Not open for further replies.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
After months of deliberation and research, I think (as of now :)) that I'm not gonna get the JT at this point. In my opinion, it's too expensive for what you get. I also have concerns about what seem to be common Jeep trouble issues which would detract from the experience for me as well. Perhaps the advent of the Bronco may mix things up a bit in a couple of years.

In the meantime, I have my 4wheeler and a side by side for my wheeling urges. I want something fun that can tow. The JT comes close, but for me it's too over priced and glitchy. Had I not had to wait for Gator, I probably would have bought one by now. Waiting forced me to take a really close look. The JT is a great idea and I will likely have one in two or three years.

For now, my focus is shifting to a Durango SRT (possibly from Travis!). I'll still lurk to stay educated and to ogle the pics of Gator and Hydro.
Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
After months of deliberation and research, I think (as of now :)) that I'm not gonna get the JT at this point. In my opinion, it's too expensive for what you get. I also have concerns about what seem to be common Jeep trouble issues which would detract from the experience for me as well. Perhaps the advent of the Bronco may mix things up a bit in a couple of years.

In the meantime, I have my 4wheeler and a side by side for my wheeling urges. I want something fun that can tow. The JT comes close, but for me it's too over priced and glitchy. Had I not had to wait for Gator, I probably would have bought one by now. Waiting forced me to take a really close look. The JT is a great idea and I will likely have one in two or three years.

For now, my focus is shifting to a Durango SRT (possibly from Travis!). I'll still lurk to stay educated and to ogle the pics of Gator and Hydro.
You are not alone. Might be a wise decision for you. Whatever works best for you is what's best for you.

I am still not 100% confident in what Jeep has to offer with the price and potential irritating issues with the Gladiator and the 3.6 and potential nightmare issues with the 3.0 diesel. I'm kinda waiting to see what the GMC AT4 Canyon comes out with shortly. I might drive the hell out of that for a couple years while Jeep gets their shit together.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Good luck with your Durango.

I'll be enjoying driving and modding my Gator JT. Glitch free thus far and not superstitious to put that in writing. The JK before it was rock solid. In the price department, 7% under invoice thanks to the info on this forum got me making the leap.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck with your Durango.

I'll be enjoying driving and modding my Gator JT. Glitch free thus far and not superstitious to put that in writing. The JK before it was rock solid. In the price department, 7% under invoice thanks to the info on this forum got me making the leap.
The only "annoyances" with mine aren't necessarily Jeep's fault and are minor. In fact I think one is gone already. That leaves the tonneau cover sag and water pooling.
Come to think of it, a couple of other really minor things are likely more me than the vehicle - getting used to it and the little differences.

I understand the JT isn't for everyone, and I had to get around some things - but not quality, at least not so far.
We've had Jeeps for decades and no real issues with any of them. Granted they were not "solid axle Jeeps" but still Jeep products, Jeep engines and drive-train. No issues - anything we had happen was a simple one-day warranty thing. Mostly cosmetic and resolved with great ease.
Unless I find serious trouble with THIS Jeep, our next trade will be back to another Jeep.
Never had a Jeep engine issue, never had any Jeep drive-train issues, ever. And I can say that going back to 1987 when I first started buying Jeep vehicles.

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
I just wish I had more money to support my new addiction. Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness didn't have a Gladiator.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
When i bought my JT (only talking about my newer trucks) i had a 2018 Ford Raptor, 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro, 2017 MB 4x4 Sprinter Van and a 2019 F-250 4x4. For me the JT is the most enjoyable and fun to drive, each of the above mentioned trucks have their good points and bad points. The Raptor had two recalls in the first year, and the sun roof stuck in the open position requiring the complete sun roof needing to be replaced, that took a month, the Tacoma head cracked after 800 miles and the ECU failed after one year, the MB has been bullet proof but the electronics were outdated i had better in the 80`s, the F-250 has had two recalls one for the tranny and one for the door locks. Knock on wood the JT has been nothing but fun and carefree.

