Sponsored

In a pickle! What do I do?? Need some advice...

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
I’m a newbie here. It’s time to trade in my 2012 Honda. Now, I have a deal in a place for a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab and for a 2021 Gladiator Overland. Obviously the discounts on the Laramie are MUCH greater so the monthly payments are about the same. I’m torn on the fun of the Jeep - (top down, jeep wave, easier to maneuver, fun to modify, fun vehicle overall, but smaller cabin, more cramped) OR the tank that is the Laramie - (much more space, comfort, ride quality, etc.), but it doesn’t have the “it” factor of Jeeps. Is it true the Gladiator rattles like crazy from all areas? That might drive me a little nuts. It would make sense given you can take it apart pretty much, but that’s the price you pay I guess!

Anyway, anyone have any experience with both and can give me any advice? I’m literally split 50/50 on what to do. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks everyone!
Howdy..I'm a new owner of a Gladiator... just brought home a Rubicon last week. But I can help answer some of this. I traded in a 2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn Dually 6.7 Cummins for it. The RAM drives like a Cadillac. Smooth as silk on the road, a lot of power, and its quiet. The Jeep is a lot of fun and its a great hobby. But it certainly doesn't have the comfort of the RAM. I drive a lot between the front range of Colorado and my second house in Moab, UT. The Jeep for a 5.5 hour drive is rough, loud, and you tire easily. The RAM was smooth and a pleasure to go long distances in. Hence, the Jeep will stay in UT and I got a Ford F350 6.7 Powerstroke for my go between vehicle (yet another truck that drives like a Caddy).

So, if you can get both, you can have the best of both worlds. The RAM is a dream for commutes and long distance driving, not to mention doing some off road. The Jeep is the toy of toys and IMHO you will have the most fun offroading. Best of both worlds is both.

This probably didn't help much, but having both satisfied both my needs. So if you can afford both, get them both. :)
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have had it since January and love it. Not many miles with the Covid mess, but l still wouldn't have any other.
We've put on over 5000 since August 1 2020

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
I’m a newbie here. It’s time to trade in my 2012 Honda. Now, I have a deal in a place for a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab and for a 2021 Gladiator Overland. Obviously the discounts on the Laramie are MUCH greater so the monthly payments are about the same. I’m torn on the fun of the Jeep - (top down, jeep wave, easier to maneuver, fun to modify, fun vehicle overall, but smaller cabin, more cramped) OR the tank that is the Laramie - (much more space, comfort, ride quality, etc.), but it doesn’t have the “it” factor of Jeeps. Is it true the Gladiator rattles like crazy from all areas? That might drive me a little nuts. It would make sense given you can take it apart pretty much, but that’s the price you pay I guess!

Anyway, anyone have any experience with both and can give me any advice? I’m literally split 50/50 on what to do. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks everyone!
How old are you? As I get older, I ask myself, "how much fun and joy will this add to my life?" more and more. I don't want to die having had a comfortable, roomy cabin. I want to die having had great experiences and customizing the world around me to reflect my values. Jeeps are not practical. They are fun. They let me change them to suit me. They make a sunny day much more joyful. A Jeep is a project to help you live enthusiastically, not a tool to ease one's mere existing.

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
How old are you? As I get older, I ask myself, "how much fun and joy will this add to my life?" more and more. I don't want to die having had a comfortable, roomy cabin. I want to die having had great experiences and customizing the world around me to reflect my values. Jeeps are not practical. They are fun. They let me change them to suit me. They make a sunny day much more joyful. A Jeep is a project to help you live enthusiastically, not a tool to ease one's mere existing.
I agree with this 100% very well put.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I’m curious, are you posting on the Ram forum asking them what truck you should buy?

My Gladiator had a couple rattles when my friend’s young kids were in it

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
No rattles what so every (but only a 1,000 miles on my Overland). I did have a 2 door JT and drove it 24,000 miles, and that never had rattles. Wind noise at above 70, yes. The COOL factor is one of those that belongs to the beholder. I do find getting into the JT I feel like I am getting into a cockpit of a plane. Seat is just right for me (5'7") Leather on the seats is really a comfort item. All controls are easily learned and mostly in the right place for use. Bob
They make a 2 door JT?!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2015 Harley Tri Glide, 1928 Ford roadster pickup
Went from an 11 Cummins ram to a JL.... wasn’t towing heavy anymore. Wrecked JL and got JT.... don’t miss driving the school bus one bit, and I’m a big guy.

