First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Eco Diesel
Occupation
Union Carpenter
They exist wayyyyyy more complex than I imagined . 67 steps..... correction only 21 steps if you have the 7 pin in the back already and installed pic added. Install was a nightmare multiple issues ,ill explain soon

1. There is a control box that gets mounted under the dash, in the instructions its pictured with the wiring ports towards the mounting studs on the backing plate. Mine was mounted opposite out of the box . I flipped mine to match pics in instructions as it made it easier to plug in wires and I am concerned that it functions by momentum as you stop and increase based on that. I did test with a volt meter after install and on level 10 if I push trailer brake button I get 12v , if brakes are pushed sitting in garage I get about 5 , I assume that's because of no forward momentum. Hopefully flipping mine to match instructions was correct . If anyone could please unbox and take a picture to show how yours is I would appreciate it.

2. This was the worst and took hours to realize and overcome. Instructions have you install the number knob on face of dash first with number 1 facing up , then clip on the dial box to the back side, makes since. Mine would not clip together at all never felt completely correct. Finally after trying forever I took everything back out of the jeep and tried installing it to itself outside of the dash. I then realized the box had to be rotate all the way counter clock wise to be in position 1, which mine was. I then realized the knob had different sized groves and could only slip over the splined center shaft of the box only one way. When mine would slip on correctly number 4 was at the top and it would then only rotate a few clicks as it would hit a stop. After further inspection I realized the splined center shaft was clipped together and could be clocked. I had to take apart the center splined shaft and rotate it 90 degrees to have it in the proper position for number 1 to be at the top when the box was in position one. This was nerve racking as its small cheap plastic and very easily breakable. After doing this I went back to the jeep and everything went right together smoothly.

Hopefully this was a fluke and only mine was made wrong , but if this was made by a machine then its clocked wrong and there is about to be a lot of upset people.

FB_IMG_1603937973415.jpg

20201028_202011.jpg

20201028_194257.jpg

20201028_194306.jpg

20201028_194316.jpg

20201028_202643.jpg
Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
They exist wayyyyyy more complex than I imagined . 67 steps..... correction only 21 steps if you have the 7 pin in the back already and installed pic added. Install was a nightmare multiple issues ,ill explain soon

1. There is a control box that gets mounted under the dash, in the instructions its pictured with the wiring ports towards the mounting studs on the backing plate. Mine was mounted opposite out of the box . I flipped mine to match pics in instructions as it made it easier to plug in wires and I am concerned that it functions by momentum as you stop and increase based on that. I did test with a volt meter after install and on level 10 if I push trailer brake button I get 12v , if brakes are pushed sitting in garage I get about 5 , I assume that's because of no forward momentum. Hopefully flipping mine to match instructions was correct . If anyone could please unbox and take a picture to show how yours is I would appreciate it.

2. This was the worst and took hours to realize and overcome. Instructions have you install the number knob on face of dash first with number 1 facing up , then clip on the dial box to the back side, makes since. Mine would not clip together at all never felt completely correct. Finally after trying forever I took everything back out of the jeep and tried installing it to itself outside of the dash. I then realized the box had to be rotate all the way counter clock wise to be in position 1, which mine was. I then realized the knob had different sized groves and could only slip over the splined center shaft of the box only one way. When mine would slip on correctly number 4 was at the top and it would then only rotate a few clicks as it would hit a stop. After further inspection I realized the splined center shaft was clipped together and could be clocked. I had to take apart the center splined shaft and rotate it 90 degrees to have it in the proper position for number 1 to be at the top when the box was in position one. This was nerve racking as its small cheap plastic and very easily breakable. After doing this I went back to the jeep and everything went right together smoothly.

Hopefully this was a fluke and only mine was made wrong , but if this was made by a machine then its clocked wrong and there is about to be a lot of upset people.

