Installed a new trailer camera setup

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
Wanted to show you guys an alternative trailer backup cam that I just picked up. I had been trying to figure out a way to add a backup camera to the trailer to display on the head unit. I don't have the front trail cam, which means I don't have the video processor either to tap into. The OEM backup camera uses Fakra connections so finding adapters that work is not easy. I contemplated buying the Z Auto front cam and using the video input with a splitter but ultimately decided to buy a Haloview camera setup. It's an add on screen that goes over the factory rear view mirror and has a single wifi camera and a front dash cam. The whole install took about 30 minutes. On my trailer I have Furrion pre-wire mounting plate and power, so the camera mounts to that, it and the wifi transmitter is powered by the furrion adapter. The mirror comes with a cigarette lighter adapter but I am eventually going to tap into the overhead power for a cleaner setup. Here are some pictures of the setup.

Jeep Gladiator Installed a new trailer camera setup rear-view-mirror-dashcam-with-backup-camera

Jeep Gladiator Installed a new trailer camera setup 20200501_065902

Driving to work this morning with the dash cam function.

Jeep Gladiator Installed a new trailer camera setup 20200430_204647

The transmitter and camera mounted to my furrion prewire.

Jeep Gladiator Installed a new trailer camera setup 20200430_204439

Sorry for the poor picture, I backed my truck up and plugged in to give the camera power and test. My trailer is about 5 feet from the back door.

Jeep Gladiator Installed a new trailer camera setup 20200430_204325

Here is the dual cam function. It also records front and rear cam apparently.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Looks great. I've been considering exactly this for my trailer. Mine isn't prewired though, so I'd have to find a way to get a wire down the back, where there is NO 12v wiring nearby at all. One option is to go to the tail light and just have to manually turn on the running lights.

OP
OP

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
Looks great. I've been considering exactly this for my trailer. Mine isn't prewired though, so I'd have to find a way to get a wire down the back, where there is NO 12v wiring nearby at all. One option is to go to the tail light and just have to manually turn on the running lights.
If buying that kit, an option is to have the transmitter mounted up by your battery, and power connection there. Through the kit provides a 12 meter long cable you can run under or over the camper to mount the camera. I have mine mounted with no 12m cable extension. The kit comes with adheasive backed ziptie things to run the cable and secure it.

Jeep Gladiator Installed a new trailer camera setup how-to-install-the-RD10-system

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Do you think you can video it in action? Showing the trailer and JT and then the mirror while traveling on a road? You may need to have an assistant while driving. I've always wondered how it would look from the back of my trailer short of me riding in it and looking out the back window.

OP
OP

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
Do you think you can video it in action? Showing the trailer and JT and then the mirror while traveling on a road? You may need to have an assistant while driving. I've always wondered how it would look from the back of my trailer short of me riding in it and looking out the back window.
Sure. I'll try to do it this weekend.

Reactions: KVJ

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this up, I’ve been considering something similar for my trailer. I still think I want to use the Farka adapter since I have the Tazer and can turn on the cargo camera input.

OP
OP

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
Thanks for posting this up, I’ve been considering something similar for my trailer. I still think I want to use the Farka adapter since I have the Tazer and can turn on the cargo camera input.
The tazer front cam utilizes the low def cargo cam input, which is not the same as the hd oem input. If you bought fromt cam from the factory there is a video processor mounted behind the rear seat, maybe could split that but im not sure since i dont have it to inspect. As it is my setup without front cam the backup cam plugs directly into the rear of the head unit. I found fakra to rca adapters but they dont seem to work. There are specfic type of fakra plugs and i cant seem to find the video (type E? I dont remember) to rca. I had bought this other wiring setup but couldnt tie it in without getting z auto front cam wiring which is why i went with haloview. 30 minute install for a decent solution.

Screenshot_20200502-073409_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
Took a little longer than I planned to get a video, been getting my house ready for sale. Had to move the trailer yesterday to clean so i was able to take a video.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I like!!
Got a few questions though. So the screen mounts over the rear view mirror Face? If the system doesn’t detect the rear trailer camera or is turned off (no trailer) does the mirror still work as normal or do you have to take the screen off to use the mirror like normal?
Ive looked at a few systems that have WiFi cameras and a little screen you mount on the dash but I do like the Integrated style of this. I already have a CB, Ham, phone mount and GoPro mount on the dash rail so not sure I want to add a monitor to the list.
SO... the last question is how much and from where?

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Looks like a Haloview RD7 or RD10, around $330.

Also, it's not wifi. That would introduce a delay that would be disconcerting on the road. I've tried using a basic wifi camera for this, and it's alright for just backing slowly, but not fast movement as the video lags a second, and that's a lot for your brain to process.

OP
OP

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
I like!!
Got a few questions though. So the screen mounts over the rear view mirror Face? If the system doesn’t detect the rear trailer camera or is turned off (no trailer) does the mirror still work as normal or do you have to take the screen off to use the mirror like normal?
Ive looked at a few systems that have WiFi cameras and a little screen you mount on the dash but I do like the Integrated style of this. I already have a CB, Ham, phone mount and GoPro mount on the dash rail so not sure I want to add a monitor to the list.
SO... the last question is how much and from where?
yes it has some rubber straps and mounts over the existing review mirror.

It has a forward facing camera/dash cam, so it will either record and project forward image or there is a button to turn off the screen and it will act as a regular rear view mirror. press the button again and it turns the monitor back on.
I've seen several systems with monitors, the other haloview products included, but with as little windshield space as is and already having my phone mount I didn't want more obstructions. I tried connecting to the OEM 8.4 but without the Z-auto front cam that wasn't an option either because the Fakra connections make it difficult.

It was about $330 or so, and so far I am really happy. They have other systems (regular monitor not the rear view monitor) that can utilize 4 cameras and that would be nice in this set up using this monitor.

The only thing I dont like is the mount itself, since I have a teardrop I've realized while using it the angle of the furrion and the bracket I can't actually see the trailer's bumper and know where it is exactly, so its more of a general backup cam. I may make a new bracket that projects the camera out and down a little more so I can have better rear view but thats specific to my trailer.

OP
OP

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
Here is another view of actual use and backing into my driveway.

Schultzeee

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Wanted to show you guys an alternative trailer backup cam that I just picked up. I had been trying to figure out a way to add a backup camera to the trailer to display on the head unit. I don't have the front trail cam, which means I don't have the video processor either to tap into. The OEM backup camera uses Fakra connections so finding adapters that work is not easy. I contemplated buying the Z Auto front cam and using the video input with a splitter but ultimately decided to buy a Haloview camera setup. It's an add on screen that goes over the factory rear view mirror and has a single wifi camera and a front dash cam. The whole install took about 30 minutes. On my trailer I have Furrion pre-wire mounting plate and power, so the camera mounts to that, it and the wifi transmitter is powered by the furrion adapter. The mirror comes with a cigarette lighter adapter but I am eventually going to tap into the overhead power for a cleaner setup. Here are some pictures of the setup.

rear-view-mirror-dashcam-with-backup-camera.jpg

20200501_065902.jpg

20200430_204647.jpg

20200430_204439.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture, I backed my truck up and plugged in to give the camera power and test. My trailer is about 5 feet from the back door.

20200430_204325.jpg

Jeep Gladiator Installed a new trailer camera setup Screenshot_20200502-073409_Samsung Internet

Jeep Gladiator Installed a new trailer camera setup Screenshot_20200502-073409_Samsung Internet

This looks cool, do you have a pic of it with the cameras off, just the mirror?