In praise (or not) of ESS? **NO POLITICS**

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
So I've seen a lot of negative comments about ESS and I don't get it....

For me personally my experience of ESS is:

1 - it saves fuel and money
2 - it reduces emissions that contribute to climate change
3 - I actually like sitting at junctions or in traffic without the noise and vibration of the engine running (it's hardly the smoothest engine in the world)
4 - it reduces engine wear
5 - the engine always starts within the split second of taking my foot off the brake and moving to the accelerator so quickly and smoothly it's never an inconvenience

I don't subscribe to the view that the constant stop start increases wear on the starter motor etc to any great degree - pretty much every new car here in Europe comes with this system, but if there are other real life experiences I'll listen...

So what's not to like...?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'll come back later with these on and read all the replies..... I'm sure the bullchitt is gonna run deep..

13114_A.jpg

OP
OP
stewartld

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Above opinion is about as useless as Bruce Jenners manhood
Well I gave you a reasoned argument and you gave...well hardly a reasoned argument. Happy to listen to different views, but facts and logic are always preferable to simple abuse

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

3 - I actually like sitting at junctions or in traffic without the noise and vibration of the engine running (it's hardly the smoothest engine in the world)
5 - the engine always starts within the split second of taking my foot off the brake and moving to the accelerator so quickly and smoothly it's never an inconvenience

I don't subscribe to the view that the constant stop start increases wear on the starter motor etc to any great degree - pretty much every new car here in Europe comes with this system, but if there are other real life experiences I'll listen...

I appreciate your thoughts on this topic.

Thank you.

My wife and I turned it off on her Mini. But, I think that I might give it a real try when I get my JLU.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel

1. Does it? I used it for the first month and then turned it off and compared. I saw MAYBE .2 a mpg more with it enabled.
2. Climate change is BS. I'm not worried about my impact on a naturally occurring process.
3. I don't mind a running engine.
4. And how do you arrive to this conclusion? It's been widely known for years that a huge amount of wear on engines occurs during starting. There is no electric oil pump that is continually pumping oil with the engine off so if anything it increases wear.
5. I've seen it NOT start and leaving me to shift into park and manually start it.

If you add in the added complexity of the second battery and the hassle it causes. Wait til you come out and find your battery voltage low and every device running without the ability to shut it off. The only way to kill it is to disconnect both batteries and then charge your battery with it unhooked.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you believe your Jeep causes climate change, why did you buy it? Sounds like you need an EV. Don't you care about the planet?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually like it at drive-thrus. You can clearly hear what people are saying.
@jeepster345

IF your 3.6L roars so to speak on warm/hot days when you are in a Drive Thru, do know there is a fix (computer flash) for that.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really? It's just a flash?
@jeepster345

Yes, just a computer flash that takes less then 15 min to do by the dealer. Knocks out the roar completely and even helps with the idle in general. Myself and a few other's here had it done..
roar.png