Jeep Gladiator Installed the oem brake controller 20201028_202643

Does anyone know what the Dealers are charging to install?

gpwrang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ 2021 Hydro Blue JTSS MAX TOW

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.
I'm NO NOVICE to this sort of thing - let me preface it with that. I've installed exremely complex stereo systems, custom gauges, and have done more auto electric work than my back likes, but this thing is the worst setup I've seen in ages, especially the instructions.
Dealers are not getting paid enough.
First, like mentioned above, the box is wrong on the bracket. It needs to be flipped to match the picture.
Next thing - I couldn't find two holes - they simply were not there.
For the "bottom" they showed two holes and point to one saying remove the harness strap and use that hole.
That hole on mine was empty - that's the good part.
The bad - the harness was strapped using the TOP hole. It took me half an hour to figure that out and get that $%@#$ strap out to open up that hole.
Geesh this thing is a TIGHT damn fit. And it sits at a slant. Not level like I expected.
I don't know if my truck is an outlier or what, but taking that top harness strap out to free that hole was a nightmare because the wiring harness is far, thick and in the way to reach up there.
Once you get the thing mounted, I wasn't able to get to the top nut - the harness again - in the way. So I may have to use a series of extensions and flex joints to try to reach it. Why the heck did they choose that spot? The connectors on the box will be right up against that wiring harness hard. And then the brake controller harness in the truck - it's right there against the control box so you have this huge long coil of cable that only needs 4" instead of 18" to be connected. A ton of excess wire to connect.
Mine also has some other wires routed under a bracket and strapped hard against the bottom sharp edge of the bracket instead of above it like they show the controler knob wiring running. Wish I could re-route my truck wiring to match where they have the knob wiring run above that bracket. Seeing all this I'm afraid my factory wiring is going to rub and cut through on that brace down there.

Basically this controller is the controller from hell to get worked into place - at least in my truck.
The only easy part was the knob or control part in the spot for the 12v outlet!
That was a piece of cake and went in in seconds. OF course I'd had the center of my dash apart to put the Redarc in, but still, that part was easy.

I hope you young guys have very good flexible backs and arms -getting that box in place is a living nightmare. I started 2 hours ago - am finally almost getting close but still am not at all, not one bit happy where they mount this thing, that it sits up there at an angle, and it's shoved hard as heck against the bracket it's mounted to and you have to really screw with wires to get things plugged in.
Those connectors will be shoved hard against my other wiring. Not at all happy with that big coil of wire up there.
Why did they mount that box shoved against that fat harness and right against where it needs to connect to the truck wiring?

My thinking - if you are happy with your Redarc - KEEP IT.
This won't integrate with the truck's electronics any better or different. It will look better on the dash - but the rest, I think I made a mistake.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Markkabureck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Thanks.
I'm NO NOVICE to this sort of thing - let me preface it with that. I've installed exremely complex stereo systems, custom gauges, and have done more auto electric work than my back likes, but this thing is the worst setup I've seen in ages, especially the instructions.
Dealers are not getting paid enough.
First, like mentioned above, the box is wrong on the bracket. It needs to be flipped to match the picture.
Next thing - I couldn't find two holes - they simply were not there.
For the "bottom" they showed two holes and point to one saying remove the harness strap and use that hole.
That hole on mine was empty - that's the good part.
The bad - the harness was strapped using the TOP hole. It took me half an hour to figure that out and get that $%@#$ strap out to open up that hole.
Geesh this thing is a TIGHT damn fit. And it sits at a slant. Not level like I expected.
I don't know if my truck is an outlier or what, but taking that top harness strap out to free that hole was a nightmare because the wiring harness is far, thick and in the way to reach up there.
Once you get the thing mounted, I wasn't able to get to the top nut - the harness again - in the way. So I may have to use a series of extensions and flex joints to try to reach it. Why the heck did they choose that spot? The connectors on the box will be right up against that wiring harness hard. And then the brake controller harness in the truck - it's right there against the control box so you have this huge long coil of cable that only needs 4" instead of 18" to be connected. A ton of excess wire to connect.
Mine also has some other wires routed under a bracket and strapped hard against the bottom sharp edge of the bracket instead of above it like they show the controler knob wiring running. Wish I could re-route my truck wiring to match where they have the knob wiring run above that bracket. Seeing all this I'm afraid my factory wiring is going to rub and cut through on that brace down there.

Basically this controller is the controller from hell to get worked into place - at least in my truck.
The only easy part was the knob or control part in the spot for the 12v outlet!
That was a piece of cake and went in in seconds. OF course I'd had the center of my dash apart to put the Redarc in, but still, that part was easy.

