Sponsored

Installed Teraflex Falcon Nexus 2.2 - steering wheel off center?

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I just got done installing the Teraflex Falcon Nexus 2.2 fast adjust steering stabilizer. I installed on the ground, not lifted or on jacks. I had to unbolt the passenger side of the track bar in order to get to the top 2 bolts of the steering stabilizer on the driver side. I bolted everything back up, using correct torque specs. The stabilizer made a huge difference in the drivability, but I noticed the steering wheel is now off to the left a little bit. I'm not lifted, but am running 285/70r17 Nitto's, just for reference. Is this normal? Worth readjusting the steering wheel or don't mess with it? Have no issues working mechanically, just haven't done suspension/steering work previously. Any ideas, opinions are welcome!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Just to be clear, is the steering wheel slightly to the left while driving in a straight line or was it off slightly after you finished the install and looked at it, but before you drove it?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
Did you have some slop in the steering wheel before? It is possible the stabilizer is pushing slightly against the drag link with enough pressure to remove the slop in the box pushing the steering wheel slightly left, but not enough pressure to overcome the steering box gear lash.

OP
OP

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Yes I did. I've watched and read the thread about adjusting the steering lash, but haven't done anything about it yet. Should I adjust the drag link first to get the wheel correct?

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
No, disconnect the stabilizer, check the free play on the steering wheel and center it, and then follow the thread with the instructions for adjusting the steering box. You may need some heat to soften the locktite. Best of luck!

OP
OP

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Are you referring to the recent thread that had the YouTube video describing tightening the steering “lash”? You would do that before adjusting and centering/straightening the steering wheel?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
Yes and yes.

If you adjust the drag link now to center the steering wheel, you will “center” it off center to the steering box. You need to disconnect one end of your stabilizer, so it stops pushing the drag link towards the currently loose lash point, center the steering wheel so the slop is equal side to side and adjust the steering box. If that is your issue and it is not a bad steering box meaning you cannot adjust out the slop, when you reattach the stabilizer the steering wheel should be centered.

Btw, I’m not familiar with that stabilizer. When you installed the stabilizer was it one of the designs where it is fully extended and you have to compress it to line it up and if you compress it and release it, it returns to fully extended?

Try this: with the engine off, turn the steering wheel to the right until you feel all the slop is out and the steering box gear lash is minimal. The steering wheel should now be slightly to the right of center. Let go of the steering wheel. Does it slowly return to the left of center?

OP
OP

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Yes and yes.

If you adjust the drag link now to center the steering wheel, you will “center” it off center to the steering box. You need to disconnect one end of your stabilizer, so it stops pushing the drag link towards the currently loose lash point, center the steering wheel so the slop is equal side to side and adjust the steering box. If that is your issue and it is not a bad steering box meaning you cannot adjust out the slop, when you reattach the stabilizer the steering wheel should be centered.

Btw, I’m not familiar with that stabilizer. When you installed the stabilizer was it one of the designs where it is fully extended and you have to compress it to line it up and if you compress it and release it, it returns to fully extended?

Try this: with the engine off, turn the steering wheel to the right until you feel all the slop is out and the steering box gear lash is minimal. The steering wheel should now be slightly to the right of center. Let go of the steering wheel. Does it slowly return to the left of center?
First - thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

Second - the Teraflex Falcon Nexus 2.2 was extended when I pulled it out of the box (has 3 settings - soft, medium, and firm). I flipped it to soft and had to push it in before I bolted it up. It doesn't return to fully extend when I released it. Stays compressed.

Third - I just tried what you said. Turned the Jeep on, backed up and pulled forward to make sure everything was straight, including the steering wheel. Turned the Jeep off. The steering wheel (which is obviously now harder to turn when off) was turned to the right to get the slop out. When I let go it snapped back to center, not left of center. Did this 3 times to verify - straight back to the original position, ie, center.

Not sure if this helps describe the issue. I just spent the last hour reading through the Bad Steering Box thread and trying to figure out if I want to do the adjustment or try the dealer for the deadspot/fload I'm experiencing (separate issue from the required left of center hold to go straight...)

Last edited:
OP
OP

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I just tried the fuse pull for grins, did nothing. It definitely needs a tilt to the left to keep it tracking straight down the road. Whatever I did by installing the Falcon stabilizer exacerbated the issue, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how. I double checked the torque of the track bar bolt to verify. I guess I’ll be scheduling a visit to the dealership before I start making any adjustments.
Sponsored