Sponsored

In light of recent events, who is running dash/rear Cameras?

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
First off, I appreciate the feedback from my accident thread! After thinking about it and how I run camera's (go pro) full time on my motorcycle as insurance after being hit on a motorcycle years ago, it made me realize I need something on the jeep. I am unfamiliar so I thought I would reach out to people on here and see if anybody has any recommendations in terms of dash-cams. I also want something to aim out of the back window in case something similar happens to what I went through this past weekend. Thanks guys!
Sponsored

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have a dash cam although I've been thinking of getting one for the rear as well. It's a Garmin 45, which I got from Best Buy, and have no issues with it so far. If I were to get one for the rear, I'd probably mount it on the rollover crossbar behind the backseats.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
Blackvue front cam with dual battery pack. Haven’t needed to use it yet but really happy to have it.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Any problems with heat affecting the Blackvue in the summer?

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
First off, I appreciate the feedback from my accident thread! After thinking about it and how I run camera's (go pro) full time on my motorcycle as insurance after being hit on a motorcycle years ago, it made me realize I need something on the jeep. I am unfamiliar so I thought I would reach out to people on here and see if anybody has any recommendations in terms of dash-cams. I also want something to aim out of the back window in case something similar happens to what I went through this past weekend. Thanks guys!
I don't even know if this is possible, but is there a way to mount your go pro so that it captures your dash and the rearview camera as you drive while it's displayed?

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
Only issue I had was when I kept trying to get the cam perfectly level and centered (tiny bit OCD). It was fine all summer but once it got cold it fell off the windshield. They give you a second adhesive pad for this reason. I got placement exactly where I wanted it when I put it back up and it’s been solid. The battery packs are really nice but the Bluetooth sucks on them. It takes 3-5 attempts to connect to them. Really, the only reason to connect is to see their current charge so I rarely even attempt to do so.

the_weekender

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
Hello all,
I am running a Thinkware F800 Pro with Rear and had it on my last car as well. I had only one issue which a simple software update fixed.

I just finished hardwiring last week. Ran the rear camera down the same path as the wiring harness for the rear window. Then used two fuse taps for now in the fuse box.

mainly so I can have parking mode on.

Haven't had any issues in heat. I am in the north east through

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
This is what I use..has a front and rear camera which record at the same time. I have a micro sd card which can obviously be removed to view the footage and it has a small screen on it and well to view the footage immediately should there be an accident. It has other nice features as well. It's currently hooked up to a switched power source and turns on everytime the jeep does. You can add a gps addons which will add your location and speed on the files. I bought the window suction cup mount for it and the hardwire kit for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EX8ATKK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

Sponsored

Swadehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Hard Rock, 2019 Rubicon, 2023 392
I run front dash cams in both of my Jeeps. Both have rear cameras that can be plugged in to record at the same time, but I do not have them hooked up.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I use..has a front and rear camera which record at the same time. I have a micro sd card which can obviously be removed to view the footage and it has a small screen on it and well to view the footage immediately should there be an accident. It has other nice features as well. It's currently hooked up to a switched power source and turns on everytime the jeep does. You can add a gps addons which will add your location and speed on the files. I bought the window suction cup mount for it and the hardwire kit for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EX8ATKK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title
I hope you have better luck with Rexing than I did.
My first one started having screen quirks after about 6 months, screen would just go weird colors and lines randomly, and no buttons would work.
Rexing was great and swapped it out via (pay and credit back once the damaged on was returned)

The second one, would not turn on upon startup, I would have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to start up, and then a week after that started happening, again, the buttons would not work.

Now I am using this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHJG9JX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I went cheap after the rexing failed to last. The only issue this one seems to have is that the "screen sleep" does not function. But having the screen on full time when in use is not an issue really, although being able to adjust brightness would be nice, but I don't see it in the menu anywhere. And the screen is bigger, which has been nice.
Sponsored