I hope you young guys have very good flexible backs and arms -getting that box in place is a living nightmare. I started 2 hours ago - am finally almost getting close but still am not at all, not one bit happy where they mount this thing, that it sits up there at an angle, and it's shoved hard as heck against the bracket it's mounted to and you have to really screw with wires to get things plugged in.
Those connectors will be shoved hard against my other wiring. Not at all happy with that big coil of wire up there.
Why did they mount that box shoved against that fat harness and right against where it needs to connect to the truck wiring?

My thinking - if you are happy with your Redarc - KEEP IT.
This won't integrate with the truck's electronics any better or different. It will look better on the dash - but the rest, I think I made a mistake.
I totally understand what you are saying about under the dash. I did have both holes after unfastened wiring harness , it was a pain but I got it , and I was able to tighten the nut with a ratchet wrench tucked under the harness. Also agree we have a lot of writing right there for nothing , I tucked it behind the box once mounted. Be glad your dash piece was correct mine was a nightmare as I assume you read

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I totally understand what you are saying about under the dash. I did have both holes after unfastened wiring harness , it was a pain but I got it , and I was able to tighten the nut with a ratchet wrench tucked under the harness. Also agree we have a lot of writing right there for nothing , I tucked it behind the box once mounted. Be glad your dash piece was correct mine was a nightmare as I assume you read
My dash part was thankfully fine and easy. I totally agree - man, is that thing cheap and fragile. If you even so much as dropped it, it would likely break off that thin part that gives light to the dial. It's really thin and small. It's so light and cheap compared to the Redarc.

I ended up having to turn my box back around on the bracket and install it opposite of the instructions. There is no way at all to get my wires plugged in. They show plugging the wires in first but I tried that and fought for almost half an hour. With the wires plugged in first, you can't get that top stud through the hole! It's the stupidest place to mount possible. There's so much space in other places, I just don't get it. We've been mounting other controllers that are about 40% larger up there with no issue - but this thing.
I'll get it but I'm not impressed with the quality, especially the instructions where there are at least 6 pictures that totally contradict how the thing arrives in the box. They all show the wiring facing you - to the rear of the truck, but I was not able to make that work.
Will this actually function installed backwards? Time will tell - I'll be really ticked if I have to rip it all apart and turn that thing around. Maybe cutting those 10" studs down half-way would make it easier LOL - man, 36" of wire - I measured it - and you need maybe a foot TOPS.
I can tell this was a rush job made in Mexico, instructions likely from China.

OP
OP

Markkabureck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union Carpenter
My dash part was thankfully fine and easy. I totally agree - man, is that thing cheap and fragile. If you even so much as dropped it, it would likely break off that thin part that gives light to the dial. It's really thin and small. It's so light and cheap compared to the Redarc.

I ended up having to turn my box back around on the bracket and install it opposite of the instructions. There is no way at all to get my wires plugged in. They show plugging the wires in first but I tried that and fought for almost half an hour. With the wires plugged in first, you can't get that top stud through the hole! It's the stupidest place to mount possible. There's so much space in other places, I just don't get it. We've been mounting other controllers that are about 40% larger up there with no issue - but this thing.
I'll get it but I'm not impressed with the quality, especially the instructions where there are at least 6 pictures that totally contradict how the thing arrives in the box. They all show the wiring facing you - to the rear of the truck, but I was not able to make that work.
Will this actually function installed backwards? Time will tell - I'll be really ticked if I have to rip it all apart and turn that thing around. Maybe cutting those 10" studs down half-way would make it easier LOL - man, 36" of wire - I measured it - and you need maybe a foot TOPS.
I can tell this was a rush job made in Mexico, instructions likely from China.

