Sponsored

Installing rock rails solo with no fancy equipment.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
If I never got started on installing these rock rails they would just sit. So, off to work.

I was hemming and hawing about how to get these things mounted. They require drilling 20 holes into the frame, so I needed a way to get the thing very stable and snug. I decided to loop some straps around the roll cage to support the outside at the correct height, and then use a 2x4 and floor jack to press the rails in place, to the point the truck was being lifted a little to ensure it wouldn't slip.

Marking and drilling the holes now, realizing my batteries are old and suck so going to take a little time. Then off to prep and paint. Prob be another week or 2 of on and off work but it's started.

I took off the stock rails to force me to finish the job, the wife and kid will no doubt keep reminding me they need the step.

Jeep Gladiator Installing rock rails solo with no fancy equipment. 1620327071280

Jeep Gladiator Installing rock rails solo with no fancy equipment. 1620327083371
Sponsored

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
As a single guy whose friends are rarely available when I am, I have also had to be innovative on Jeep mod installations. Good work!

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Had to do the same thing. Just be careful you’re not changing the angle of the mounting brackets ever so slightly when you lift the sliders into place, on mine it was really hard to make sure the brackets were actually flush or plumb or however you wanna say it.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Had to do the same thing. Just be careful you’re not changing the angle of the mounting brackets ever so slightly when you lift the sliders into place, on mine it was really hard to make sure the brackets were actually flush or plumb or however you wanna say it.
Yup I noticed that. But really no matter how you prop it you'll get the same issue.

I got all the bottom bolts drilled, tapped, and in tight and only then marked and drilled the sides.

No matter what I will probably have somebody tack weld some spots just for extra protection. There's 20 bolts holding these things in that all are going to get red loctite so it's going to be a pain in the ass to take off no matter what, a few tack welds won't be the make or break to remove if something happens.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Yup I noticed that. But really no matter how you prop it you'll get the same issue.

I got all the bottom bolts drilled, tapped, and in tight and only then marked and drilled the sides.

No matter what I will probably have somebody tack weld some spots just for extra protection. There's 20 bolts holding these things in that all are going to get red loctite so it's going to be a pain in the ass to take off no matter what, a few tack welds won't be the make or break to remove if something happens.
My thoughts exactly. I stripped a couple of the supplied bolts pretty easily and had to drill them out and put bigger bolts in a few holes.
I was surprised how thin the frame is even though it’s hardened steel yada yada..

Sponsored

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
My thoughts exactly. I stripped a couple of the supplied bolts pretty easily and had to drill them out and put bigger bolts in a few holes.
I was surprised how thin the frame is even though it’s hardened steel yada yada..
Yup. The rails take some effort to drill but in tapping it is surprisingly soft. I got 32 of the 40 bolts tapped today and nothing stripped. a few were angled bc of just how I was able to drill, but I don't think a shop would have gotten any better results. A few tack welds just to be sure.

salsadoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
VKS rock rails right?

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
If I never got started on installing these rock rails they would just sit. So, off to work.

I was hemming and hawing about how to get these things mounted. They require drilling 20 holes into the frame, so I needed a way to get the thing very stable and snug. I decided to loop some straps around the roll cage to support the outside at the correct height, and then use a 2x4 and floor jack to press the rails in place, to the point the truck was being lifted a little to ensure it wouldn't slip.

Marking and drilling the holes now, realizing my batteries are old and suck so going to take a little time. Then off to prep and paint. Prob be another week or 2 of on and off work but it's started.

I took off the stock rails to force me to finish the job, the wife and kid will no doubt keep reminding me they need the step.

Jeep Gladiator Installing rock rails solo with no fancy equipment. 1620327083371

High tech shit ya got going on there! Love it.

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
Installing stuff by yourself can definitely be a pain. At the time I didn't have a floor jack so I used bumper plates to line up my rails and then got under them to lift them up to where they needed to be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Installing stuff by yourself can definitely be a pain. At the time I didn't have a floor jack so I used bumper plates to line up my rails and then got under them to lift them up to where they needed to be.
The biggest DIY issue it turns out is how freaking long it takes even thin coats of rust-o-leum to cure. I did the underside first and let it sit for 36 hours. Still too soft when I flipped it to do the top visible side. Going to have to do some touch ups after the install and leave the rails in the sun. At least it isn't the visible side. Going to have to devise some hanging device to just get the whole thing done at once and cure like a ham for like a week.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Reminds me of how I do bumpers, doors and other stuff. I make a lot of jigs, even large tools sometimes like my engine lift I made decades ago - and them made a piece for it to help me remove and reinstall doors, or hold doors while I remove and rebuild hinges - without having to remove all the electrical cables, mirror cables, etc.

Good job, very creative. By the way, Rustoleum is the slowest drying paint I've ever used. I like it well enough, but it's not compatible with some of the primers and other paints I use and it's slow as syrup on a winter day as far as drying times.

Ratchet and other straps are your friends........
as well as several floor jacks, 8 jack stands, come-alongs and other stuff

Jeep Gladiator Installing rock rails solo with no fancy equipment. sx4-springs-hinges-033

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Reminds me of how I do bumpers, doors and other stuff. I make a lot of jigs, even large tools sometimes like my engine lift I made decades ago - and them made a piece for it to help me remove and reinstall doors, or hold doors while I remove and rebuild hinges - without having to remove all the electrical cables, mirror cables, etc.

Good job, very creative. By the way, Rustoleum is the slowest drying paint I've ever used. I like it well enough, but it's not compatible with some of the primers and other paints I use and it's slow as syrup on a winter day as far as drying times.

Jeep Gladiator Installing rock rails solo with no fancy equipment. sx4-springs-hinges-033
Yup. I always do the underside first. I am going to have a lot of cleanup to do of the underside from flipping over and doing the visible side. But no matter. My front bumper took FOREVER to cure. But the steps are... stepped on. Going to work around that and install as is, good side up, sit in sun. Get in other side for kiddo.

Is that a... rock... on the jackstand?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. I always do the underside first. I am going to have a lot of cleanup to do of the underside from flipping over and doing the visible side. But no matter. My front bumper took FOREVER to cure. But the steps are... stepped on. Going to work around that and install as is, good side up, sit in sun. Get in other side for kiddo.

Is that a... rock... on the jackstand?
LOL - not a rock. It's an old round table cloth a painter left behind years and years ago. I use it on jacks, stands, other stuff, to protect what I'm working with. It's currently on a stand I'm using to help support the thousand pound Javelin doors while I swap door hinges. It's funny, I did another look at that pic after your comment and yeah, it sort of does look like a rock! Wow.

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member

I had to use my head and a rag to hold up my fender flares so I could use my hands to thread on the first couple of bolts. Definitely not the most comfortable install.
Sponsored