Sponsored

Insane audio or Stinger.....

glady8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Trying to decide which would be the better choice to upgrade my 5.2 inch factory unit. What is the overwhelming opinion?
Sponsored

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Little bit of everything here. I installed the Insane Audio JL3001 today.
Was a little confusing getting all the wiring setup because there are so many extra connectors for add ons, but eventually got it all dialed in and so far it seems pretty great.

For the record, I also have the Alpine PSS-23WRA and I can confirm the two ARE working together for me without any modifications to the wiring. Tight fit jamming all the harnesses back in but it worked out.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Followup on this - been running the Insane Audio unit for a few days now, got adjusted to it, dialed in the settings and whatnot.. I LOVE this thing. I was really hesitant to pull the Uconnect, didnt want to lose functionality or create problems.. I havent had any issues with anything not working or acting up.

Also, my sound system completely came to life with this unit. I already had a lot of the hardware in place, Kenwood speakers, alpine upgrade etc but with the Insane Audio unit driving the speakers holy cow.. Everything is WAY louder, way clearer, and the music has a lot more body. At half volume you cant hear yourself speaking, highs / lows are much more separate and clear, etc.

Its a bit of an adjustment getting used to this thing but Im really happy with it. Hopefully it doesnt start giving me trouble after a month.

Sponsored

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Followup on this - been running the Insane Audio unit for a few days now, got adjusted to it, dialed in the settings and whatnot.. I LOVE this thing. I was really hesitant to pull the Uconnect, didnt want to lose functionality or create problems.. I havent had any issues with anything not working or acting up.

Also, my sound system completely came to life with this unit. I already had a lot of the hardware in place, Kenwood speakers, alpine upgrade etc but with the Insane Audio unit driving the speakers holy cow.. Everything is WAY louder, way clearer, and the music has a lot more body. At half volume you cant hear yourself speaking, highs / lows are much more separate and clear, etc.

Its a bit of an adjustment getting used to this thing but Im really happy with it. Hopefully it doesnt start giving me trouble after a month.
Watching the installation videos, seems like there is a LOT of USB cables that are loose, essentially ending up in the glove box.

Is this actually the case?

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Watching the installation videos, seems like there is a LOT of USB cables that are loose, essentially ending up in the glove box.

Is this actually the case?
There are a lot of "optional" cables. It took me a bit to sort through it all, reading the instructions and watching the videos helped. I actually didnt run any cables to the glovebox because I just didnt need them.

For example, the cable for the tailgate camera input has like 4 other rca connections on it for adding in a front or additional cameras. I didnt need those and considered cutting them off but was able to stuff them behind the unit.

I didnt install the HDMI input cable because, well, ive got videos on the sd card + youtube etc.. I didnt see a need for HDMI input. There are a few other cables that I just didnt connect because I didnt want or need the extra features at this point.

If you choose to run Apple carplay, one of those usb cables to the glovebox will be necessary - I think. Its my understanding that the unit only runs carplay through one specific usb connection on the harness. Im not an Apple guy, could be wrong. Im happy running the native android on the unit and feeding it an internet connection from my phone.

Side note on cables - I had one coaxial cable from the factory harness that was "leftover", didnt have anywhere to plug it and was confused. I havent been able to confirm it explicitly, but im 98% sure it was the OEM GPS antenna, as the unit comes with its own.

I just stuffed the GPS antenna that came with the unit into the dash behind the unit with the rest of the cables and havent had any issue. Im not using the built in GPS app anyways, Im running wireless hotspot on my phone and then using google maps or ONX, so those just feed off the phones location data. I may just go back and unplug the antenna that came with this unit to remove some of the rats nest behind the deck later.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I agree with what ShastaJT6 said, mostly.

IMO the Insane Audio is leagues above the stinger in looks and functionality. Not to mention having an IP rating while Stinger does not.

I ran all of the extra USB cables to my glove box as a just in case but you do not need it at all. Everything works like stock, with a tremendous amount of flexibility at your fingertips. With it being based on android, you can run almost anything. Shit I have seen someone mess with it and actually put IOS on it.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
How many watts per channel does the built in amp put out? Is there a built in crossover if you want to add a sub?
Sponsored