I want to trade my F150 for a Gladiator

s1000pre

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara, 2019 F150 Limited
I am a driver of a 2019 F150 Limited 450hp/515ft.lb. 3.55 rear axle. My wife drives a 2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, which I love to drive. I would do anything to replace my F150 with a Gladiator.
Specs: From what I can find online, the Gladiator's curb weight exceeds the F150's. My Limited has a useful payload of 1,280lbs, and a gladiator sport is 1,600. Gladiator has a 3.6 liter, F150 has 3.5 liter H.O. Ecoboost.
Dilemma, I tow a 6,600lb. Airstream, 7,700 lbs. fully loaded. I can see the obvious issue being power. My thought would be to add a Hamburger supercharger to the Gladiator. Other than the F150 having two more gears and more girth. The supercharger makes both vehicles somewhat comparable. I would also consider upgrading the Gladiator's brakes if necessary. Upgrading the seats to something more comfortable will be required as well.
I have already purchased a Hensley Arrow hitch for my F150. For those of you who are not familiar, a Hensley eliminates the pivot point of the hitch ball. It makes it impossible for the trailer to manipulate the tow vehicle.
I average 6,000 miles towing.
Is the F150 beefier? Frame, drivetrain, rear end, axles, etc?
Does this sound like an impossibility?
I'm trying to compare the two online and came across an episode of TFL. It was a tug of war with the Gladiator v.s. F250. What are they thinking? Could they not get their hands on an F150. I would like to see that comparison.
Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
7700 is slightly above the max tow spec for the Gladiator. The supercharger won't change the rating and technically counts against you since it adds weight.

OP
OP

s1000pre

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara, 2019 F150 Limited
Thanks for the reply. I spoke with a local Jeep technician who works at a dealer nearby who everyone considers the Jeep guru. He unfortunately gave me the bad news as well. He is the same tech who recommended the Tazer for my wifeā€™s JLU. Though not a fan of supercharging. He has three friends who are all on their second engine due to supercharging. Jeeps 3.6 doesnā€™t like boosting. Anyway, really bummed. The F150 isnā€™t a bad truck. Itā€™s comfortable, just not cool. He obviously also confirmed that I would be way over on the towing capacity.

Sponsored

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Even if you got the power plant you needed in the JT, youā€™re not going to like towing that much weight with it.

I know itā€™s not the same, but I towed the same pop up camper with my F-150 (3.5 EcoBoom) and JT, which is around 1/2 of yours. With the F150 you donā€™t realize itā€™s even back there- acceleration, braking, and cornering are damn near unchanged, you just notice the third axle when you hit a bump.

With the JT, youā€™re constantly reminded that itā€™s back there. You feel the tongue weight when you hit small divots in the road, brakes working harder, and the sluggishness of the engine under load. Nothing abnormal, just a comparison of a vehicle built to tow closer to 10k lbs vs 6k (in my case).

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Are you crazy? Why would ever trade a F150 on anything else and... oh wait I am back on the Gladiator Forum
"Never Mind..."
Jeep Gladiator I want to trade my F150 for a Gladiator 1627085318351

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
No one wants to suggest the yes/and solution? Buy a beater F150 for your 6k a year towing and a glady for everything else. Gladys are really good buys. Mine is worth more than what I paid almost 2 years ago. Sure, that won't last past '23 but I'll still do well.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
No one wants to suggest the yes/and solution? Buy a beater F150 for your 6k a year towing and a glady for everything else. Gladys are really good buys. Mine is worth more than what I paid almost 2 years ago. Sure, that won't last past '23 but I'll still do well.
That's what my bil did... but his beater F150 took a deuce on him 2 months after buying it. He already had to put new tires on the 20s... which was no small expense because of the "tire shortage."

Either it's a new engine or ~$3000 to fix a 160k engine.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
20s? That should have been the first clue not to buy it. The first rule of buying beater vehicles is that the wheels and tires should cost less than the beater.

Sponsored

BBALL999

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Ford F250 Tremor
Occupation
Retired

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
I am a driver of a 2019 F150 Limited 450hp/515ft.lb. 3.55 rear axle. My wife drives a 2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, which I love to drive. I would do anything to replace my F150 with a Gladiator.
Specs: From what I can find online, the Gladiator's curb weight exceeds the F150's. My Limited has a useful payload of 1,280lbs, and a gladiator sport is 1,600. Gladiator has a 3.6 liter, F150 has 3.5 liter H.O. Ecoboost.
Dilemma, I tow a 6,600lb. Airstream, 7,700 lbs. fully loaded. I can see the obvious issue being power. My thought would be to add a Hamburger supercharger to the Gladiator. Other than the F150 having two more gears and more girth. The supercharger makes both vehicles somewhat comparable. I would also consider upgrading the Gladiator's brakes if necessary. Upgrading the seats to something more comfortable will be required as well.
I have already purchased a Hensley Arrow hitch for my F150. For those of you who are not familiar, a Hensley eliminates the pivot point of the hitch ball. It makes it impossible for the trailer to manipulate the tow vehicle.
I average 6,000 miles towing.
Is the F150 beefier? Frame, drivetrain, rear end, axles, etc?
Does this sound like an impossibility?
I'm trying to compare the two online and came across an episode of TFL. It was a tug of war with the Gladiator v.s. F250. What are they thinking? Could they not get their hands on an F150. I would like to see that comparison.
With the crazy trade in values lately, this would be the time to make your dreams come true on the cheap!

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
My max tow has a towing capacity just under 7700. Iā€™m sure you could get close to that.

Thatā€™s not going to be your issue tho ā€¦. Itā€™s your payload. That trailer likely has a tongue weight of about 800-900 lbs if not more. From what I remember airstreams are tongue heavy. Add WDH, driver your already at 1200 lbs, with only 400 to spare for other passengers and all cargo.

edit: you have a Hensley hitchā€¦ those are heavy, my dad has one. Iā€™m guessing 200-250 lbs easy?

You could do what I doā€¦ drive two cars. I pack the wife, kids, dogs and half the cargo in the SUV (you would have barely any payload for cargo), but it works.

Last edited:

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Oof, I would love to tell you that you should leap for the Gladiator because these things are AWESOMEā€¦.but with what you tow on a relatively regular basis, I would imagine you should stay with a 1/2 ton truck.

Someone else mentioned buying a beater F-150 for towing and the Gladiator for fun. I say do that. Or even furthermore, if you just love love love the Gladiator that much, then trade your heavy Airstream for a lighter one.

All that being said, if you live in a super flat place like Florida, Southeast Texas, Louisiana, etc, you could probably get by with the Max Tow Gladiator. However, a place like West Virginia, Colorado, California, etcā€¦.forget it.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I placed a factory order for an F250 Tremor in Feb....
it arrived 4 weeks later...great Truck

I sold my Polaris turbo s 1000 last week and decided
to replace it with Jeep Gladiator.

I placed a factory order last Monday for a
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon...

5D2667D5-766B-417A-8303-FCF6DD2C72E4_1_201_a.jpeg
Those Tremor package 250s are somethin serious. Thatā€™s my dream retirement truck (Iā€™m 26 unfortunately šŸ˜‚).

Edit: And I say ā€œunfortunatelyā€ because these cool trucks probably wonā€™t be around anymore when I retire.
Sponsored