Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
This took about an hour. Had about $130 in materials and came out looking clean. I used 2) 48" sections (mine came from US Cargo Control, available on Amazon. Other makers as well. They have an amazing assortment of quick attach rings and mountings for L track which is why I choose it as well as being very clean looking.
Also used
about 20 rivet nuts 1/4x20 and countersunk Allen bolts
Rivet nut installer
1/4 and 3/8 drill bit (use good sharp ones)
1/4 and 3/8 drill stop collars (you need these) unless you like dimples on the outside of the bed.

The predrilled holes are 6" on center 1/4 countersunk. None interfered with the existing threaded holes in bed.

8fu6A2UuQLa6l0qZmLfKFU2Y-zHlmfWwFwSMv2TH7Xbppd-L7f4O0T2HdoXS_FKmqh6mFz4bz3kRBAwmsv4=w165-h220-no.jpg

The 1st step was tapping the rear existing threaded hole in bed to 1/4x20. That located the track nicely then I installed the stop collar about 3/4" up on the 1/4"bit, located the L track on center and drill the hole closest to the cab.
uY-P3EEeal5cOfkmv7mt58uTx_-aUvXcLDE1-Mv7ukRkyxHgNGfORY_IzKIMg1xRAGa0JmhZQh-_Ah920=w1404-h1870-no.jpg

96ayPrzZm48unL54pc0_HNCwR1A-qetzgKpf7WT59Amr7Nm_C4i3pdsBNQvbVndey5GaJ_S1-BsAncnCA=w1404-h1870-no.jpg

Next I lowered the track back down and installed a stop collar 3/4" down on the 3/8" bit and drilled it. Then installed the 1st rivet nut. Bolted it back up, chucked up the 1/4 bit again and drilled and the remaining holes. Removed the two bolts holding the L track. and installed rivet nuts in the rest of the holes. The reason for doing it this way is you don't have much windage to work with on the holes in the track and precision is everything.
bLRTKUBItCJugduUJvQiXngiNpuu3rkLfkd5OQOT4sQuJyrsbUjF-NoFZKXlyyKfecPMhnq5lgrOCniis=w2494-h1870-no.jpg

The last step I did prior to install was I had to increase the countersink size because the Allen bolts I used did not sit flush with the track. Probably makes little difference but my OCD kicked in and off to the races we went.

Finshed and bolted

u6A2UuQLa6l0qZmLfKFU2Y-zHlmfWwFwSMv2TH7Xbppd-L7f4O0T2HdoXS_FKmqh6mFz4bz3kRBAwmsv4=w1404-h1870-no.jpg
Sponsored

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
This is a must have. This is probably one of the cheapest easiest mods I did on my Tacoma. If I decide to get a JT, I will add l track to the sides but also the floor of the bed. On my Tacoma it took some planning to do the track on the floor of the bed. The Tacoma had alot of emission stuff towards the front of the bed.

Do you plan on adding track to the bed floor ?

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
This took about an hour. Had about $130 in materials and came out looking clean. I used 2) 48" sections (mine came from US Cargo Control, available on Amazon. Other makers as well. They have an amazing assortment of quick attach rings and mountings for L track which is why I choose it as well as being very clean looking.
Also used
about 20 rivet nuts 1/4x20 and countersunk Allen bolts
Rivet nut installer
1/4 and 3/8 drill bit (use good sharp ones)
1/4 and 3/8 drill stop collars (you need these) unless you like dimples on the outside of the bed.

The predrilled holes are 6" on center 1/4 countersunk. None interfered with the existing threaded holes in bed.

8fu6A2UuQLa6l0qZmLfKFU2Y-zHlmfWwFwSMv2TH7Xbppd-L7f4O0T2HdoXS_FKmqh6mFz4bz3kRBAwmsv4=w165-h220-no.jpg

The 1st step was tapping the rear existing threaded hole in bed to 1/4x20. That located the track nicely then I installed the stop collar about 3/4" up on the 1/4"bit, located the L track on center and drill the hole closest to the cab.
uY-P3EEeal5cOfkmv7mt58uTx_-aUvXcLDE1-Mv7ukRkyxHgNGfORY_IzKIMg1xRAGa0JmhZQh-_Ah920=w1404-h1870-no.jpg