I understand the OP`s position if it does`t feel right it`s not right for him and i wish him luck.

dingy22

First Name
Aj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator L.E billet silver
The only "annoyances" with mine aren't necessarily Jeep's fault and are minor. In fact I think one is gone already. That leaves the tonneau cover sag and water pooling.
Come to think of it, a couple of other really minor things are likely more me than the vehicle - getting used to it and the little differences.

I understand the JT isn't for everyone, and I had to get around some things - but not quality, at least not so far.
We've had Jeeps for decades and no real issues with any of them. Granted they were not "solid axle Jeeps" but still Jeep products, Jeep engines and drive-train. No issues - anything we had happen was a simple one-day warranty thing. Mostly cosmetic and resolved with great ease.
Unless I find serious trouble with THIS Jeep, our next trade will be back to another Jeep.
Never had a Jeep engine issue, never had any Jeep drive-train issues, ever. And I can say that going back to 1987 when I first started buying Jeep vehicles.

Glad I’m not the only one that the sag in the bed cover with the water pooling annoys! Minor annoyance but still love everything about the truck and I traded a ram 2500 w 6.4 hemi for it.

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
My JT is AWESOME! Can't wait for good weather to take the top off. I could not be happier with my purchase... well, if I got it for free but that was not going to happen - so it's all :):):) for me

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I can understand your reservations, but with the deals that can be made on these, I don’t think price should necessarily be one. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a chunk of change. But I got my Rubicon for less than the Tacoma counterpart and it has more functionality for me. A big sell point was the rear seat room. It’s the only midsize truck that is basically an SUV with a bed. Can do baby hauling, Home Depot hauling, and get beyond any campsite I’m trying to get to. Having functionality, practicality, and fun factor rolled all into one is cheaper than me buying, insuring, and maintaining multiple vehicles. My couple of issues were first visit fixes at the dealer.

But I guess I gotta stand up for the big guy. I’m still stoked to have it and I don’t think that we’ll ever sell it.

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had decided on the Rubicon to best suit my needs/wants. Was waiting on Gator release. In that time, Jeep raised the price of the Rubicon by $2550 by forcing options that many of you didn't have to take prior. Plus a few other raises here and there.

It's frustrating, but maybe if I wait Jeep will offer a V8 in it. Or maybe Ford will offer an open air full sized Bronco. Or the regular Bronco will tow 6-7 K. Or the JT pricing will come down substantially. None of which will happen, likely.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Gladiator is only too expensive for people that don't know what they're doing. Otherwise it doesn't really cost anymore than the Tacoma or Ranger and you get way more truck and experience for that dollar.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE

The JT is expensive for sure but a Durango SRT is not cheap and over 60K.

Here's what I will say about my experience with the JTLE. Its a jack of all trades. The versatility is incredible compared to any other vehicle. And I don't think there is a competitor who does this better than JEEP. Having this type of vehicle often means there will be sacrifices but gladly acceptable because the payoff is so much greater

I don't know what 'common jeep troubles' you speak of. Had mine 6 months and everything all good (knock on wood).

You make the best decision for yourself. Again compared to an SRT you aren't saving much (MSRP). Any vehicle will have issues, issues can be fixed! I hope you find something more suitable for you, no matter what that is. Personally, Im glad the JTLE is the route I went and would do it over again given the chance. Best of luck.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
I had decided on the Rubicon to best suit my needs/wants. Was waiting on Gator release. In that time, Jeep raised the price of the Rubicon by $2550 by forcing options that many of you didn't have to take prior. Plus a few other raises here and there.
Which options did they force onto you that jacked the price? Was this primarily due to how they packaged options when you did a build?

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some good points. It isn't that I can't afford the JT. For me, there isn't enough value for dollar. Yeah, the SRT costs more but I feel like it's more worth the money. At some point I hope to have both! And with mods (bumper, winch, bedliner, tonneau cover, hotheads liners, etc) I'm approaching DDSRT $ anyway.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.