First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
There may already be a thread about this, but I was unable to find it if it does exist.

I‘d love for this thread to become a place for us to share mod ideas for the budget conscious JT owner.

After purchasing a nearly $60k vehicle, I am attempting to make my JTM unique by doing certain modifications without breaking the bank. I haven’t done anything too crazy, but I’m happy with what I’ve been able to do and happy with the amount of money I’ve saved in the process.

Here is what I’ve been able to do so far:

Sunrider for hard-top by Bestop: The black twill top sells for $849. I really wanted to find a way to get one of these because I think they’re amazing, but it was just too pricey. I found an eBay auction for a brand new black twill top (without mounting hardware) for $350. I contacted Bestop to see if I could purchase just the mounting hardware. I was able to order everything I needed for around $150. So I was able to get an $850 Sunrider top for $500 and I absolutely LOVE IT!

Grab Handles: I’m honestly surprised that a Jeep vehicle comes without these. I found several nice options, but didn’t want to spend a lot of money on them. So I picked up $18 worth of paracord and braided my own. They work great And the colors match the orange Mojave accents perfectly! I’ve even made a few sets for other forum members. If you’re interested in a set, click this link. That thread contains all the info you’ll need.

Jeep Gladiator IDEA THREAD: Mods on a tight budget 7C83A9E5-3797-43B7-A086-A725297A63CF

Satin Black Grille: I love the look of the black grilles. The Mopar Satin Black Grille sells for $370 on Quadratec. I kept seeing take-off JL grilles for sale locally. After verifying that they do indeed fit on the JT, I snagged a white one for $75. I tried my hand at PlastiDip. It was much easier than expected. I picked up 5 cans for about $25. I could not be happier with the end result. Not bad for a $100 mod!

Jeep Gladiator IDEA THREAD: Mods on a tight budget B73B6363-9AAF-4FB3-9A00-8C16AA962CBC

Tent: I am really anxious to use my vehicle for overlanding. I can’t really swing $1500+ for a bed rack and an additional $2000+ for a rooftop tent right now. I saw the Rightline bed tent on Quadtratec for $190. I figured maybe that would be the way to go for the time being. While in REI one day, I saw the exact tent in their garage sale section of the store. It had been returned due to a faulty zipper. Only used once and they were selling it for $75. SOLD! I ordered some high quality zipper pulls for less than $10 and replaced them. Now everything works as it should. Bonus... the orange on the tent matches the Mojave orange! And with the money I saved, I plan to pick up the AirBedz inflatable truck bed air mattress for $250. I’ll be trying out my $335 setup in a couple weeks.

Jeep Gladiator IDEA THREAD: Mods on a tight budget 27A72F0F-386E-45A7-BCD3-5F9C6B8C8E02

Additional tent: I found the Rightline SUV tent on a local marketplace. Same brand as my bed tent The seller had purchased it new last year and had never even used it. It retails for $300. I bought it for $100. I got it in hopes that the two tents could work together. They definitely do! It provides a lot more space and a good private space to stand up. Best part, it can be used as a standalone tent too.

Jeep Gladiator IDEA THREAD: Mods on a tight budget 5CCCE02B-EE6B-495C-820A-23CF8EB19011

Jeep Gladiator IDEA THREAD: Mods on a tight budget E65A79FE-67A1-419A-A3F7-DC6302207700

Bumpers: I recently got a smoking deal on both a front and rear JT Rubicon steel bumper. I paid $500 for both bumpers.

We ended up putting the rear bumper on my Mojave. The parts I needed for the park sensors were a major pain to track down, but we finally got it installed and it looks and works great!

Jeep Gladiator IDEA THREAD: Mods on a tight budget 93E653F6-01CC-40E4-BFA1-C744219E9017

As for the front bumper... While I do like the look and functionality of the OEM steel bumper, I really wanted to go with something after market. I put it up for sale on a local classifieds page and ended up selling it for $675.

I chose to go with the Rugged Ridge HD Full Width front bumper and the timing could not have been better. Quadratec had 10% off all Rugged Ridge items and they were offering a $100 prepaid MasterCard with the purchase of any Rugged Ridge bumper. So, all said and done... I got a $550 Rugged Ridge HD bumper for $400 (if you include the $100 MasterCard) and the $175 X-Striker winch guard for $160, as well as a free OEM steel rear bumper. All for a total of $560.

Jeep Gladiator IDEA THREAD: Mods on a tight budget 4C2EFAE1-6D1A-49BC-9C5C-8BCC23EA1347

Jeep Gladiator IDEA THREAD: Mods on a tight budget D0A91222-5011-4953-8B8B-2FCC2064A1D2

Winch: My new bumper has a gaping hole in it, just begging for a winch. I’ve researched a lot of different brands and frankly, I can’t afford most of them. The Badland Apex 12,000lb winch from Harbor Freight has received some great reviews. Most of those reviews claim it’s the biggest bang for your buck. I know HF has really good sales every so often. Starting today 4/9 and going until Sunday 4/11, they are having their Spring Black Friday Sale. The Badland Apex winch is marked down $100. In addition, if you open a HF credit card account, you get an additional 10% off of your entire purchase (no exclusions). So I applied for the card and got a $599 winch for $450! I just installed it and I am stoked!