96ayPrzZm48unL54pc0_HNCwR1A-qetzgKpf7WT59Amr7Nm_C4i3pdsBNQvbVndey5GaJ_S1-BsAncnCA=w1404-h1870-no.jpg

Next I lowered the track back down and installed a stop collar 3/4" down on the 3/8" bit and drilled it. Then installed the 1st rivet nut. Bolted it back up, chucked up the 1/4 bit again and drilled and the remaining holes. Removed the two bolts holding the L track. and installed rivet nuts in the rest of the holes. The reason for doing it this way is you don't have much windage to work with on the holes in the track and precision is everything.
bLRTKUBItCJugduUJvQiXngiNpuu3rkLfkd5OQOT4sQuJyrsbUjF-NoFZKXlyyKfecPMhnq5lgrOCniis=w2494-h1870-no.jpg

The last step I did prior to install was I had to increase the countersink size because the Allen bolts I used did not sit flush with the track. Probably makes little difference but my OCD kicked in and off to the races we went.

Finshed and bolted

u6A2UuQLa6l0qZmLfKFU2Y-zHlmfWwFwSMv2TH7Xbppd-L7f4O0T2HdoXS_FKmqh6mFz4bz3kRBAwmsv4=w1404-h1870-no.jpg
Beautiful job and much cheaper than the Mopar option that you still have to install. Questions... Which Allen bolt inserts did you use? I couldn't any find on Amazon with the flange yours appear to have.

OP
OP
Retro Bait

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Retro Bait

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is a must have. This is probably one of the cheapest easiest mods I did on my Tacoma. If I decide to get a JT, I will add l track to the sides but also the floor of the bed. On my Tacoma it took some planning to do the track on the floor of the bed. The Tacoma had alot of emission stuff towards the front of the bed.

I probably will, I am looking at the motorcycle wheel chock that US cargo sells. It uses a special size but short track. Probably put that in 1st then the other pieces as I see a need.

I got to use this setup this week and it blows away the last setup I had in my Tunrda.

Katch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green olive Rubicon, Walker Bay RIB and a couple Aprilias
I probably will get the L Track soon. Instead of drilling holes in the bed, I am planning to drill the L Track to match the 4 threaded holes already in there. Was there a reason you didn't go that route? I also see you have a rolling tonneau. Looks like the L Track doesn't interfere...that's good to see!

Thanks for the write-up

Steve

OP
OP
Retro Bait

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I probably will get the L Track soon. Instead of drilling holes in the bed, I am planning to drill the L Track to match the 4 threaded holes already in there. Was there a reason you didn't go that route? I also see you have a rolling tonneau. Looks like the L Track doesn't interfere...that's good to see!

Thanks for the write-up

Steve
I drilled the holes just to make it more secure and I had the tools to do it. Don't know if necessary but satisfies my OCD.

Katch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green olive Rubicon, Walker Bay RIB and a couple Aprilias
I drilled the holes just to make it more secure and I had the tools to do it. Don't know if necessary but satisfies my OCD.
Thanks for the response. I'm a little nervous about drilling holes in my 3-day old JT.

Yours looks good that way. I'm definitely ordering some

OP
OP
Retro Bait

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response. I'm a little nervous about drilling holes in my 3-day old JT.

Yours looks good that way. I'm definitely ordering some
I let mine age a week before I violated it. After the 1st hole you never look back!

Sponsored

nas4a

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S Diesel
I just did this on my ‘22 JTSD and wanted to say thank you for the details and part list. Saved me a ton of time and turned out great. I put a track on the cab side as well.

The Rivet nut tool was a good add to my tool box. I’ll probably use it on our boat this summer for some add on storage and organization.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks for the write-up

Steve
That's what I did - drilled the track to match the truck. I can always add later if I want to but so far it's been strong.

Jeep Gladiator Installing L track rail-anchoes

Jeep Gladiator Installing L track 20210120_174520_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Installing L track 20210120_164019

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have trouble with the rivnuts due to the thickness of the spray-in bed liner? I drilled and put rivnuts in place to hold latches for my tonneau cover to keep it from being lifted without opening the tail gate. The rivnuts didn't want to grip behind the metal due to the total thickness of the metal and bedliner.

dpowell5523

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
what size is the hardware to utilize the holes that already exist in the bed?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
6mm 1.0 (pitch of 1 is assume unless otherwise stated so one could say simply 6mm)
Sponsored