donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm relocating from Florida to Pennsylvania in a couple weeks, driving my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport (JL).

I am a concealed carry permit holder here in Florida, a state that has reciprocity agreements with most states, unfortunately Maryland isn't one of them.

I can easily swing West to avoid Maryland, but I want to be prepared in case I need or decide to go through it. Depends on things pan out.

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 2.15.45 PM.png

I checked the Maryland gun transport laws, and since the Jeep doesn't have non passenger compartment, I can store my unloaded handgun in a locked storage box.

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 2.26.18 PM.png

I've transported handguns in the past using gun safes secured by cable. This time I want a solution that bolts down, but I don't want to drill any holes.

After some searching, decided to get a Smittybilt Secure Lock Box 2746, which comes with a sleeve you can bolt down, and a case you can easily unlock and take with you.

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 2.51.52 PM.png

I'm going to measure the distance between the seat mounting bolts, to see if I can get a plate cut, where it can secure to the seat bolts, while the case sleeve bolts to the plate.

Does this seem like a good way to secure the box? Didn't see any real solutions on their site for securing the sleeve.

How is this relevant to this Jeep forum? Why don't I just go around Maryland? Well, I could, and I might, but I figured you guys do so much modification, this may be a bridge someone already crossed? :)

TIA,
Don
Sponsored

Last edited:

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
whatever you do, don't stop in NJ! the state gov't here despises the 2A and they prosecute any law abiding citizen who practices it. if you have to drive through, keep it unloaded and locked in the back, and keep the ammo in a separate box. as long as you do that, the federal transport laws should be sufficient.

as a NJ resident, it is a felony for me to stop and pee while transporting a weapon from my home to the range/gunsmith/personal business location/other residence. transporting to any other location is also a felony. this is what happens when people don't fight for their rights. let that be a lesson.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
as a NJ resident, it is a felony for me to stop and pee while transporting a weapon from my home to the range/gunsmith/personal business location/other residence.
NJ doesn't recognize Florida concealed carry license either.

I seem to remember hollow points being illegal there too.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I'm relocating from Florida to Pennsylvania in a couple weeks, driving my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport (JL).

I am a concealed carry permit holder here in Florida, a state that has reciprocity agreements with most states, unfortunately Maryland isn't one of them.

I can easily swing West to avoid Maryland, but I want to be prepared in case I need or decide to go through it. Depends on things pan out.

I checked the Maryland gun transport laws, and since the Jeep doesn't have non passenger compartment, I can store my unloaded handgun in a locked storage box.

Don
If you go up route 15 via Leesburg VA to Frederick MD you'll only be in Maryland for less than an hour. It also a nice drive.

Are you looking for a solution for longer term storage for misc items?

Sponsored

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
i’m Im probably going to go around MD. I have 45 of storage paid for by the new company.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
actually hollow points are ok. unless you commit a crime, in which case you get an additional charge per round.
Thanks didn’t know that. Fortunately NJ is past my destination. :)

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Yes wont work for me, since I need quick draw in all states that have reciprocity with FL.
Sorry, I'm confused. I read in your original post that you wanted a device for an unloaded handgun while traveling through MD?

Sponsored

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I'm confused. I read in your original post that you wanted a device for an unloaded handgun while traveling through MD?
FL has concealed carry reciprocity with every state along my route but MD. MD has draconian rules like:

“Vehicle carry and transportation: loaded, readily accessible handguns prohibited”

Been though there in the past, locked and unloaded in console isn’t always going to result in being waved by.

DinDinh04

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR Stingray
Just unload and separate the magazine from the firearm. You wont have any issue with any LEOs if you follow the rules of the road. If you do get pulled over, just inform the officer where you are going. They'll most likely will run the serial number to check if its stolen and if you are allowed to own a firearm.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just unload and separate the magazine from the firearm. You wont have any issue with any LEOs if you follow the rules of the road. If you do get pulled over, just inform the officer where you are going. They'll most likely will run the serial number to check if its stolen and if you are allowed to own a firearm.
New Jersey and Maryland have similar laws, where I can pass through since my Florida CHL is respected in Pennsylvania.

For those two states, firearms needs to be "unloaded and in a locked box", where the word "unloaded" can be (mis)interpreted by police officers.

For Jeep owners, the entire vehicle is the "passenger compartment", so we can't lock our handgun (even unloaded) in the glovebox or console.

I was stopped once in Illinois, driving from TX to MN for a convention. I handed the officer my Texas ID, Texas CHL, and PBA card. He asked if I had a gun in the car, told him its in a locked box under the passenger seat (Honda CR-V).

He asked me if he and his partner could search my car, of course I was happy to oblige. We unlocked the box, and had a healthy conversation about what "unloaded" meant.

The officer's opinion was the rounds needed to be removed from the magazine and stored in a separate locked box.

His partner's opinion was the magazines just couldn't be inserted into the firearm, this was also my interpretation.

They let me go, and shook my hand because of the PBA card, and because I voluntarily handed them all three cards.

I travel cross country a lot. Sometimes on my Harley, sometimes in my CR-V (before I traded earlier this month for the Jeep. :)

I blog about my trips, go to donmontalvo.com and scroll to August 4th-25th for my three week, 7,000 motorcycle vacation...I really should blog about the four times I was stopped and never had a problem because my handgun was in my #2A vest, and all the states I traveled through respected my FL CHL. :)

I really appreciate all the feedback, we never stop learning. The day we do, we may as well hang up our Harleys and Jeeps.

Thanks,
Don

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
By the way...the original post was about how the heck do I secure the Smittybilt box under the passenger seat without drilling holes.

I may have found the answer, a friend is planning to cut a plate with four holes to attach to the seat bracket, and four holes to attach the box to the plate.

This would mean I'd have to move the passenger seat a bit to get to the box if I had to...which is fine, since non-#2A friendly states want the bad guy to shoot you anyways. :)

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
If you go up route 15 via Leesburg VA to Frederick MD you'll only be in Maryland for less than an hour. It also a nice drive.

I go 17 to 64 in Winchester. Then you're in The People's Republic of Maryland for only 12 miles as you pass thru to PA.
Sponsored