I'm going to do something different to my Gladiator

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 JLUR, 1997 Wrangler Sport
Keep my 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon in stock form for now... First off let me say there are a lot of amazing Gladiators being transformed by members here on this forum. I joined the forum to learn about the experience other JT owners are having. I am seeing new products being offered almost daily. I enjoy watching JT builds going on that will turn heads everywhere. I see very pleased and proud Gladiator owners converting the JT to meet their individual needs and wants.

I am excited for what the aftermarket will be offering in the next few years. By then parts offered today will be proven to either be good or bad. Such as JT specific rear bumpers, steering components, suspension, and other enhancements for the Gladiator truck bed.

A lot of parts like wheels, tires, and winches are already proven and have worked on many rigs, so there is no need to wait on that. But as for suspension and steering it will only get better as these Gladiators are put through the paces.

I am cautious when new products hit the market. I like to see long term use, how well a products finish holds up against corrosion. Living in Ohio the salt and brine have destroyed many product finishes in the past. I have purchased so many parts for Jeep over the years just to find some items fall apart or the finish fell off within a year. I do know Fuel Vaper wheels do well in Ohio and the finish holds up great.

As for now I am going to drive the Gladiator and use it like a truck. Take it camping, tow my other Jeeps, and try not to get stuck when off road. I’m going to let the JT talk to me some. That way we will learn together so when its time to upgrade, we do it right the first time.

I will continue following the Forum learning about the good and bad, new products, future trips, meeting new people, making friends, and periodically posting humor to break the mood when needed. We should laugh more and enjoy life. I know at times we get lost in the live, eat, sleep jeep life. At times we become fixated or experience tunnel vision finding the next upgrade. But in the end, there are many other Jeep owners driving with big happy smiles besides me. Respect = We are Jeep!
Sponsored

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I think a lot of us are on the same vibe.

IMO suspension is simple, nothing is drastically different on the JTs, and so as long as the lift kit is of a quality brand, more importantly tried and true materials, then I would pull that trigger with no doubts. Not much is going to change in suspension fundementals. However maybe a new material or finish comes out in time; the R&D is something to dig into at least.

Don't be shy to get mods like skid plates, step bars, or grab handles. Ya know the basics that are meant to be worn and facilitate the important things. And if you stay lower to the ground and yet want to try some rocks, then consider a skid plate for sure.

Keep it safe, practical. You dont want your gladiator skipping along only to fine it yelling at you one day cause you did something it wasnt ready for.

And lastly, technology is always advancing. You may wait a year for some specific upgrade but in due time there will always be a better shinier piece of equipment. Consider products that are exhibiting at SEMA. A lot of them are only being released this winter or in spring so theyre developed and ready.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a great vehicle to enjoy however you choose to do it.

And there’s always :time: to mod it and make it unique-er

OP
OP
Sx3

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think a lot of us are on the same vibe.

IMO suspension is simple, nothing is drastically different on the JTs, and so as long as the lift kit is of a quality brand, more importantly tried and true materials, then I would pull that trigger with no doubts. Not much is going to change in suspension fundementals. However maybe a new material or finish comes out in time; the R&D is something to dig into at least.

Don't be shy to get mods like skid plates, step bars, or grab handles. Ya know the basics that are meant to be worn and facilitate the important things. And if you stay lower to the ground and yet want to try some rocks, then consider a skid plate for sure.

Keep it safe, practical. You dont want your gladiator skipping along only to fine it yelling at you one day cause you did something it wasnt ready for.

And lastly, technology is always advancing. You may wait a year for some specific upgrade but in due time there will always be a better shinier piece of equipment. Consider products that are exhibiting at SEMA. A lot of them are only being released this winter or in spring so theyre developed and ready.
That right there could not have been said any better. Very good points.

Funny thing happened today, I thought I would check Poison Spyder just to peek at JT Bumpers. They didn't have much yet to offer. I thought they offered bumpers that were unfinished? Maybe that was during my TJ build sometime ago. The 2 front bumpers they offered for the JT were already finished in some Spyder coating.

My intent is to match paint bumpers to the color of Gladiator. I'm sure they could be painted over the coating. I didn't see any rear bumber offerings from Poison Spyder yet.