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL; 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk; 2017 Dodge Challenger RT
I have had both. Currently own JT Rubicon. Drive and ride I like Laramie better, love the interior on Ram but for my needs and purpose JT is better

MR GRANITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave Gobi
Ram for the ride and if you need the interior space. The new body style ram has the nicest cab and ride in the industry. JT if you want a little fun factor in your truck.

Mike the mechanic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
mechanic
I've never had a Ram so can't compare them, but I've had a 2014 JKU and now a 2020 Overland and neither has rattled. I'm 6 ft and both are comfortable to drive.

Sponsored

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
I bought a new Silverado in August 2019. It was a sensible buy for my needs. Nice truck. I started to get the itch for something for fun. I've always wanted a Jeep and instead of adding a Jeep, I started doing a bunch of research on the Gladiator to possibly replace my Silverado. Test drove one and was immediately impressed with the driving enjoyment. More sports car like than truck like.

I worked up a deal on one suitably equipped with a sales guy that happens to be a friend. (It's nice to not have to go through the typical car dealer bs.) When it arrived I went to pick it up all the while thinking, "this is a bad financial decision". "My Silverado has more room, will tow better, get better fuel mileage and have a bigger bed."

I arrived at the dealership to test the Gladiator I was going to buy. Loved it. I was still on the fence so I told the dealer rep that I was going to go get lunch and ponder this for just a bit more. This is where it hit me. As I parked my truck I noticed this lady getting out of a truck looking at me oddly. No idea why. I also noticed a Jeep off to my right. Mmmm, nice Jeep. Lightly customized. The owner had named it and put that name along the hood. As I sat eating lunch looking out the window I finally figured out why the lady was looking at my oddly. She was driving the exact same truck as I was. Same color and everything. I hadn't even noticed it. But I noticed the Jeep. I returned to the dealership, signed the papers and took the Gladiator home. I love this thing and don't care one bit about the financial hit I took to get it. It was a worthwhile investment in enjoyment of life.

If you are a person that buys vehicles primarily for their utility, a Jeep may not be for you. If you love to play with cars, get one as soon as possible.

I have no rattles in the Gladiator yet.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I had a Ram 1500 Bighorn (or whatever) as a rental for about 6 weeks, circa early 2019.

That thing was hot garbage. Literally the worst truck that I've ever driven. I've driven primarily Silverados, Wranglers, and my Gladiator. The Gladiator is so much better.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I have a very large business with lots of 1/2T and 1T trucks.
based on our ownership case, the rams are the trucks I expect you to start finding rattles 40-60k into ownership. There’s a few 2019 rams in the fleet with 80+k on them so far and while the fit and finish was best of the bunch new, that’s no longer the case. Granted we buy XLT/big horn/custom etc trim levels with more plastics but that’s just my experience.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I sold my 05 Ram (in perfect shape) and bought an Overland. The Ram wasn't as much fun to drive , park, or gas up. The only thing I miss from the Ram is that Hemi engine. The Jeep is much more fun to drive and park. No rattles and no room problems. I have had it since January and love it. Not many miles with the Covid mess, but l still wouldn't have any other.
Yup - no rattles here. Ooops, I take that back. I guess mine DOES have a rattle that comes and goes. when I ask my wife - ok, what's rattling now? She says - your damn sunglasses again - she's right, I keep putting them in that spot on the dash and they are plastic and rattle like crazy up there.
But my Jeep - no rattles, no squeaks, no unwanted sounds. It's smooth, it's quiet, it's fun, it's COMFORTABLE on long trips.
I've had the front doors off, I've had the roof and panels off several times, and back on - NO RATTLES, NO LEAKS!
Things simply work.
It's got plenty of room inside - good leg room. Not as WIDE as my Chevy was - but then the Chevy was hard to get into the garage, too.

11 months, a bit over 10,000 miles.
I wish it had a bit more towing power but then it's the 3.73 gears - what would I expect?
I've driven this truck twice as far in that 11 months than I would have driven any other truck - because it's fun, comfortable, smooth, gets very good MPG for a truck and did I mention - it's fun?
EASY as heck to park - far far far the easiest truck to park and maneuver that I've ever owned.
Sponsored