Once fully tightened i was able to connect the wires fairly easily , ill take a pic in 30 minutes when I get home . Totally agree on everything you said , its a joke . Hope mine lights up with a trailer plugged in..........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Once fully tightened i was able to connect the wires fairly easily , ill take a pic in 30 minutes when I get home . Totally agree on everything you said , its a joke . Hope mine lights up with a trailer plugged in..........
I ended up turning the box back the way it came, backwards of the picture. There was no way... maybe my truck has more electronics or something but that big bundle of wires simply would not move and I even tried to pry it out of the way with a long screwdriver to give me some space. Every time I let it go, it sprang right back up against the controller plugs again - I was never able to get wires plugged into it that way, worse, I wasn't even able to do as they instructed and plug them in first. What a joke - no way. There's so much wire under there it reminds me of an old Ma Bell switch room - big fat wrapped bundles with branches going everywhere.
If it doesn't work up-side-down (according to the pitures, all of them, at least 6) I'll have to remove it again and redo the whole bloody thing.
I just could not get those wires to budge out of the way - nor could I get those long studs through that brace with the wires plugged in like they show it.
The dope that drew that up obviously never actually installed one - and worse, the way it's shipped is not how the pictures show.

I did not try it -almost afraid to hook my trailer to it and find it won't actually apply brakes with it installed backwards of the pictures - in other words, how it was shipped.
But I did push the button - this thing is loud - it clicks noticably when you press the button. I never heard that with the Redarc.

So, I'd love to see if someone actually installed is as it CAME and not how it's pictured - and if they actually TRIED it with a trailer.
Just pushing the button to see if there's power back there ain't any sort of test at all of how the box will work.

OP
OP

Markkabureck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I ended up turning the box back the way it came, backwards of the picture. There was no way... maybe my truck has more electronics or something but that big bundle of wires simply would not move and I even tried to pry it out of the way with a long screwdriver to give me some space. Every time I let it go, it sprang right back up against the controller plugs again - I was never able to get wires plugged into it that way, worse, I wasn't even able to do as they instructed and plug them in first. What a joke - no way. There's so much wire under there it reminds me of an old Ma Bell switch room - big fat wrapped bundles with branches going everywhere.
If it doesn't work up-side-down (according to the pitures, all of them, at least 6) I'll have to remove it again and redo the whole bloody thing.
I just could not get those wires to budge out of the way - nor could I get those long studs through that brace with the wires plugged in like they show it.
The dope that drew that up obviously never actually installed one - and worse, the way it's shipped is not how the pictures show.

I did not try it -almost afraid to hook my trailer to it and find it won't actually apply brakes with it installed backwards of the pictures - in other words, how it was shipped.
But I did push the button - this thing is loud - it clicks noticably when you press the button. I never heard that with the Redarc.

So, I'd love to see if someone actually installed is as it CAME and not how it's pictured - and if they actually TRIED it with a trailer.
Just pushing the button to see if there's power back there ain't any sort of test at all of how the box will work.
Its doable and my truck has every option so as most wires as possible

20201030_170946.jpg

20201030_170938.jpg

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
By golly, you got it.
Still not impressed with this thing, though. It doesn't light at night, and it's not ready for primetime, either - don't even think about touching that button if the truck is running!
The bloody thing is NOT isolated from the brake lights and will light up your dash like a Christmas tree and disable 4 things - stability control/traction control, ESS, collision prevention, etc.
The only way to recover is shut down and restart.

I'm so not impressed and so upset with this thing, how cheap it's made, how cheap and not smooth the dial feels, the fact if you touch that button it triggers cluster faults, and more - I'm just this close to ripping it out, putting the Redarc back and trashing this thing.
It was a very expensive mistake.

OP
OP

Markkabureck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union Carpenter
By golly, you got it.
Still not impressed with this thing, though. It doesn't light at night, and it's not ready for primetime, either - don't even think about touching that button if the truck is running!
The bloody thing is NOT isolated from the brake lights and will light up your dash like a Christmas tree and disable 4 things - stability control/traction control, ESS, collision prevention, etc.
The only way to recover is shut down and restart.

I'm so not impressed and so upset with this thing, how cheap it's made, how cheap and not smooth the dial feels, the fact if you touch that button it triggers cluster faults, and more - I'm just this close to ripping it out, putting the Redarc back and trashing this thing.
It was a very expensive mistake.

Again agreed , now it lights up at night, after hooking to a trailer , but apparently doesn't go off, lol what a deal. Honestly works great tho for stopping a trailer

20201030_184245.jpg

20201030_184122.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did not light when I turned the lights on.
I'm EXTREMELY disappointed and not sure I'm going to even keep it.

OP
OP

Markkabureck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Hook it to a trailer