Sponsored

In a pickle! What do I do?? Need some advice...

0915mnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I’m a newbie here. It’s time to trade in my 2012 Honda. Now, I have a deal in a place for a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab and for a 2021 Gladiator Overland. Obviously the discounts on the Laramie are MUCH greater so the monthly payments are about the same. I’m torn on the fun of the Jeep - (top down, jeep wave, easier to maneuver, fun to modify, fun vehicle overall, but smaller cabin, more cramped) OR the tank that is the Laramie - (much more space, comfort, ride quality, etc.), but it doesn’t have the “it” factor of Jeeps. Is it true the Gladiator rattles like crazy from all areas? That might drive me a little nuts. It would make sense given you can take it apart pretty much, but that’s the price you pay I guess!

Anyway, anyone have any experience with both and can give me any advice? I’m literally split 50/50 on what to do. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

OP
OP

0915mnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I’m a newbie here. It’s time to trade in my 2012 Honda. Now, I have a deal in a place for a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab and for a 2021 Gladiator Overland. Obviously the discounts on the Laramie are MUCH greater so the monthly payments are about the same. I’m torn on the fun of the Jeep - (top down, jeep wave, easier to maneuver, fun to modify, fun vehicle overall, but smaller cabin, more cramped) OR the tank that is the Laramie - (much more space, comfort, ride quality, etc.), but it doesn’t have the “it” factor of Jeeps. Is it true the Gladiator rattles like crazy from all areas? That might drive me a little nuts. It would make sense given you can take it apart pretty much, but that’s the price you pay I guess!

Anyway, anyone have any experience with both and can give me any advice? I’m literally split 50/50 on what to do. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks everyone!

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Well...you're posting on a Gladiator forum so you're likely to see a lot of pro-Glady advice. That said, I traded my 2017 RAM in on the Gladiator. I really liked that truck and had no problems with it...just wanted to try out a Jeep for all of the reasons you mention above. Now that I've had it for ~90 days, I have to say I love it! As to the note you have about the Gladiator rattling - I have not seen any of that - in fact, I have NO rattles or squeaks. Of course, I'm only 90 days in but so far, so good.

Oh...and I installed the Bestop Sunrider top in place of the Freedom Tops and LOVE the instant convertible option...something you can't do on the RAM! And it's MUCH easier to park!

Good luck in your decision.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I went from the Gladiator to the Ram. Both 2020 models. After driving the Ram for a while its VERY hard to go back to the Jeep....especially if you have a family. The reasons are too numerous to list here. But I agree the Jeep is the more fun of the two. Do you want a fun truck or a better truck? It's a hard choice.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
My gladiator doesn’t rattle at all. I have taken the top and doors off several times too.

I prefer the compact size of the gladiator. But I am 5’10”, which means most vehicles fit me perfectly. If your a big dude it might be an issue.

those rams are nice too. If I were you, I would take both for test rides.

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I just traded in a 2018 Ram 1500 Bighorn Sport for my 2020 Overland, so I hear ya. This is my first Jeep, after owning five Rams and one Dakota.

Yes, the Ram is more spacious and has a larger bed. However, it also gets worse gas mileage, which was one factor for me in looking at other vehicles. I will fully admit that the Gladiator was an impulse purchase - took the Ram in for an oil change, saw the Gladiator on the showroom floor and worked a deal.

Happy with the purchase so far - the Jeep is fun, easier to maneuver in parking lots/spaces, and gets waaay better MPG. No complaints here, nor the rattling issue you reference.

OP
OP

0915mnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
My gladiator doesn’t rattle at all. I have taken the top and doors off several times too.

I prefer the compact size of the gladiator. But I am 5’10”, which means most vehicles fit me perfectly. If your a big dude it might be an issue.

those rams are nice too. If I were you, I would take both for test rides.
Thanks! I’m only 5’7”, but I did find the left side of the drivers seat a bit cramped. My leg was resting against the door. Maybe I’m nitpicking, but they are 50K vehicles! Ha

6cavbmo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2017 Ram 1500, 2012 Polaris Ranger 570
Occupation
RN, U.S. Army retired
Having traded my 13 JK unlimited for a 16 Ram 4x4 crew cab and then traded for a 20 gladiator June 19 I'll tell you what I think. The Ram is a lot more comfortable and has more space. The Hemi Had more than enough power to tow my stock and utility trailers. The jeeps have more than enough power to tow my utility trailers. I love the Jeep mystique and the open top off option and the Jeep lifestyle. The Gladiator is like the Barbie doll for men. There is so much you can do to make it your own. I plan on keeping mine for a long time. You won't be dissatisfied with the one you chose, just embrace your choice.

Sponsored

Horde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I traded my 2019 Ram for a JT. The reality is that the RAM is a dramatically smoother ride and far more comfortable. driving at highway speeds. However, I went to the JT because I've always had Wranglers and knew what I was getting into. The main reason I switched to the JT was to have a convertible truck. But to be clear...the RAM is an amazing truck.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks! I’m only 5’7”, but I did find the left side of the drivers seat a bit cramped. My leg was resting against the door. Maybe I’m nitpicking, but they are 50K vehicles! Ha
Its 50k so make sure you like it. Your allowed to be nitpicking.

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 1997 Land Rover Defender, 2018 Q7 Audi
Occupation
Reitired
No rattles what so every (but only a 1,000 miles on my Overland). I did have a 2 door JT and drove it 24,000 miles, and that never had rattles. Wind noise at above 70, yes. The COOL factor is one of those that belongs to the beholder. I do find getting into the JT I feel like I am getting into a cockpit of a plane. Seat is just right for me (5'7") Leather on the seats is really a comfort item. All controls are easily learned and mostly in the right place for use. Bob

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole

If I were you, I would take both for test rides.
Agree with both statements. I get no rattles at all. Drive them both, all in the same visit, then go home and think it over.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
When I play RTJ on full blast the sound bar above my head gets a bit of a rattle. But what are you gonna do, not play Ju$t on full bass? Weak

My truck is just about the best bolted together piece of machinery I have owned. My hot hatches tend to rattle and buzz from various places, the JT does not.
Sponsored