Jeep Gladiator IDEA THREAD: Mods on a tight budget 4EF20146-7E89-4F5A-8C2C-E4AD84FC2D4E

More to come!

What ways have you saved some money on your modifications? Please share!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
i too have a JTM, about the same price point as yours. my budget mods are as follows
Bartac grab handles
Rok Blokz front mudflaps
LOD front and rear bumperS
Warn EVO 10s winch
AluCab canopy camper
AluCab awning
Expedition Essentials stove
and a bunch of other crap

Sorry, not such a tight budget.

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
i too have a JTM, about the same price point as yours. my budget mods are as follows
Bartac grab handles
Rok Blokz front mudflaps
Warn EVO 10s winch
AluCab canopy camper
AluCab awning

Asks for budget mods
:immediately posts 10k worth of gear: 😂😂😂

The centerak mount that goes next to the seat is about 50$ shipped and fits perfect. Mounted my trailer brake to it and didn’t have to drill anything. Still have room to mount something else on it too if needed.

Got a ronin stubby antenna for 40$ and got rid of the janky factory one that slaps the windshield on the highway. Lol.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Asks for budget mods

The centerak mount that goes next to the seat is about 50$ shipped and fits perfect. Mounted my trailer brake to it and didn’t have to drill anything. Still have room to mount something else on it too if needed.

Got a ronin stubby antenna for 40$ and got rid of the janky factory one that slaps the windshield on the highway. Lol.
That poor guy...
I got a Mopar tri-fold hard tonneau off Craigslist for $250!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Asks for budget mods

Obviously said sarcastically after one too many glasses of wine. But tight budget mods after buying a $60k vehicle is an odd post, you must admit.
(My canopy camper hopefully gets installed next week).

Sponsored

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Obviously said sarcastically after one too many glasses of wine. But tight budget mods after buying a $60k vehicle is an odd post, you must admit.
(My canopy camper hopefully gets installed next week).
Of course. No harm. Just made me LOL. Would love a alucab. I went with the fab fours rack for now. Not a budget mod either with the decked drawers. Lol

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I'm doing similar.
Trying to do things in stages. So right now just small things. Got the bed lined, just got bulletproof phone mount. Will probably do door sill protection next (but it's really cold, not sure if that is the best time to install). I've got some lights laying around so I may do a switch setup soon and install those since I paid for them already. Seat covers would be nice... on and on it goes lol

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Of course. No harm. Just made me LOL. Would love a alucab. I went with the fab fours rack for now. Not a budget mod either with the decked drawers. Lol
i went with the AluCab because my wife refuses to climb a ladder at 2am to pee.
Decked drawers are nice, I wish something like that would word with the AluCab. We looked at Goose Gear but are not sure it gives us what we want.

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
i went with the AluCab because my wife refuses to climb a ladder at 2am to pee.
Decked drawers are nice, I wish something like that would word with the AluCab. We looked at Goose Gear but are not sure it gives us what we want.
Same reason I had a 3500 dually and a fifth wheel. Wife wasn’t going anywhere without her own bed and bathroom. Plus if I was taking the rzr she wanted somewhere a/c or heated while I’m running about haha. We all compromise a little..... 😅😅

OP
OP
darksidedesign

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
We all compromise a little..... 😅😅
Which is the exact reason I’m doing mods on a smaller budget. This is NOT my first Jeep, but my wife has never owned one. She struggles to spend large amounts of money on Jeep mods. Her reasoning is “Why pay to replace something that works just fine?” So I am attempting to spend less on some modifications. She’s much more willing to agree to it, if it’s not terribly expensive. I have a hard time believing I’m the only one attempting to do this.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Which is the exact reason I’m doing mods on a smaller budget. This isn’t my first Jeep, but she’s never owned one. Her reasoning is “Why pay to replace something that works just fine?” So I am attempting to spend less on some modifications. She’s much more willing to agree to it, if it’s not terribly expensive. I have a hard time believing I’m the only one attempting to do this.
I get it, I really do. My wife loves to camp and go places. She is generally frugal but when we decided to buy the Jeep and outfit it for overlanding, we decided to do it right. It was her idea to get the AluCab canopy camper and awning just to make our trips more enjoyable.
It helps that we are in our 50s and do not have kids.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Love it. Nothing wrong with saving money on mods so you can get more mods for the same dollar.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff

satfico

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Bartac grab handles
Rok Blokz front mudflaps
Warn EVO 10s winch
AluCab canopy camper
AluCab awning

How do you like the Warn EVO winch?

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
How do you like the Warn EVO winch?
I installed it last week so no chance to use it yet. We are going to wheel this weekend and I am going to test it out to ensure everything is good before I actually need to use it.
Sponsored