Sponsored

Installed Borla Climber catback exhaust

yell03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Today my local garage installed the Borla Climber catback on my 2018 JLUR with the 6 cylinder engine.
I picked it up at rush hour and took a brief 10 minute test drive.
I have to say,I am impressed by how good the Jeep engine sounds, if my GTR would have sounded this good I might have kept it.
Around town it is pretty loud, i can always hear it even with my radio going, that is good.
I took it out on the main road and it seems quiet at highway rpms with no drone,also good, I will confirm this when I have a chance to get it on the highway which might not be until next week.
I am talking a road trip with the wife and both dogs and my German Shepherd prefers the larger area in the back of the Raptor with the seats folded up.

The guy who installed the exhaust thought it sounded like an old BMW 6 cylinder.
I think it sounds like a nice 6 cylinder sports car tone, it definitely would not fit the Raptor's LARGE personality, but it is perfect for the Jeep.

More later after more seat time.
Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Borla makes good stuff. Post a video of it so we can hear what it sounds like! I'm very interested.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
So the borla made your engine sound better than your GTR. AMAZING lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I installed this exhaust too. It sounded like garbage. Ended up swapping mufflers. The routing is amazing. It great not to have that giant muffler hanging off the back. I’m pretty sure there is some weight savings too.

OP
OP
yell03

yell03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is the performance?
That I can't comment on yet, it's a Jeep so I am not too concerned, but any performance benefit, even better gas mileage would be a plus.

Borla makes good stuff. Post a video of it so we can hear what it sounds like! I'm very interested.
Will do when I get a chance.

So the borla made your engine sound better than your GTR. AMAZING lol
I have owned more performance cars than i can count, the GTR sounded like trash. It was modded and has a full Kline exhaust and was an easy 10 second car, but it still sounded terrible.

Time for a hearing test.
My hearing is fine, I have had some of the nicest sounding Mustangs, Vettes, AMGs, Jags, etc...
The GTR sounded terrible, it was too quiet and did not have a pleasant sound.

I just think it’s cool that it changed the engine’s sound and not the exhaust. Borla is amazing.
Obviously you don;t know cars, different style engines with different firing orders have different sounds that show up in the exhaust note.
That is why Mustangs usually sound better than Vettes, the Ford V8 just sounds better.

Lol. Got it. Missed that the first time.

Borla. Now with twin turbos.
Read the above, it seems many (not all) Jeep owners are not as educated in performance and sound categories?

Go on the Raptor Forums, the exhaust is not the reason my V6 Raptor does not sound nearly as good as a V8 Raptor.

Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
That I can't comment on yet, it's a Jeep so I am not too concerned, but any performance benefit, even better gas mileage would be a plus.

Will do when I get a chance.

I have owned more performance cars than i can count, the GTR sounded like trash. It was modded and has a full Kline exhaust and was an easy 10 second car, but it still sounded terrible.

My hearing is fine, I have had some of the nicest sounding Mustangs, Vettes, AMGs, Jags, etc...
The GTR sounded terrible, it was too quiet and did not have a pleasant sound.

Obviously you don;t know cars, different style engines with different firing orders have different sounds that show up in the exhaust note.
That is why Mustangs usually sound better than Vettes, the Ford V8 just sounds better.

Read the above, it seems many (not all) Jeep owners are not as educated in performance and sound categories?

Go on the Raptor Forums, the exhaust is not the reason my V6 Raptor does not sound nearly as good as a V8 Raptor.

Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished.

It was a joke. It’s not everyday someone compares a Jeep with a pentastar to a GTR.

Lighten up a little.

(And for the record I’ve owned many performance cars. I know the difference, smarty pants)

Sponsored

OP
OP
yell03

yell03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a joke. It’s not everyday someone compares a Jeep with a pentastar to a GTR.

Lighten up a little.

(And for the record I’ve owned many performance cars. I know the difference, smarty pants)
Oh sh-t, my father turned 80 and is getting cranky with a short fuse, I was wondering when I would get like that, I guess 55 is the age.

At 80 he still drives a new Dodge Charger Scat Pack 392, that car sounds really nice even stock.
He had a 2015 Mustang GT with a manual trans, that needed Roush Mufflers to bring out the sound.

MACjeeps

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Sting Gray, 3.6L | 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Rhino | 1979 CJ5
Today my local garage installed the Borla Climber catback on my 2018 JLUR with the 6 cylinder engine.
I picked it up at rush hour and took a brief 10 minute test drive.
I have to say,I am impressed by how good the Jeep engine sounds, if my GTR would have sounded this good I might have kept it.
Around town it is pretty loud, i can always hear it even with my radio going, that is good.
I took it out on the main road and it seems quiet at highway rpms with no drone,also good, I will confirm this when I have a chance to get it on the highway which might not be until next week.
I am talking a road trip with the wife and both dogs and my German Shepherd prefers the larger area in the back of the Raptor with the seats folded up.

The guy who installed the exhaust thought it sounded like an old BMW 6 cylinder.
I think it sounds like a nice 6 cylinder sports car tone, it definitely would not fit the Raptor's LARGE personality, but it is perfect for the Jeep.

More later after more seat time.
Do you like the sound? I just installed it and I think it is very loud. I am not sure I am going to keep it or I make try to see if there is a way to add the original resonator back in. I think the placement of the muffler near the drivers seat also makes if loud. I like how cleaned up it runs under the Jeep, but maybe a little too loud for daily driving. It is noticeably louder on start up, but when going up hill it whines loudly, not what I expected.

Please post how you are liking it on road trips or further driving impressions. I am still undecided on it. -thanks

OP
OP
yell03

yell03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you like the sound? I just installed it and I think it is very loud. I am not sure I am going to keep it or I make try to see if there is a way to add the original resonator back in. I think the placement of the muffler near the drivers seat also makes if loud. I like how cleaned up it runs under the Jeep, but maybe a little too loud for daily driving. It is noticeably louder on start up, but when going up hill it whines loudly, not what I expected.

Please post how you are liking it on road trips or further driving impressions. I am still undecided on it. -thanks
I still like it.
I have driven may road trips with it and myself, my wife and both dogs have no complaints.
I like fairly loud cars, so maybe going by me is not a good idea.
I run my C7 Z06 on the loudest exhaust mode all the time.

MACjeeps

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Sting Gray, 3.6L | 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Rhino | 1979 CJ5
I still like it.
I have driven may road trips with it and myself, my wife and both dogs have no complaints.
I like fairly loud cars, so maybe going by me is not a good idea.
I run my C7 Z06 on the loudest exhaust mode all the time.
Hopefully it will quiet down a little after running it for a while. Not sure if that is true with Borla's, but I thought I remember a Magnaflow post where they stated that the packing materials fully heat cycle and quieted down after about 1k miles. Otherwise, it may soon be for sale and back to stock. I live where there are a lot of hills and going up steep grades and it really whines at high RPM's. I like it on the flats though. Thanks for your feedback.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Hopefully it will quiet down a little after running it for a while. Not sure if that is true with Borla's, but I thought I remember a Magnaflow post where they stated that the packing materials fully heat cycle and quieted down after about 1k miles. Otherwise, it may soon be for sale and back to stock. I live where there are a lot of hills and going up steep grades and it really whines at high RPM's. I like it on the flats though. Thanks for your feedback.
I'd like to hear what your describing. Can you get a vid while driving up hill?
Sponsored