Sponsored

If I cancel Sirius, what (besides music) will be affected?

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I've got a question that I just can't find a definitive answer to, so I figured I'll toss it out to the experts here. If I cancel Sirius radio in my Gladiator, what (besides music) will be affected? Does Sirius provide the basis for my navigation, weather, POI etc, or is that imbedded in the vehicle radio? I talked to Sirius radio this morning and they have absolutely no clue what services they're connected to, and neither does the dealer I talked to. If this is obvious, forgive the question, but I need to know before I make a move to cancel.
Sponsored

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Music is separate from services. I dropped the services piece (never use it) and kept the xm music. Nothing important dropped.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
If you have any of the Sirius XM Travelink stuff, just be careful. All Jeeps come with 60 months (yes, 5 years) of Travelink for free. This give you weather, traffic on the nav, sports scores, gas prices, etc.

Twice now, once with my 2018 JL and again with my 2022 JT, when I called to "not" renew my music package, they also canceled my Travelink. A few phone calls with supervisors in both cases got it added back but it was a pain in my @ss.

Do I use them enough to really worry about it? No... especially with Android Auto and all the nav/weather/gas apps already on there - but for me it was the principal of it! They gave me 5 years, dammit and I wanted them back.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My wife had the same issue as OHJeeper on her Ford Edge ST. Called to cancel music and lost everything. She gave up talking to Sirius after numerous tries; just wasn't worth her effort. So the answer to the OPs question would technically be "Just cancel the music, and everything else will be OK." In the real world, I don't believe Sirius has any properly trained tech people in customer service and you'll likely lose everything and then have to jump through hoops to get Travelink back.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
If you have any of the Sirius XM Travelink stuff, just be careful. All Jeeps come with 60 months (yes, 5 years) of Travelink for free. This give you weather, traffic on the nav, sports scores, gas prices, etc.

Twice now, once with my 2018 JL and again with my 2022 JT, when I called to "not" renew my music package, they also canceled my Travelink. A few phone calls with supervisors in both cases got it added back but it was a pain in my @ss.

Do I use them enough to really worry about it? No... especially with Android Auto and all the nav/weather/gas apps already on there - but for me it was the principal of it! They gave me 5 years, dammit and I wanted them back.
I dont care for the Music/Radio, but I really like the travel link.
Guardian was "neat" but NOT worth the money to me.

I run with the roof open as much as possible and having the radar view on the screen is great.
Haven't figured out how to get anything close to that on Android Auto.

Find the fuel cost and regular weather info on travel link pretty useful and easy to use too.
I cant figure out how to bring up gas buddy or similar on Android Auto either.

If I didn't KNOW where the storms really were, I would have closed up the roof based on how it looked outside.
Jeep Gladiator If I cancel Sirius, what (besides music) will be affected? 20220808_113506

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I let mine lapse, I never used the XM radio and although the connected services for remote lock/unlock were nice to have... I rarely used them. Really, it probably just depends on how much you like them to begin with.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I let mine lapse, I never used the XM radio and although the connected services for remote lock/unlock were nice to have... I rarely used them. Really, it probably just depends on how much you like them to begin with.
Those services are completely separate from SiriusXM. That's Guardian (which is a Sirius product) but not part of the Travelink services.

I also let my Guardian lapse... it's stupid expensive for the lock/unlock that I only use a handful of times a year.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
If I cancel Sirius radio in my Gladiator, what (besides music) will be affected? Does Sirius provide the basis for my navigation, weather, POI etc, or is that imbedded in the vehicle radio?
Those services are completely separate from SiriusXM. That's Guardian (which is a Sirius product) but not part of the Travelink services.
So when OP asks about what services will turn off from Sirius if you let it lapse, I'm wrong?

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
So when OP asks about what services will turn off from Sirius if you let it lapse, I'm wrong?
sort of, but not 🤪 There are 3 services from Sirius that we all got when we bought our JT's:

SiriusXM "music" - 6 month trial

SiriusXM Travel Link - 60 month trial

Sirius XM Guardian - 12 month trial

Guardian is contracted separately from the Music/Travel Link services, so its expiration/lapse has nothing to do with the others. It doesn't even appear on your Sirius account with the music/travel stuff. This is the remote lock/unlock/start/theft alert stuff

Music requires that you put down a credit card in order to activate it if you want to use the App to stream. Once you put in a credit card, it will auto-renew - there is no "lapse", you have to call and cancel.

When I called to cancel my music so it would not auto renew at month 7, they also canceled the remainder of my 60-month travel link, which I did not want them to do - they fixed that.

I don't even know if you can do this - but if you never gave SiriusXM a credit card and activated your service officially, then I have no idea what happens when the 6 months is over for the Music trial. Has anyone gone this route?

EDIT: and to be clear, the OP didn't ask about lapsing, he asked about canceling, so I assume he has an active subscription. I could be wrong.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
sort of, but not 🤪 There are 3 services from Sirius that we all got when we bought our JT's:

SiriusXM "music" - 6 month trial

SiriusXM Travel Link - 60 month trial

Sirius XM Guardian - 12 month trial

Guardian is contracted separately from the Music/Travel Link services, so its expiration/lapse has nothing to do with the others. It doesn't even appear on your Sirius account with the music/travel stuff. This is the remote lock/unlock/start/theft alert stuff

Music requires that you put down a credit card in order to activate it if you want to use the App to stream. Once you put in a credit card, it will auto-renew - there is no "lapse", you have to call and cancel.

When I called to cancel my music so it would not auto renew at month 7, they also canceled the remainder of my 60-month travel link, which I did not want them to do - they fixed that.

I don't even know if you can do this - but if you never gave SiriusXM a credit card and activated your service officially, then I have no idea what happens when the 6 months is over for the Music trial. Has anyone gone this route?

EDIT: and to be clear, the OP didn't ask about lapsing, he asked about canceling, so I assume he has an active subscription. I could be wrong.
If Jeep dealerships hired Jeep people to sell Jeeps, they would sell a lot more lol

First I've actually seen someone break this down.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If you setup a SiriusXM account for music, it is easy to manage online. I handle it all online, go through the music cancel process, and get offered a discount price to renew.

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd.
I didn't know I had Travelink - haven't seen any info on it with my paperwork or e-mails. Not interested in it anyway. I let the Guardian lapse. It would be nice to have in an emergency but the monthly cost would be all I would be willing to pay for a year.

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
The only loss I noticed was I could no longer access my periodic Jeep health update reports via sirius. But I can get those same reports through the Jeep app on my phone.

Mojave Nunzio

First Name
Nunzio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Control Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So in other words if all the trials expire and I do not renew anything will the nav system still work as usual?
Sponsored