First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I'd like to install a DEI microwave motion sensor, and wire it to the factory system, for protection when the top and doors are off. Since I have the Sirius Guardian package, it would alert me on my phone. I'm thinking that I'd wire the sensor to the hood pin, so that it basically thinks someone opened the hood. (I have the Tazer JL set to alarm on hood opening.). Wondering if anyone has done this, and/or has ideas about it.

Potential problems:

While driving around, it will sense me moving, and basically "open" the hood. Will I get warnings on the dash? That would be annoying. The solution would be to figure out a way to only arm it when the alarm is armed, if that's even possible. No, a manual switch would not work for me, I'd forget it.

The Tazer translates the hood opening to a panic alarm. Will that then go to Sirius? Need to test this later when I have some time.

Other thoughts?
Sponsored

jdysart

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 50th Anniversary, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Programmer
Vehicle Showcase
This should be fairly easy to accomplish. You would need to find a wire that either goes to ground when the vehicle is put in park or you could use a relay that when 12v is detected on the vehicle being placed in park it switches a ground on. This way your DEI 508D will get the Ground When armed connected and only be active when the vehicle is in park. Then you should be able to connect the Blue trigger wire to a relay that will disconnect the hood pin switch and trigger your alert/alarm. You will not have any warn away function, but everything else should work.

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, though finding a wire that is on or grounded when parked, armed, or just ignition off is a total crapshoot. Hence the question here.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Could you use the driver's seat weight sensor to trigger an NC relay? When you sit in it, it opens the relay, when you get out, it closes it?

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
That was an interesting idea and it reminded me that with decades of electronics experience, I can still be a complete idiot. An ignition wire can power a relay, and the microwave sensor would just be wired to the NC side of it instead of the NO side. Now I feel really dumb.

Still hoping to hear from anyone who has done it.

Sponsored

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was an interesting idea and it reminded me that with decades of electronics experience, I can still be a complete idiot. An ignition wire can power a relay, and the microwave sensor would just be wired to the NC side of it instead of the NO side. Now I feel really dumb.

Still hoping to hear from anyone who has done it.
Don't feel too bad, no one else thought of it either. If you have the aux switches, you can use the ignition wire to trigger the relay and the battery wire to power sensor.

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Now those are great ideas. I haven't looked yet, just know that there's a constant 12v and ground under the glovebox. Is there also an ignition power right there? (I do have the switches option.)

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, there's a total of 6 wires behind the glove box: the 4 switch controlled wires, one connected to the battery, and one that's ignition controlled.

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Well this suddenly became super easy.

Also, my plan is to just put a piezo buzzer on the "warn away" zone unless someone has better ideas. For anyone unfamiliar, it just makes a high frequency tone that's pretty annoying and loud.

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Any updates on this? Also, has anyone wired an NC switch to rolling tonneau cover to alarm if opened, assuming it can be wired to work the same as the hood switch?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I set this aside. I won't be running without doors/top for a few months, just too hot. So my priorities are elsewhere now.

Wiring additional pin switches isn't a big deal, but realize that the hood DOES NOT alarm by default! Stupid. If you have the Tazer JL you can program it to have the hood switch basically do a panic button alarm.

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
I set this aside. I won't be running without doors/top for a few months, just too hot. So my priorities are elsewhere now.

Wiring additional pin switches isn't a big deal, but realize that the hood DOES NOT alarm by default! Stupid. If you have the Tazer JL you can program it to have the hood switch basically do a panic button alarm.
I am told you can also program this with a special cable and the JSCAN app for less than $100. Do you know if this is true?

teleportJeep

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Over the weekend I changed a few settings for the hood ajar alarm with the JSCAN app and I could only get it to go off

By alarming the truck, opening the hood(no sound) and then closing the hood(sound).

I couldn't get the alarm to go off by opening the hood.

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Over the weekend I changed a few settings for the hood ajar alarm with the JSCAN app and I could only get it to go off

By alarming the truck, opening the hood(no sound) and then closing the hood(sound).

I couldn't get the alarm to go off by opening the hood.
I assume you have the special 12+8 cable? I have seen other posts on the JSCAN thread that people say it can be done. If not, that is discouraging, as I didn't want to spring for Tazer

teleportJeep

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Yes - JSCAN works great got my tire size change, aux switches and tpms without any issues.
Sponsored