Sponsored

Installing a lift kit on your own Vs local 4x4 shop

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
So, for my needs I finally decided on ICON Vehicle Dynamics 2.5" suspension lift kit and their steering stabilizer. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I have never done such an install. The local reputable 4x4 shop quoted me $780 for the install including taxes. The price seems fair to me and I don't mind paying the shop tbh. Is this something one can do at home for a first time installer? I have all the tools and really want to do it myself just so that I know my truck when I take it overlanding... Is there any gotchas I need to worry about on a DIY install? Or I do the install and take it to a shop for alignment? Or just let the shop handle it?

Thanks for the advice/suggestions/recommendations!
Sponsored

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
As a brief tangent, looking at this lift:

yiA99uI.jpg

… you might want to consider, at minimum, adding an adjustable track bar, given that you're going up 2.5" up front. But I defer to those with greater expertise on here than do I have.

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Interesting, I don't plan on rock crawling but if an adjustable track bar is absolutely necessary for overlanding while on some light to medium trails I will consider adding one, esp if it adds more lateral stability and reduces wobble?

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, I don't plan on rock crawling but if an adjustable track bar is absolutely necessary for overlanding while on some light to medium trails I will consider adding one, esp if it adds more lateral stability and reduces wobble?
Again, I'm no expert, but I think the advantage would be to making it able to align more properly, mostly for asphalt driving. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgeable than me will weigh in.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Your track bar aligns the axle side to side by mounting laterally between the axle and frame. When you lift the frame the shorter track bar will pull your axle to the side. An adjustable track bar has a threaded fitting on the end so you can essentially make it the proper length to keep your axle centered under the vehicle. Short lifts (1” or so) aren’t usually enough to cause the axle to be off centered enough to worry about but a 2&1/2” lift “may” push the axle over as much as 1” thus necessitating and adjustable track bar to recenter things. Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That lift is definitely something you should be able to do with general mechanical skills and tools (to include a floor jack and at least 2 stands). While an adjustable track bar will allow you to center your axle after the lift, 2.5” should only pull the axle to the driver’s side about 1/2” or so. You should also be able to recenter the steering on your own following lifting, negating the need for an alignment. That kit doesn’t include any adjustable items, so that’s the only thing which should be done after. Have fun!

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
What he said. ;). Did the two lifts on my JK in my garage. First was a 2&1/2” spacer lift that had a track bar relocation bracket included. The second was putting in 3” lift springs in place of the stock ones with spacers. Wasn’t sure how much that lift would move your axle off center. The 3” on my jk moved it 3/4” or so but the track bar bracket put it right back. As far as alignment, I measured the distance of the toe (front of tires from edge of tread to edge of tread, as close to center height as you can) before putting in the lift and then after. If I remember correctly I had to adjust the tie rod ends just a little bit to put the toe in back where it was. Never needed any alignment. Ran straight with no funny tire wear.
Just take your time, follow the instructions, use common sense and enjoy the sense of pride that you did it yourself.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
So, for my needs I finally decided on ICON Vehicle Dynamics 2.5" suspension lift kit and their steering stabilizer. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I have never done such an install. The local reputable 4x4 shop quoted me $780 for the install including taxes. The price seems fair to me and I don't mind paying the shop tbh. Is this something one can do at home for a first time installer? I have all the tools and really want to do it myself just so that I know my truck when I take it overlanding... Is there any gotchas I need to worry about on a DIY install? Or I do the install and take it to a shop for alignment? Or just let the shop handle it?

What your looking at doing is pretty basic, your not adding control arms and your not touching the rear of the truck. Save your $780 and do it yourself.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
yeah it's easy you can do it & you really wont need a adjustable track bar or an alignment you might have to adjust your Drag-link to center your steering wheel very easy. even if you needed to do alignment that's easy also adjusting your toe in or out .

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not knowing your mechanical background, if you have changed shocks, u-joints and few other things it's doable. I've done quite a few in my driveway in past. If nothing else find a fellow Jeeper that works on his/her own stuff.... Easy to find if not in large metro area. It will probably be the dented, scratched and beat up Jeep. Part of reason I have done and helped do them. ;)

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
You NEED to do it yourself. If you plan on overlanding, you need to know where what is and how it's on, in case you ever need to fix something. Also, you can make sure it's done right. Do it yourself, you'll be glad you did.

Rdaharsh1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)
I put this lift on by myself very easy. I used two floor jacks and 4 jack stands, no problem. There is one small bolt that is a pain in the ass, if you have big hands. Nothing that some tape, universal socket cant fix. One bit of advice, check all of your boxes thoroughly and do a parts inventory before starting. It will save you from finding parts in boxes when you just finished the last step.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant

Absolutely doable at home by yourself. A son or a friend to hand you stuff helps but still very much a straight forward install with 2 jack stands, a floor jack, a nice socket set, a breaker bar, and an assortment of wrenches. You will learn a whole bunch about your Gladiator’s suspension and will feel a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when you are finished.

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland; 1980 CJ5 Golden Eagle
This is definitely easily done and well worth the time to learn. As someone else mentioned, you can find someone to help. You must have a local Jeep club. Set up a wrenching party one Saturday and offer pizza or something. You will get help and if you have the space, maybe some other vehicles will show up needing something done and you will learn even more. For the cost of a few pizzas, or some burgers and dogs, not only do you save the $780 but can lean some valuable skills and meet some folks you can continue to learn from.
Sponsored