In Praise of the ZF 8 Speed

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
As I'm going down the freeway at 80 miles an hour with 5.13 gears and 37's I cannot help but praise the ZF eight speed. It performs great on and off road and is what makes this built Jeep still be able to be a DD
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
As I'm going down the freeway at 80 miles an hour with 5.13 gears and 37's I cannot help but praise the ZF eight speed. It performs great on and off road and is what makes this built Jeep still be able to be a DD
I couldnā€™t agree more. Iā€™m running the same setup. And I can tow our small trailer at 77 comfortably.

gunsnrods

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
When I bought my Gladiator my plan was another shifter after two manual Wranglers. Ended up driver an auto, bought an auto.
Living in Idaho we have big hills and mountains and gearing down to ascend or descend is an everyday event. The auto is a good choice, no regrets.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just out of curiosity, what are you turning for RPM at 70 mph in 8th?

Or if you have it at a different speed, I can figure it out. I'm curious what the combo of gearing and 37 ends up at.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Just out of curiosity, what are you turning for RPM at 70 mph in 8th?

Or if you have it at a different speed, I can figure it out. I'm curious what the combo of gearing and 37 ends up at.

Thank you.
Iā€™ll check when I leave today. At 70 itā€™s 2000ish or lower from memory

Sponsored

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon Launch Edition Granite Crystal
Occupation
Self employed
nobody never had the feeling sometimes the gearbox acting like a dumb? like staying on the same gear o high rev instead of shifting up? an update must be done? or the rubicon stock gear ratio isnt good with 35's
dont know...

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
nobody never had the feeling sometimes the gearbox acting like a dumb? like staying on the same gear o high rev instead of shifting up? an update must be done? or the rubicon stock gear ratio isnt good with 35's
dont know...
Mine hangs onto gears for an uncomfortably long time when I'm towing, it doesn't seem to like the additional load. If it really bothers me I just manually shift it. I wish they would tweak the shift logic a tad for those conditions, but overall I'm very happy with the 8 spd

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
Mine hangs onto gears for an uncomfortably long time when I'm towing, it doesn't seem to like the additional load. If it really bothers me I just manually shift it. I wish they would tweak the shift logic a tad for those conditions, but overall I'm very happy with the 8 spd
yeah a very nice gearbox for sure . those long time are the reason why i installed a 392 steering wheel with paddle shifters. works great

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
yeah a very nice gearbox for sure . those long time are the reason why i installed a 392 steering wheel with paddle shifters. works great
[/
I was wondering about the paddle shifters for that scenario since you normally have to move the shifter over from the D position to manually shift. Do you still have to do that for the paddle shifters? Seems like the truck would fight your inputs if you didn't.

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
I was wondering about the paddle shifters for that scenario since you normally have to move the shifter over from the D position to manually shift. Do you still have to do that for the paddle shifters? Seems like the truck would fight your inputs if you didn't.
in fact you can use it even in Position D. you just have to double click on the right or left paddle to engage the manual mode. ony thing in this way you dont see whih gear is engaged next to the D on the dashboard. and then long push on the + paddle to go back in fully auto.

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Yā€™all should edit the title to 850RE. 8HP75- diesel.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
dont know...
These are high rpm engines. Theyā€™re designed to run fast. Forcing them to run at lower rpmā€™s could potentially shorten their life. Just let the tranny do itā€™s thing.

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
These are high rom engines. Theyā€™re designed to run fast. Forcing them to run at lower rpmā€™s could potentially shorten their life. Just let the tranny do itā€™s thing.
ah ... thats an helpfull and bad news answer.... i'm an european guy ... raised with fully torqued low rpm turbo diesel engine... and i really dont like when it's shift up than 2000 -2500 rpm.
now i have the confirm that i need to adapt my driving style and learn about how to drive with naturally aspirated gas engie. thanks for the answer i appreciate

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
ah ... thats an helpfull and bad news answer.... i'm an european guy ... raised with fully torqued low rpm turbo diesel engine... and i really dont like when it's shift up than 2000 -2500 rpm.
now i have the confirm that i need to adapt my driving style and learn about how to drive with naturally aspirated gas engie. thanks for the answer i appreciate
Not all naturally aspirated gas engines like high rpmā€™s, but this one does.

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
Not all naturally aspirated gas engines like high rpmā€™s, but this one does.
jeez my engine must probably hate me ;-) i think on 25000 miles he saw 5 times up to 4000 rpm ;-)
most of the time im driving it like my old GTD with DSG gearbox :) :)
Sponsored