First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
A couple weeks back I was conversing with the group here about lockers and my need/want to have some. Well I found some. Turns out I ran across a deal (I think) on some Rubicon take off axles. 19000 miles on the pair and 5000 miles on the 5.13 Spicer gears that are in them. These were built by Rubitrux so I'm confident they're built right. The guy I bought from already had new UD 60's when he acquired the Rubitrux JT so he sent it back for the axle swap. I ended up with the take offs. I will add some RCV axles and probably steel knuckles with teraflex ball joints. I've already bought 2 Spicer wiring kits. Now just need to find time for the swap.

20230129_114758.jpg

20230129_114827.jpg

20230129_114925.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I don't mind although I'm sure someone will let me know how bad I got screwed. I paid $5500 for the pair. It included both drive shafts and all 4 calipers.

Sponsored

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
Sounds like you're happy with the deal and that's what matters.
Besides, you're going to have a set of axles to sell that'll help offset the price you paid.

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT-Sport S, 2021 JT-Sport S
I highly recommend the Reid Racing steering knuckles and Dynatrac ball joints. Had these installed on my rig and they have held up. I would also consider trussing the axles with Artec truss axle armor while they are out, great score though.

The one thing you will have to consider when installing these as they are longer then your stock axles, unless you have the max tow group. So there will be a few different things needed for the front axle assembly.

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I highly recommend the Reid Racing steering knuckles and Dynatrac ball joints. Had these installed on my rig and they have held up. I would also consider trussing the axles with Artec truss axle armor while they are out, great score though.

The one thing you will have to consider when installing these as they are longer then your stock axles, unless you have the max tow group. So there will be a few different things needed for the front axle assembly.
I thought about that before I bought them (being longer) and can't think of anything that would be different. The drag link and tie rod are both adjustable and I already have an adjustable track bar. Unless you know something I can't think of, what else would I need to get to make it work. Should be a bolt in I believe.

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Sounds like you're happy with the deal and that's what matters.
Besides, you're going to have a set of axles to sell that'll help offset the price you paid.
Yes you are correct. One will only pay what is acceptable to that individual. And yes I'm ok with the price. I figured if I changed my current axles to be like these I would be in for around $4000. That's if I could even get the parts that are backordered for who knows how long.

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The tie rod is a different length for the Rubicon, Mojave, and Max Tow axles. That should be the only thing I do believe.

As you can see all these different companies make one specific for that axle length.

https://steersmarts.com/collections...angler-jl-jlu-2018-select-standard-or-rubicon

https://www.rpmsteering.com/25-Ton-JLJT-HD-2-Aluminum-Tie-Rod_p_467.html

https://doetschoffroad.com/products...5-aluminum-tie-rod-and-drag-link-steering-kit
Got it, thanks. I was considering new hardware anyway so this convinces me to do that. Lol
Sponsored