I'd never ever shoot that direction, too close to the road and houses in range)

If I was younger and closer, I'd hire you for some lessons. I've always been fascinated with bows of all sorts. One of the oldest hunting tools in the world, and these days, crazy power and range in the right hands (and quiet) With the land around me, sometimes I just like to be outdoors, doing whatever, just out there in the quiet (ha, quiet - with the red-wing black birds, woodpeckers, the blue jays yelling like a hawk at me for being in their territory, hardly quiet. There's always sounds out here - that's what's cool about it (except the coyotes, they make me a bit nervous sometimes. I know they are close, I've seen their tracks)

okiebandit1

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator diesel Rubicon, 14 F350, BMW R1250 GS
Occupation
Farming
Vehicle Showcase
This is my varmint tool box
.410 judge for snakes, ruger 10/22 for rats to skunks, r15 in 223 for coyotes and Remington 870 for the two legged intruders.
Jeep Gladiator I need to shoot/kill varmints, critters - seeking advice A91B7BD3-66BC-4DAE-B618-C86B7F1B63F6

dawghauler

First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jt sport s max tow
Occupation
hvac
A 17 HMR will do it just fine

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is my varmint tool box
.410 judge for snakes, ruger 10/22 for rats to skunks, r15 in 223 for coyotes and Remington 870 for the two legged intruders.
Jeep Gladiator I need to shoot/kill varmints, critters - seeking advice A91B7BD3-66BC-4DAE-B618-C86B7F1B63F6
I'll remember never to intrude..........