Sponsored

In case you're wondering what the damage of a hitch ball does to a bumper at <5 MPH

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Sleep deprivation + too much on the mind =
Jeep Gladiator In case you're wondering what the damage of a hitch ball does to a bumper at <5 MPH DSC06409.JPG

Jeep Gladiator In case you're wondering what the damage of a hitch ball does to a bumper at <5 MPH DSC06410.JPG

Was behind someone at Stop sign, was checking for cars and saw street completely empty, started to roll and hit a Volvo with a hitch ball on the back. Was going less than 5 MPH and the impact was so insignificant my dash cam didnt even record it (granted it was on low sensitivity detection).

Pro tip: Don't roll into hitch balls.

Shopping for new bumper now
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
yay for plastic bumpers! cheap to replace, no painting required, and you can install yourself.

Probably start shopping for someone else's take-offs. At this point i'm sure you can find plenty at the low, low price of "free to a good home, just please take it away before my wife makes me throw it away!"

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re coming south towards DE anytime soon i have both a rubi and sport plastic bumper you’re welcome to for free. They both have minor scratches on them but nothing like that ball tap :LOL:

Sponsored

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
So for those in the know, same incident with a steel bumper, what would the damage have been?
I’m guessing steel pushes the ball down resulting in just minor scrapes and scratches. Am I mistaken?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t lie to us….we’re all sick on this forum. We know you just wanted a new steel bumper. This is a safe zone….no judgement.
I showed my wife some of the "accident reports" from the forum here, people getting rear-ended and such. She said "you have a steel bumper on front now, right? Why don't you get one for the rear, too".
Love that woman!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sleep deprivation + too much on the mind =
Jeep Gladiator In case you're wondering what the damage of a hitch ball does to a bumper at <5 MPH DSC06410.JPG

Was behind someone at Stop sign, was checking for cars and saw street completely empty, started to roll and hit a Volvo with a hitch ball on the back. Was going less than 5 MPH and the impact was so insignificant my dash cam didnt even record it (granted it was on low sensitivity detection).

Pro tip: Don't roll into hitch balls.

Shopping for new bumper now
I had an F250 4x4. I was between jobs so for dirt-cheap transportation I bought a crappy, rusty, VW bunny.
I had a mix of sticks and automatics, out of one into another...... but also have severe ADHD (thus the NSS switch wired onto the clutch linkage of my SX4)
I had the Bunny sitting front to front in front of my big red F250. Got in the bunny after driving one of my automatics, turned key (yes, notice I left out put in neutral or press clutch) and bam - VW Bunny started and WHAM, suddenly stopped as I hit my own truck head-on. All it did to either was knock the plastic license plate bracket off the truck, both had decent bumpers, no damage.
Note to self- what was I talking about again?
No wonder the doc put my back on the meds!

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
I had a Power Wagon back in the eighties, and one of my friends had a new Dodge Omni GLH. I had a custom made front bumper with a brush guard welded on. I pulled in behind him one day while he was doing an oil change on his Omni. After he finished filling it with oil, he reached through the window and turned the key to start it for a final oil level check. This almost new Omni didn't have a clutch safety switch and it was in reverse without the parking brake set. It started and backed into the front of my truck. I laughed, but he was so sick. I got out my can of gloss black and touched up the paint on my bumper. I offered to spray the hatch of his car, but he declined. Goes to show the value of a heavy duty bumper.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Before you purchase anything, check with your State laws regarding hitches/balls on vehicles when not in use.

In some States that is against the law and the other person CAN be responsible for damages caused.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Before you purchase anything, check with your State laws regarding hitches/balls on vehicles when not in use.

In some States that is against the law and the other person CAN be responsible for damages caused.
interesting. Never even thought the check that.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine

Other people should stay off your balls.

OP
OP
Mister Lamb

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator

After a quick search you're onto something. Looks to be the case in NY. Being that I was totally at fault I wouldn't feel right making the other guy pay. Might not feel so kind next time though with this in mind :P

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

My quick Google search comes up with it being legal, as long as the license plate is not obstructed, except in California.
Sponsored