One cool thing I did see from Spyder was the vents that replace the plastic wannabes on my Rubicon Hood.

When I decide on front and rear bumpers, I will send them off to paint. I do want winch mount inside front bumper and would prefer unfinished.

Maybe I should start checking local for powder coating. I never had it done before. I'm sure powder coating is durable.

Thank you for your reply

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I figure there is enough work to do to get the truck ready for off-roading first, so, I also plan to leave mine "stockish". I just finished my front bumper, off-road lights, CB, Line-X hard folding tonneau cover, and outfitting my bed with molle panels for day wheeling.
But, after wheeling it a half dozen times in various terrain, because of the longer wheel base, and after these mud-terrains wear out, I am considering putting a lift on it and going with 285/75/17 tires on the upgraded Rubicon wheels. So, I am done for now. Some pics

InJbNs.jpg

mAgciL.jpg

eMxJ38.jpg

uqsoqv.jpg

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I hear ya. Every improvement I do is custom, I guess thats what swayed me to the Jeep brand in the 1st place. Looking forward to your pics & specs!

OP
OP
Sx3

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I figure there is enough work to do to get the truck ready for off-roading first, so, I also plan to leave mine "stockish". I just finished my front bumper, off-road lights, CB, Line-X hard folding tonneau cover, and outfitting my bed with molle panels for day wheeling.
But, after wheeling it a half dozen times in various terrain, because of the longer wheel base, and after these mud-terrains wear out, I am considering putting a lift on it and going with 285/75/17 tires on the upgraded Rubicon wheels. So, I am done for now. Some pics

InJbNs.jpg

mAgciL.jpg

eMxJ38.jpg

uqsoqv.jpg
That gear setup is real nice and looks secure. I can see many uses for what you have secured.

Was that a kit or did you purchase individual?

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Always like to leave the vehicle stockish and wheel it that way for awhile before making major mods. Kinda like a baseline to determine what needs done and how well the mods work when done.

Sponsored

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
Man, I was hoping you were planning to lower it and put hydraulics on it with wire wheels.

Maybe some metal flake red paint with gold leaf "Gladiator Helmet".

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
That gear setup is real nice and looks secure. I can see many uses for what you have secured.

Was that a kit or did you purchase individual?
All Individual. It is a JCR Molle 2 panel side kit and the stock Mopar rail kit. The front I have attached Max Trax, and the sides I am using various "quick fist" for my pulaski, shovel, air compressor, sledge, pick, batten, Rugged Ridge Line-X folding cover, etc.... If you search my id, you can find all my build threads. I have documented how I installed and setup everything. So far, I really like it. No rattling back there, and my 4 Wheeling stuff is always available.

PS. My ARB snatch strap and soft shackles are behind the rear seat, and I keep hitch with ball and tools in a sack in the lockable storage under the rear seat. I still leave one lockable storage area open for bags or purses. I am also really liking the security of the Rugged Ridge Line-X folding cover. This will be usefull when the top is off.

Here is a link to my bed setup:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...one-setup-for-day-wheeling.25530/#post-412464

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sx3

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Individual. It is a JCR Molle 2 panel side kit and the stock Mopar rail kit. The front I have attached Max Trax, and the sides I am using various "quick fist" for my pulaski, shovel, air compressor, sledge, pick, batten, Rugged Ridge Line-X folding cover, etc.... If you search my id, you can find all my build threads. I have documented how I installed and setup everything. So far, I really like it. No rattling back there, and my 4 Wheeling stuff is always available.

PS. My ARB snatch strap and soft shackles are behind the rear seat, and I keep hitch with ball and tools in a sack in the lockable storage under the rear seat. I still leave one lockable storage area open for bags or purses. I am also really liking the security of the Rugged Ridge Line-X folding cover. This will be usefull when the top is off.

Here is a link to my bed setup:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...one-setup-for-day-wheeling.25530/#post-412464
Thank you, I do a lot of camping and from the beginning of buying the Gladiator I had overlanding in mind. I like your set up as it leaves options for bringing things home in the bed when needed.
Sponsored