Sponsored

Increase towing capacity on High Altitude?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator High Altitude
My trailer has brakes and I plan on adding some air lift bags for a bit more support and confidence.

Wondering if there are any relatively cheap/easy ways to increase towing capacity beyond 6000 lbs on my High Altitude with factory tow package?

Would swapping to some take off Max Tow springs and/or shocks actually increase my towing capacity? Anything else cheap/easy?
Sponsored

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
My trailer has brakes and I plan on adding some air lift bags for a bit more support and confidence.

Wondering if there are any relatively cheap/easy ways to increase towing capacity beyond 6000 lbs on my High Altitude with factory tow package?

Would swapping to some take off Max Tow springs and/or shocks actually increase my towing capacity? Anything else cheap/easy?
Legally you can not increase the towing capacity of any vehicle. There are tons of things you can do to make towing more comfortable/safer, but at the end of the day if you get in a wreck pulling more weight than your truck is rated for, your insurance company can deny your claim and you can be held respondible.

All that being said:
more power (any number of things)
larger/HD Brakes
Weight Distribution Hitch
Air Bags
10 ply tires
Transmission cooler

will all help your truck tow better, but none of the above is a substitute for buying a truck large enough to carry your load safely

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Sarge Mojave, ā€˜21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
"Legally" increase it? No. Nothing you can do there.

You could likely help how it handles loads by using stiffer springs from a Max Tow, but what you're really missing is the heavy duty cooling.

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
To expand on this question, I too, am looking to increase towing capacity since my Freedom didn't come with Max Tow.

Since you're suppose to tow in 2WD, it seems like Jeep added the HD Dana 44 wide front axle just to match the rear?

The standard Trailer-Tow package already comes with the Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling, so it looks like it is a combination of HD Brakes, 4.10 Axle Ratio and HD axle for the increased capacity?

"Legally" increase it? No. Nothing you can do there.

You could likely help how it handles loads by using stiffer springs from a Max Tow, but what you're really missing is the heavy duty cooling.
I didn't see anywhere that states the Max-Tow package provides stiffer springs.

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Max tow does come with stiffer springs in the rear for increased payload. Wider axles are for stabilization front and rear.

again, plenty of thing you can do to make towing more comfortable, but nothing can be done to increase the tow rating of the truck since that is assigned my theJeep engineers.

Sponsored

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Where is that documented from Jeep?
Donā€™t know, donā€™t care. Itā€™s mentioned in enough other places and the springs are different part numbers from the rest. Thatā€™s good enough for me, if you need more proof you can find it.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Donā€™t know, donā€™t care. Itā€™s mentioned in enough other places and the springs are different part numbers from the rest. Thatā€™s good enough for me, if you need more proof you can find it.
Harsh answerā€¦lol

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

What are you planning to tow?
Weight?
Length?
Axles?
Frontal area?
Towing routeā€¦.mountains, plains?
Then the help will come.
Butā€¦.you can not change your Gross vehicle weight rating.

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I did find that information...

It is strange why Jeep doesn't clearly outline this in the specifications for the Max-Tow.

From their website, they do mention that a Rubicon model they have shown on the page has a max payload of up to 1,160 pounds, whereas they offer an option for 1,700 pound 4x4 payload, but don't correlate it to the Max-Tow..

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I did find that information...

It is strange why Jeep doesn't clearly outline this in the specifications for the Max-Tow.
They doā€¦.at the dealership.
But once this new trend of buying online (ugh) gains momentum, they will have to give more specific details on everything.
But I agree, pretty vague specifics on the build and price online. The online brochure has more info.
Sponsored