Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
So as the title says.
Vehicle is a Rubicon.
Wheels are the stock LE wheels and tires are the stock Falken AT 285/70/17.
Rubbing occurs at full lock, worse to the left. It's definitely not the air dam. I crawl under and have my son turn the wheel and it doesn't seem to be rubbing on the shocks or the sway bar links.
Any advice or anyone else encounter this?
Was hoping to get by for awhile without buying aftermarket wheels. Was going to mount some 35s on the stock LE wheels but want to get this rubbing issue resolved first.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
Sponsored

Buck1ze

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Did you put the kit in yourself or had someone do it for you? With the stock wheels and tires still being on there is nothing that should have caused a rub to be occurring now that wasn’t there before. The only possible explanation that I can think of would be if the lower control arms were removed for some reason and put back on upside down. Certainly a puzzling situation.

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you put the kit in yourself or had someone do it for you? With the stock wheels and tires still being on there is nothing that should have caused a rub to be occurring now that wasn’t there before. The only possible explanation that I can think of would be if the lower control arms were removed for some reason and put back on upside down. Certainly a puzzling situation.
I installed myself.
Installed my Mopar 2" lift on my JL myself as well and the Daystar install was very easy and straight forward. The lower control arms were not removed. Something is rubbing for sure when I turn the steering wheel full lock.

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Does Daystar recommend an alignment after install?

I know that when I leveled my F150 (apples to oranges, I know) it seemed to "suck" my OEM wheels inward a little more after the truck was raised. Once I got it aligned my truck looked and drove better.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
that is very odd. I have the same kit and waiting on the time to install. Would love to hear what you find out, to avoid the same situation myself.

Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Is something rubbing or are the springs moving? Are the springs locked in? Springs can bow and touch the bump stops also. Rock Krawler sells front spring correction pads that i have used in the past and they eliminate all bowing of the springs.

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is something rubbing or are the springs moving? Are the springs locked in? Springs can bow and touch the bump stops also. Rock Krawler sells front spring correction pads that i have used in the past and they eliminate all bowing of the springs.
Something is rubbing for sure. No way the springs are moving. Yes, the springs are sitting perfectly on the spring perch. Springs are not touching the bump stops. Haven't heard spring bowing being an issue like it was on the JL Wrangler.

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I figured out where the rubbing was coming from. The inside of the tire is rubbing on the plastic sleeve covering the lower portion of the Fox shock which only comes on the Rubicon. So it looks like my options are wheel spacers or new wheels with a less positive offset than the +44.5 that the factory wheels come in. Of course the other option is just removing the kit altogether.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
So I figured out where the rubbing was coming from. The inside of the tire is rubbing on the plastic sleeve covering the lower portion of the Fox shock which only comes on the Rubicon. So it looks like my options are wheel spacers or new wheels with a less positive offset than the +44.5 that the factory wheels come in. Of course the other option is just removing the kit altogether.
So, does the shock extension move the shock enough to allow contact with the factory wheel/tire setup? that's odd.

JRW

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator
man that's wild...

so the tire is touching the dust shield on the shock? I would think it would rub the body because of the height, it shouldn't rub anything though. I'm running a 1" front spacer with the factory wheels and 35's with no issues, my tires should be slightly wider than yours and make the issue worse.

my only thought was you need a track bar to recenter, but if it's rubbing both sides something else is going on. I'm trying to imagine, but that should only make it rub on the passenger side.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
man that's wild...

so the tire is touching the dust shield on the shock? I would think it would rub the body because of the height, it shouldn't rub anything though. I'm running a 1" front spacer with the factory wheels and 35's with no issues, my tires should be slightly wider than yours and make the issue worse.

my only thought was you need a track bar to recenter, but if it's rubbing both sides something else is going on. I'm trying to imagine, but that should only make it rub on the passenger side.
It's only rubbing on the driver's side when I turn the wheel full lock to the left. I called Daystar today. They are going to speak to their engineers and get back to me.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
If rubbing now, they will still rub, just 1.5” lower if removed, right? They probably work fine with the Rubicon because the axles are wider. Wheel spacers or new wheels should solve it.
It's only rubbing on the driver's side when I turn the wheel full lock to the left. I called Daystar today. They are going to speak to their engineers and get back to me.
can you post a picture? It doesn’t seem like it should be rubbing.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
When you raise the ride height with the stock track bar, it will pull the front axle to the right = pulling your driver’s side tire closer to the frame.
I think you’ll find an adjustable track bar will solve your issue-

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When you raise the ride height with the stock track bar, it will pull the front axle to the right = pulling your driver’s side tire closer to the frame.
I think you’ll find an adjustable track bar will solve your issue-
This actually makes perfect sense.
What I have a problem with is how can Daystar market this kit without disclosing that a front adjustable track bar may be required or a less positive offset aftermarket wheel may be required? My other option is to install wheel spacers but I'm not too keen on going this route.
Sponsored